Whats the opinion of the ZAPFILTER ?
May 6, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #31 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Current out DACs usually want to see a dead short (virtual ground) on their output, which is why something like a current mirror is usually used in a discrete I/V. Putting resistors in series with the DAC chip outputs isn't going to get you there, unless I'm missing something...

The Zapfilter has a built in I/V stage. I believe the resistors are there to lower gain. That's the only reason I can think of them to be there.

May 7, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #32 of 49
one question, with the zip filter, is the optical input still enable? and if it is, which one would you recommend, coax or optical?

May 7, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #33 of 49
Quote:

one question, with the zip filter, is the optical input still enable? and if it is, which one would you recommend, coax or optical?

zapfilter. doesn't have much to do with the digital inputs either.

May 7, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #34 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmatrix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Zapfilter has a built in I/V stage. I believe the resistors are there to lower gain. That's the only reason I can think of them to be there.

Looking at their connection instructions, an unbalanced current output DAC (1st diagram) has no resistors inserted. This would be ala TDA1541A, etc. A balanced current output DAC (2nd diagram) shows 33R in series between the DAC and the Zap. I'm not famliar with this type of DAC, so will withold comment as to the desireablity of series resistance in an I/V stage on these.

May 7, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #35 of 49
I was reading through forums, and i found something interesting. its been said that both benchmark and Lavry has the feature of jitter rejection, that they would ignore/over look the jitters therefore less interference. I wonder if the zhaolu has a similar design

May 8, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #36 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by DSlayerZX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was reading through forums, and i found something interesting. its been said that both benchmark and Lavry has the feature of jitter rejection, that they would ignore/over look the jitters therefore less interference. I wonder if the zhaolu has a similar design

no offense, but this has almost nothing to do with the topic at hand. perhaps you could search for more information on this topic or start a new thread to address your particular concern.

May 8, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #37 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by videocrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no offense, but this has almost nothing to do with the topic at hand. perhaps you could search for more information on this topic or start a new thread to address your particular concern.

sorry for off topic.

But anyway, after careful calculation, I realized that a modded Zap filter Zhaolu and Ori modded zhaolu cost about the same, did anyone ever compare the difference between them?

I have a question toward zip filter.
On the zap filter, there are places which you connect the filter's out put to the jacks. I would like to fit the connection wire through the hole of the connection spot, what is the biggest size of the hooking wire I can use to put it though the hole?

May 8, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #38 of 49
Not sure I understand your question, DSlayerZX. Anyway, there's a head-fire in San Diego that just got his Ori Zhaolu, and I'm going over there to compare against my Zapped Zhaolu. The Zapfilter is not a filter btw, it's more like an amplifier. It takes over the entire analog stage of the DAC, replacing the DAC's existing analog stage.

Edit: Ah I understand your question now! 22 awg should fit for sure.

May 8, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there's a head-fire in San Diego
Edit: Ah I understand your question now! 22 awg should fit for sure.

Head-fire
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif

j/k j/k

hmm 22 awg, that makes a cable with 0.6438 mm in diameter, sounds like the hole isn't big.

But anyway, thank you for the info, waiting for your comparison.

May 8, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #40 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by DSlayerZX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Head-fire
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif

j/k j/k

hmm 22 awg, that makes a cable with 0.6438 mm in diameter, sounds like the hole isn't big.

But anyway, thank you for the info, waiting for your comparison.

I don't use the holes. I lie the cables flat onto the board and apply solder.

May 9, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #42 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, there's a head-fire in San Diego that just got his Ori Zhaolu, and I'm going over there to compare against my Zapped Zhaolu.

Has the comparison been done yet, cotdt?

May 9, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #44 of 49
lol, ahh.... mid terms.... such a wonderful word.
But anyway seriously though, UCSD is like a ghost town on weekends if there are no events.... I mean, DEAD SILENT

Good luck on mid term.... I got another one this Friday, and it will be extreme hard.. (just say that... last time... over half of the class receive F on the mid term after the curve)

Seriously wanted to know the result, since both of them cost at around same price, and both get really great reviews.

May 9, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #45 of 49
what class is that, DSlayerZX? crazy. i think the professor wants half the class to drop? i've been in a math class starting with 250 students. after the midterm there was only 5 students.

The thing about the Zapfilter is that it is balanced. So for me, the Zapfilter was the logical choice. It can turn an unbalanced amp into a balanced one, since all modern DAC chips support balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back