What's your view on custom headphone cables?
Aug 1, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #17 of 881
It is my last tweak with both fullsize and portable rigs. 

Aug 1, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #18 of 881

Quote:
I think it depends on the headphone, as to whether or not the cable makes a difference. I am not going to put a Piccolino Cable on my JVC Marshmallows, but I can believe they will better the sound quality on top-notch IEMs (ex. JH13).

The TW cables I sampled did nothing for my JHs. This is of course just my own experience.

Aug 1, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #19 of 881
My new, custom, way cool looking, 10' Double Helix Cable, headphone cables will be in by mid next week.  Received the shipping notice on Thursday.

Spent $380.00 USD, but half of that was pretty much for outer sheathing and a custom aluminum splitter.  Time will tell if they're worth the money above looking cool.  Or you can run with the lamp cord looking headphone cables provided by Sennheiser.

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #20 of 881
Jesus.... that's a lot for a cable...can't put a price on enjoyment can you? Granted i don't know if I would shovel that much out but this hobby is just something else... the emotions that are brought out through music through this high quality equipment can't be priced... IMO anyway. 

Aug 2, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #21 of 881
I can tell a difference between a crappy $2 1M RCA cable and my Audioquest King Cobra 1M RCA's, so for now I do believe cables do make a difference, but it may be because it is built better with better sleeving etc. I am getting a 40cm pair of custom made Nordost Valkyrja w/ Eichmann Silver Bullet RCA's in a few weeks, so I am looking forward at comparing those to King Cobra RCA's. 40cm vs 1M, I know, but at least that should make it easier to telling a difference between cable lengths and quality. I will compare with my AKG K1000 which should arrive over one of the next few days. 

I will not vote as of yet because of this 
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #22 of 881

Quote:
Jesus.... that's a lot for a cable...can't put a price on enjoyment can you? Granted i don't know if I would shovel that much out but this hobby is just something else... the emotions that are brought out through music through this high quality equipment can't be priced... IMO anyway. 

You think that's expensive?

How about a 3 ft cable for $11,000?

http://www.jenalabs.com/interconnects/interconnect-09.html

Aug 2, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #23 of 881

Quote:
My new, custom, way cool looking, 10' Double Helix Cable, headphone cables will be in by mid next week.  Received the shipping notice on Thursday.

Spent $380.00 USD, but half of that was pretty much for outer sheathing and a custom aluminum splitter.  Time will tell if they're worth the money above looking cool.  Or you can run with the lamp cord looking headphone cables provided by Sennheiser.

smily_headphones1.gif

I'll take the lamp cord and buy wine with the left-over....

Aug 2, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #24 of 881
Cables do matter but actually replacing a cheapo stock cable like you get for instance with the HD600 or the HD650, with a thin professional studio cable - one per each transducer, makes the whole sense which custom cable makers make benefit of, and charge lots of money for it. Such a thin microphone cable costs about $1 per meter and is made of "lowly" OFC. Once you know how to connect the cable and its shield, you get all the possible improvement. Sometimes it can be none, when the cable is already good. Guess why the Beyerdynamic took this route with the Tesla T1 model? I re-wired several headphones with this one. http://www.conducfil.com/NovaWeb/ARCHIVOS/03014%20I.pdf
The HD565 sound is cleaner and perfectly ordered, with no congestion or aggression. The HD650 become intriguing instead of boring. All of this for pennies.

Aug 2, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #28 of 881

Quote:

So you've only listened to custom cables that you have made to come to that conclusion? I'm not trying to convince you that cables make a difference but until you have tried something "different" (maybe a higher quality cable or something of a different material like silver) you shouldn't discount all cables.

That's like me saying that all earbuds suck because I've only been exposed to cheap earbuds in stores and stock ones without knowing about the Yuin or Sennheiser brands. 

No, the main reason I have come to that conclusion is blind testing. No one who says such cables make a difference has come armed with blind testing proof to back that up. Furthermore, if I can get custom audio cable and connectors and make something that sounds no better, that backs up the blind testing result; it does not matter what cable you use, so long as the overall construction is fine, it makes no difference.

Aug 2, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #29 of 881
tim3320070 wrote:

I'll take the lamp cord and buy wine with the left-over....

Cool.  Even cheap-o "Three Buck Chuck" has it's place.  Now think about it, what do you have after you drink the wine and continuing, please, tell me the difference between spending your money on well built, hand crafted, way cool looking cables that you'll have for the rest of your life or spending your money on a wastebasket full of recycled bottles?

???
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back