What's your "reference" song?
Jun 5, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #61 of 128
Eric Clapton - Old love - Unplugged

Buddy Guy - Some songs in Buddy's Badest

B.B.King - Some songs in Riding with the King

Some Metallica, Boyz II Men, some Mariah Carey, Celine Dion old songs

Jun 5, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #63 of 128
If i want to check out the bass of my new equipment i always got to Duel of the Iron Mic by GZA the Genius, i dont know why but i just love the beat in this song that is accompanied with the bass.

Jun 13, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #64 of 128
female vocal by Jennifer Charles, male by Mike Patton in quite "wicked" song "Stroker Ace" :) great for vocals/vocals separation - on YT bit low quality, but im sure you can find it in flac or cd:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKiXYveusc0

Jun 13, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #65 of 128
Quote:
There are so many for so many different purposes tbh for me but if I was to choose one (for 'I can determine the most stuff about what it sounds like, it's strengths and it's flaws in one track than the others'):

'Protection' by Massive Attack 

Have you heard Brian Eno's remix of that song? It's called 'Protection (The Eno Mix)'. I truly love Massive Attack's album 'Protection' and think the title track is one of their best tracks ever. Yet, Eno's remix is even better. So much emotion and simply stellar mixing. Excellent headphone track!

Jun 13, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #66 of 128
I don't use music to start off. I go straight to the pink noise. If that sounds like crap, I don't even bother with music.

Jun 13, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #68 of 128
In and out of love- Armin van Buuren
Faces - Andy Moor 
Guren - the Gazette
 Piano Concerto No. 5 in E flat Op. 73- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Jun 13, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #69 of 128

Quote:
Have you heard Brian Eno's remix of that song? It's called 'Protection (The Eno Mix)'. I truly love Massive Attack's album 'Protection' and think the title track is one of their best tracks ever. Yet, Eno's remix is even better. So much emotion and simply stellar mixing. Excellent headphone track!

Thank you for mentioning this...I will get it!

Jun 17, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #71 of 128
for the bass resolution and speed - Prodigy "Breathe" - I mean - the whole "The Fat Of The Land" is excellent for heavy bass testing!

"Oh my God! That's the Funky crap!"

Jun 17, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #72 of 128
For bass, Any song from "pendulum"

Guitars, some metal....like "Amaranth" from nightwish. 

Jun 17, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #74 of 128

Jun 17, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #75 of 128
I'm deep into vintage speakers too and am used to dragging around a CD of my "reference" tracks with me when I go to demo something new...  I actually have several of these CD compilations but the one song that stands out on all of them, one of my personal favorite songs of all time I suppose, is Pink Floyd's "Fearless" from the album "Meddle".  On a great set of cans you should be able to really hear the reverberation of the guitar strings echoing off of the guitar body in the opening of the track.  They should really "buzz".   I've heard several thousands of dollars worth of speakers that couldn't pull that off accurately.

One of the big tracks I use for "full range" towers is Copeland's "Farewell for the Common Man".  At something close to realistic levels the drums and brass will bring lesser stereo systems to their knees in a matter of seconds.  This isn't so much a problem with cans although you will never get a realistic sound level without blowing the transducers (or your ear drums) apart anyway.  At a nice listening level most good cans can do this pretty well.  My AKG-701s loved this track, my new ATH-M50s have more bass presence but also distort in the lower band at the same volume level (not much break in time yet either).

For stereo imaging I like George Baker Selection "Little Green Bag" and some Alan Parsons Project.  For depth of soundstage I lean pretty heavily towards Diana Krall's "Live in Paris".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back