What's your view on custom headphone cables?
Aug 1, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #5 of 881
I made my own one for my K702s, but that was only because I can and it was fun. They make no difference. I do not believe that any cable makes a difference outwith placebo or psychoacoustic reasons. So I have convinced myself such cables make no difference, as others convince themselves that they do, which leaves me with more money to spend on other things.

Aug 1, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #6 of 881
Generally stock cables are way too long and really irritating to keep coiled if you're near your amplifier. That's the main reason I'd go for a custom cable, but not of the $300 kind.

Aug 1, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 881

Quote:
I made my own one for my K702s, but that was only because I can and it was fun. They make no difference. I do not believe that any cable makes a difference outwith placebo or psychoacoustic reasons. So I have convinced myself such cables make no difference, as others convince themselves that they do, which leaves me with more money to spend on other things.

So you've only listened to custom cables that you have made to come to that conclusion? I'm not trying to convince you that cables make a difference but until you have tried something "different" (maybe a higher quality cable or something of a different material like silver) you shouldn't discount all cables.

That's like me saying that all earbuds suck because I've only been exposed to cheap earbuds in stores and stock ones without knowing about the Yuin or Sennheiser brands. 

Aug 1, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #9 of 881
No, I'd rather spend my money on something else.

Aug 1, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #10 of 881
This is a highly polarizing issue, with people on both sides of the fence and neither side will change their views. I have listened to the same unit with stock and upgraded cables, thus why I believe in cables. Not all cables make a headphone sound better!

Aug 1, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #11 of 881
wow, i'm surprised that some experienced folks here are taking such a negative view. sure, like ANYTHING else in hi-fi diffs can be subtle and there is plenty of snake oil to go around. but cables are certainly capable of making significant alterations in the sound of a phone. i'd be more inclined to spend a few hundred on a cable for an hd800 rather than spending thousands more on amplification. it'd likely be a far bigger bang for the buck!

Aug 1, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #12 of 881
All the cables I use at the moment for my Senns are custom made. By me or one of my friends. I prefer them.

Aug 1, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #13 of 881

Quote:
wow, i'm surprised that some experienced folks here are taking such a negative view. sure, like ANYTHING else in hi-fi diffs can be subtle and there is plenty of snake oil to go around. but cables are certainly capable of making significant alterations in the sound of a phone. i'd be more inclined to spend a few hundred on a cable for an hd800 rather than spending thousands more on amplification. it'd likely be a far bigger bang for the buck!

In my experience, that is absolutely not the case. 

Here's what I believe.

A $30ish cable is better than a $2 cable.

A $300 cable is no better than a $30 cable.

Aug 1, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #14 of 881

Quote:
Cables are a "last tweak", I first get better gear like amps, dacs, headphones, etc.

x2

I think it depends on the headphone, as to whether or not the cable makes a difference. I am not going to put a Piccolino Cable on my JVC Marshmallows, but I can believe they will better the sound quality on top-notch IEMs (ex. JH13).

However, I think you would get a much bigger performance boost by improving your headphones, source, source material, amp, and DAC. Then you can worry about your cable, unless the ergonomics are bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back