why are all headphones considered bang for your buck and comapred to headphones more expensive? Also includes my summery of sound and placebo effect.
Jun 27, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #61 of 101
+2 on staying away from Head-Fi. (in a good way of course).

I come on here in stages since 2008. First was Triple.Fi 10's, hiatus, then came back here and found out about the Sennheiser IE8. BOUGHT it. Hiatus, BOOM bought Monster TPC.  Hiatus, now purchased Ultrasone Pro 900's.

I think my hiatus is due soon. Post some impressions to help people then that's it. This site is too addictive. You become reliant on people's impressions and think they are for you. Works for some people's taste, some don't work.

Don't get too obsessive, as what Joelby mentioned. I know its difficult, but you gotta find some sort of perspective.

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #62 of 101

Quote:
+2 on staying away from Head-Fi. (in a good way of course).

I come on here in stages since 2008. First was Triple.Fi 10's, hiatus, then came back here and found out about the Sennheiser IE8. BOUGHT it. Hiatus, BOOM bought Monster TPC.  Hiatus, now purchased Ultrasone Pro 900's.

I think my hiatus is due soon. Post some impressions to help people then that's it. This site is too addictive. You become reliant on people's impressions and think they are for you. Works for some people's taste, some don't work.

Don't get too obsessive, as what Joelby mentioned. I know its difficult, but you gotta find some sort of perspective.

aw snap. oh well i enjoy this site so much though. i couldn't just up and leave. i need to gradually work my way out.

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #63 of 101

Quote:
aw snap. oh well i enjoy this site so much though. i couldn't just up and leave. i need to gradually work my way out.

Good luck. I spend more time reading these forums than playing flash games. WHY CAN'T I STOP. Online comics still get me off this site, though. You just can't beat funny.

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #64 of 101

Quote:
Good luck. I spend more time reading these forums than playing flash games. WHY CAN'T I STOP. Online comics still get me off this site, though. You just can't beat funny.

i know what you mean. it's like an addiction.

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #65 of 101
Personally, I don't believe in "bang for the buck" anymore.  I believe there's good headphones, then good and overpriced headphones.  There's also bad/bad & overpriced too, but that's another topic.

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #66 of 101

Quote:

Just avoid the 'gear' threads, and concentrate on the music ones.  I pop in on the music game thread a bit - I usually just use titles from my own collection - it can be a lot of fun.  And take part in some of the music discussion threads.  If you really want to open your musical tastes a bit (note - I'm not saying change from metal either) - just keep tabs on the 'what am I listening to now' thread and 'female vocals' or 'alternative' or something else you don't usually listen to.  Then make a point of hunting down at least 2-3 new tracks a day from the ones mentioned (I usually use youtube), and you may even find that you slowly expand the genres you listen to.

Since I found head-fi, the cost of my gear has substantially increased from what I started with - yet I still feel I have value for what I've spent.  But by far the biggest value I've had from head-fi has been the introduction to new bands / vocalists / artists.  I've bought a lot of new music, and I'm absolutely loving it.  I've found so many new artists who I'd never heard of before, but whose work is absolutely stunning!  And I'm enjoying my music more now than I ever have before.

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #67 of 101
Sorry if I'm trying to persuade you, I'm not honestly lol.

I buy so much crap with other things (like my HT system, which I upgrade every year). I tend to stay away, because you always feel like you have to convince yourself that you need something "fresh" again.

On another note, have you looked into the Ultrasones? I think I read a while back, you were getting the Alessandro MS-Pro's?

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #68 of 101

Quote:
Sorry if I'm trying to persuade you, I'm not honestly lol.

I buy so much crap with other things (like my HT system, which I upgrade every year). I tend to stay away, because you always feel like you have to convince yourself that you need something "fresh" again.

On another note, have you looked into the Ultrasones? I think I read a while back, you were getting the Alessandro MS-Pro's?

yes i ordered the alessandro ms1. i bought it because i listen to heavy metal.

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #70 of 101

Quote:
Good choice. I've auditioned them, they are fantastic, really energetic sound, but not for me because I can't seem have them comfortable for my head.

Did you order the revised MS-1i?

nah i ordered the just plain ms1. it was a little cheaper and i didn't know of what differences there were.

Jun 27, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #71 of 101

Quote:
I can't believe there are serious suggestions of throwing in the towel because the music he loves tends to be poorly recorded. You guys really do listen to gear through the music and not the other way around.

Well he can't enjoy it anymore because he feels ripped off because he paid $130 for his Shures and $80 for an E7 and doesn't hear extra detail, so he might as well get some of his money back for other uses. I love metal, and while I can't exactly hear a difference in detail in a lot of metal between my DT48 (Yes, people, I listen to metal with my DT48. It's actually awesome for my tastes.) and my K271, but the different presentations provide a different experience. Maybe that's what Casey needs to get lost in the music again.

Jun 27, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #74 of 101

Quote:
You're a mad man!

Metal is surprisingly sublime with them. I have no idea why, but I can get past the flaws they present and just rock out.

Jun 27, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #75 of 101
Now hold on here.
I've read your thread a couple pages in, and I have to ask because I saw you said it...you're using your computer to drive these? As in.....onboard sound?
Is that all you're plugging your headphones into?

Because if that's the case, I have almost no doubt that is why your phones aren't sounding as good as all the shining reviews and comments from people say, which I'm sure would feel a disappointment.

I do have further questions, such as whether you're listening to Lossless or Lossy audio, have you tried these headphones with a good stereo, do you own a DAC (though I'm guessing not), etc., all things that can help you with what you're hearing.
But that won't be necessary (at least yet) if you are seriously using these headphones with onboard sound.
Plug your phones into something that can actually drive and handle them and I think you will be surprised.
Best part is, since you already have the gear, buying a sound card or something of the sort would be all you'd need.

Far too many motherboards, especially ones packaged in prebuilt, budget computers, are absolutely not enough to have pricier headphones plugged into.
"Stock" or "onboard" equipment isn't designed with higher-end (and higher-priced
tongue.gif
) equipment or quality in mind, just as higher-end headphones are not designed for onboard sound.
It's hand in hand.
Maybe not the best analogy, but getting high-end headphones when all you're going to do is plug it into an onboard jack is a bit like getting fine china and eating fast food on it.

So what you need is something that can go good with what you have. Something that can be an equivalent.
Thankfully, with all that is available out there, equivalent does not necessarily mean equivalent in cost.
There are quite a few good sound cards, stereos, DACs and the like out there that are good in price and quality, that I'm sure with reading and researching can lead you to what's just right.
and all it will take I'm sure is a little help from your head-fi friends.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back