What's your view on custom headphone cables?
Aug 2, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #31 of 881
I recently purchased a set of HD 580's with three sets of cables, two custom cables and the third an HD 650 cable. The two custom cables sound very similar, but the 650 cable doesn't sound quite as good as either of the customs. (Narrower soundstage, not quite as transparent sounding. It's not a night and day difference, but there is a difference.) That being said, I would never bother buying actual after market "audiophile" cables, because they charge far more than they are worth. I felt the package deal was worth the asking price.

Aug 2, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #32 of 881
ROBSCIX wrote:

Nice cable.  Post your impressions when you get a chance to have a listen.

Will they ever get here?

atsmile.gif

Aug 2, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #33 of 881

Quote:
I recently purchased a set of HD 580's with three sets of cables, two custom cables and the third an HD 650 cable. The two custom cables sound very similar, but the 650 cable doesn't sound quite as good as either of the customs. (Narrower soundstage, not quite as transparent sounding. It's not a night and day difference, but there is a difference.) That being said, I would never bother buying actual after market "audiophile" cables, because they charge far more than they are worth. I felt the package deal was worth the asking price.

That is ideal for a mate to help you with a blind test
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 3, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #35 of 881

Quote:
You think that's expensive?

How about a 3 ft cable for $11,000?

http://www.jenalabs.com/interconnects/interconnect-09.html

Haha oh I know all about the Jenalabs cables; back last year I went around for about a week and just looked at, read up on, and shopped for custom cables to use. I didn't really buy anything but I just wanted to familiarize myself with them.

I saw 3000$ power cords and all. Do I knock them? Nope; haven't heard em. Would I ever buy em? Nope :)

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #36 of 881

Quote:

I respect that opinion as that is how I feel most of the time. If I'm looking for a custom cable, I might look at some custom cables online to get a range of the pricing and see how well built they are. For sound quality though you can get the same or better for much cheaper if you get someone here with great DIY skills to do it for you.

I have the Blue-Dragon from Moon-Audio but I bought it second hand from someone here at a good discount. I like the cable and the sonic qualities that come with it.
I'm thinking of getting a SPC cable for classical/acoustic but I'm definitely going to users here to make it. 

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #37 of 881
Expensive cables don't do anything except maybe look nice, however this is the Science-Free Forum, I'm forbidden to elaborate further...

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #38 of 881
One option in the poll is not correctly stated. It is not that I don't believe in it, there's nothing to believe. 

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #39 of 881
A guy here on head-fi is getting a pair of bass light AKG K1000 with Black Dragon recable (bare wire at end). I am getting a pair of bass light AKG K1000 with Valhalla recable (bare wire at end). It sure is going to be fun trying to listen for differences. Of course, we will use exactly the same systems for the AKG K1000 to test them. I have the HLLY TAMP-20 and he has an old Pioneer speaker amp and a B22 with speaker out apparently. 

Aug 3, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #40 of 881

Quote:
A guy here on head-fi is getting a pair of bass light AKG K1000 with Black Dragon recable (bare wire at end). I am getting a pair of bass light AKG K1000 with Valhalla recable (bare wire at end). It sure is going to be fun trying to listen for differences. Of course, we will use exactly the same systems for the AKG K1000 to test them. I have the HLLY TAMP-20 and he has an old Pioneer speaker amp and a B22 with speaker out apparently. 

How will you be certain that any changes you hear in audio quality cannot be attributed to manufacturing tolerances that are slightly different in both these same cans.  Are the cables easily detachable?

Aug 4, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #41 of 881
No they are not unfortunately. Well, the guys K1000 have stock cable soldered and have the Black Dragon attachable cable (connect to 4 pin XLR of stock cable I assume). 

I don't even know if I will keep these K1000 or not. I mean, for a few hundred more, I can have a great condition recabled pair that I can easily tolerate. I was never 100% sure I would love these K1000 anyway. 

Aug 4, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #43 of 881
There is always the possiblity of using a ruler or compass etc 
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #45 of 881

Anyway...I am in this hobby for the gear and to experience different equipment, not the music unfortunately. That is just who I am. With computers, I love keeping up to date and have a very good system made for gaming, even though I rarely game anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back