WHY / HOW CAN A MAXI-MOY (CMOY) BE AS GOOD AS... MOST ANY OTHER AMP ???
Jun 9, 2009 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Gradofan2

Headphoneus Supremus
Can someone explain how a lowly Shellbrook Maxi-Moy SS amp (with OPA 627s) can be virtually as good as a WA6 SEM, or Millett MiniMax, or GS Solo SRG, or whatever???

My Maxi-Moy sounds virtually as good as my other amps. Well... maybe not quite as good as my WA6 SEM - but, very close! Especially, if the source is my M24 tube DAC, or my SA8001 with my GF B-283 tube buffer. And... by the way its power / gain is just as great as the other amps.

And that's with all my phones - no exceptions!

How is this possible???

What is it that allows a CMoy to sound as good as much more expensive amps???

Is there something unique about the Maxi-Moy, that permits it to be so great???

Rather... I think its the "less is more principle" - exceptional design, apparently trumps all else.

Jun 9, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 12
Achieving the same output volume, power level perception or the same gain level does not mean that the amp is just as good or better as another amp that can perform the same function. Going loud is piss easy. A powerful little amp will make the R10 go loud. Doesn't mean it's makes it sound as good as a more capable amp.

May I ask why you use a tube buffer?

Jun 9, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 12
Especially since he already has a tube dac. Why add a buffer thats only purpose is add color distortion and tube flavor for SS equipment.
confused_face(1).gif

Jun 9, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Achieving the same output volume, power level perception or the same gain level does not mean that the amp is just as good or better as another amp that can perform the same function. Going loud is piss easy. A powerful little amp will make the R10 go loud. Doesn't mean it's makes it sound as good as a more capable amp.

May I ask why you use a tube buffer?

Read my comments more closely... the volume has nothing to do with it.

Its the equal, or nearly so, in all aspects of its SQ.

The tube buffer is used to give SS components the rich sound of tubes, which they otherwise lack.

Jun 9, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Especially since he already has a tube dac. Why add a buffer thats only purpose is add color distortion and tube flavor for SS equipment.
confused_face(1).gif

Tube Buffer is for my SA8001 with SS amps.

Jun 10, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, lots of reasons:

1) CMOY is actually a great amp design and most opamp-based amps follow it.
2) Voltage swing is not a limitation if using 2x 9V batteries
3) Current output is not a limitation with the right opamps (not OPA627)
4) Some opamps sound good by themselves, why use anything around it.

That's what I thought - though, I know nothing about its design.

Its SQ is simply amazing - compared to my other incredibly great amps (or those I've had / tried - WA6 SEM, Millett MiniMax, SP Extreme, GS Solo, DV332, X-CAN v8 & v3, WA 3, etc.)!

And... I use the walwart PSU, rather than the 9V batteries, which are too much of a "headache." Current, nor voltage, output is an issue at all - as I said... this amp drives all my phones equally well - both low and high impedance, at only about 12 O'clock on the POT.

I've tried a lot of other opamps - none sound as good as the OPA627s - very powerful, rich "tube-like" sound, while still having great speed, detail and clarity.

And... yes... it does sound pretty good without the tube buffer... but... the tube buffer adds that last bit of "tube goodness." Though... I could quite easily live without it, with the Maxi Moy, the OPA627s, and and my sources - which both have a tube-like sound.

But... what keeps amazing me... is how well it compares to the sound of my other amps, in all respects - yet its a lowly Maxi-Moy!

Jun 10, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone explain how a lowly Shellbrook Maxi-Moy SS amp (with OPA 627s) can be virtually as good as a WA6 SEM, or Millett MiniMax, or GS Solo SRG, or whatever???

Why do I get the feeling that this is a trick question?
ph34r.gif

Jun 10, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My Maxi-Moy sounds virtually as good as my other amps. Well... maybe not quite as good as my WA6 SEM - but, very close! Especially, if the source is my M24 tube DAC, or my SA8001 with my GF B-283 tube buffer. And... by the way its power / gain is just as great as the other amps.

And that's with all my phones - no exceptions!

How is this possible???

What is it that allows a CMoy to sound as good as much more expensive amps???

Is there something unique about the Maxi-Moy, that permits it to be so great???

Rather... I think its the "less is more principle" - exceptional design, apparently trumps all else.

Because "good" and "best" are subjective. Happy listenin'.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back