Why the Beats Hate?
May 20, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #61 of 2,037
I have listened to the Beats Solos and Pros. The solos were bad at any price point. I wouldn't pay $20 for them. Bass was mushy, mids and highs non-existent. If you prefer that sound signature, there are plenty of options in the $5 - $20 range that will make you very happy. The Pros were surprisingly decent sounding after hearing the solos. I would say they compare well to other phones in the $50-$100 range. If you're happy with paying around 300% markup for style, they are a great choice.

May 20, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #64 of 2,037
I personally don't hate the headphones themselves, I dislike their price-to-performance ratio, the sleazy way they are advertised, and their build quality. The description of them as being the be-all-end-all headphone really bothers me. If people are oblivious to the fact that there are better headphones out there that is fine, it's the same as when I'm oblivious about better quality products in industries that I don't take an interest it. But when people that have been exposed to headphones that have the same sound signature and are clearly a superior product, and blindly follow Beats due to their popularity it irks me. I mean yes, some people like boomy, fluid bass that has a large impact... but there are many headphones out there that can provide that and still look decent, so why don't I see people walking around with these alongside Beats? I have no problem with the rest of Monsters line, probably because they aren't as common. It's just hearing how great Beats are 24/7 makes me want to bash my head off of a wall. I mean I'm sure some people genuinely think Beats are great and that's okay, but a lot of people (particularly on Head-Fi where we know the headphone industry) lie to themselves to justify the look of the headphone and I think that is wrong... I'm not talking about the OP or anyone in particular. I mean for 100,000 dollars I could buy an exotic sports car that has decent value and is popular, or I could buy a muscle car that could drive circles around it (I'm in North America by the way, and I don't know a lot about cars I was just trying to make an example). I think the problem with people bashing Beats around here is because people listen purely for performance. They would wear a torture device on their head if it gave them better sound quality, so when they see Beats it goes against what they believe in.

May 20, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #65 of 2,037
Well said Todd!

You might want to look up TopGear's show on YouTube where they ran the Viper vs BMW M3 North American "Muscle Cars" don't handle too well. You have to take everything Clarkson says with a grain of salt as well cause he has a hatred for anything American... :D

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

May 20, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #66 of 2,037
Quote:
I think the point is that there is not a single studio in the world that uses Beats for reference. It's all Sonys/Sennheisers/AudioTechnicas and even Fostex.

Actually... Lil'Wayne uses Beats in his studio
wink_face.gif

May 20, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #67 of 2,037
Quote:
I personally don't hate the headphones themselves, I dislike their price-to-performance ratio, the sleazy way they are advertised, and their build quality. The description of them as being the be-all-end-all headphone really bothers me. If people are oblivious to the fact that there are better headphones out there that is fine, it's the same as when I'm oblivious about better quality products in industries that I don't take an interest it. But when people that have been exposed to headphones that have the same sound signature and are clearly a superior product, and blindly follow Beats due to their popularity it irks me. I mean yes, some people like boomy, fluid bass that has a large impact... but there are many headphones out there that can provide that and still look decent, so why don't I see people walking around with these alongside Beats? I have no problem with the rest of Monsters line, probably because they aren't as common. It's just hearing how great Beats are 24/7 makes me want to bash my head off of a wall. I mean I'm sure some people genuinely think Beats are great and that's okay, but a lot of people (particularly on Head-Fi where we know the headphone industry) lie to themselves to justify the look of the headphone and I think that is wrong... I'm not talking about the OP or anyone in particular. I mean for 100,000 dollars I could buy an exotic sports car that has decent value and is popular, or I could buy a muscle car that could drive circles around it (I'm in North America by the way, and I don't know a lot about cars I was just trying to make an example). I think the problem with people bashing Beats around here is because people listen purely for performance. They would wear a torture device on their head if it gave them better sound quality, so when they see Beats it goes against what they believe in.

This is funny because it's true. Sometime when I see myself wearing one of my "audiophile" headphones, I'm like What!!

May 20, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #68 of 2,037
Guys, I've removed some posts. Please try posting without the "He said..." "You..." and whatnot. Argue about the points raised, not about each other.

FYI, I had the same Apple Store experience. They sound ok with store demo music, which is almost all compressed and the kind of music their target market listens to. With classic jazz, for example, they sound awful.

May 20, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #69 of 2,037
Quote:
Well said Todd!

You might want to look up TopGear's show on YouTube where they ran the Viper vs BMW M3 North American "Muscle Cars" don't handle too well. You have to take everything Clarkson says with a grain of salt as well cause he has a hatred for anything American...
biggrin.gif

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

The muscle car I had in mind was the Viper actually
wink_face.gif
. I guess the Corvette ZR1 or Mustang GT 500 would've fit too. I really want to like the new Camaro models, but I prefer the older sleeker ones like the Z28. I wish I knew more about cars, my father knew a lot and helped his friend restore and upgrade all kinds of classic cars for his collection. I'm still in high school so I've got time to learn, but I have trouble visualizing the ways things work and fit together (I once took a disc brake apart, a had no idea how to get it back together... I eventually did but it took a lot of looking at a diagram).

May 20, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #70 of 2,037
Quote:
The muscle car I had in mind was the Viper actually
wink_face.gif
. I guess the Corvette ZR1 or Mustang GT 500 would've fit too. I really want to like the new Camaro models, but I prefer the older sleeker ones like the Z28. I wish I knew more about cars, my father knew a lot and helped his friend restore and upgrade all kinds of classic cars for his collection. I'm still in high school so I've got time to learn, but I have trouble visualizing the ways things work and fit together (I once took a disc brake apart, a had no idea how to get it back together... I eventually did but it took a lot of looking at a diagram).

Being a car nut myself, i often refer to them when i'm trying to make a point about audio relate question, and for the record, i too, prefer the original musclecars, after all, for all i know, Mopar never made a 4 doors Charger back in the day
rolleyes.gif

May 20, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #72 of 2,037
I really don't mind beats. What I mind is how people think of them. Beats fanboys simply thinks they have the best hps in the world. Most reaction I got when I carry my DT1350 is "are they better than my beats?". I always respond with "that depends" to not lead a intense debate on why DT1350 is better than beats. Also, recently, I've had two of my friends try SRH940, DT1350, and SE535, and all of them thought that beats were much better as it had more "beat"(I'm guessing this means bass).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back