whats the big deal with the iPod?
Sep 12, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #46 of 124
Let me clarify a bit...

Say, someone has done his homework, and found that compared to other comparable players, that the iPod has the specifications specifically suited for him, and filled his necesities for pure operational purposes only. He then gets the iPod for its usability, and not for any other reason, whatsoever. A simple tool of the trade.

However, if you get the iPod because of how it looks, the name, whatever else goes along with an iPod, etc, it reflects on your personality. If I don't like the way a player looks, then I generally don't want to get it. But that is not to say I don't place priority in its performance, as I base decisions more on that than I do the former.

I was also missing a "most" infront of "people". I was specifying the people in my area. I also made a point that no one in my area goes to head-fi, so unlike many people here on head-fi, they have different needs, which almost always do not include anything about sound quality, durability, software, ease of use, or anything. Their prone to pick up any player without thinking about it, but it just so happens that the iPod is generally what is chosen, due to how it looks.

Unless you can print pictures onto a CD, fill a CD full with the pictures and pamphlets that go in, and whatever else you get when you buy a CD, you're still missing something that you can hold. It's a visual proof of purchase. I'm not saying you can't make your own CD, and make it look just like what is on the shelves of stores, but I'm just not the kind of person to put in the effort to create CDs like that. I'd like to view my collection of music when situated on selves, CDs bundled in with their origional packaging, instead of something that I burned myself. If I spent the effort to make the CD and case look just like the origional, then that would be something to be proud of too, but I have neither the time nor resources for it.

Another little note, they are physically etched into the CD, as opposed to giving the material a little state change as used on most conventional computer CD burners. You can get a powerful CD etcher if you want, but it is impractical. A purchased CD will last as long as the CD remains intact, and is not scratched. A burned one will last around 35 years before beginning to deteriorate. Not like it starts to fall apart in your hand or anything, but ones and zeros start to change one by one at this point, and this process accelerates over years.

But as it stands, you don't get any of this when you download. As well, you don't get high quality downloads either... or not so last time I checked. Maybe someone has started letting songs be downloaded at higher bitrates or what not... but I still demand lossless.

Sep 12, 2004 at 5:00 AM Post #47 of 124
Very nice post Aki, as I share the same opinions on the Dell Dj and the iPod, which I would get if I could cough up the money. I feel the Dell Dj is very much like the iPod, with a similar UI, but instead of a speed-sensitive touchwheel, its a speed-sensitive scroll, which isn't quite as easy to use, but comes very close. I'd like to grab an iPod mainly because of its size; the Dell Dj is quite large compared. The idea of a line-out seems nice, but I wouldn't carry around an amp anyways, as its not very portable at that point. The only thing I'd lose from switching is 6-7 hours of battery life, but 12 is plenty for me, though 8 and under wasn't, which is why I chose the Dell over the 3g iPod. (that, and it was over $80 cheaper) I agree with Sczervok over a dislike of uninformed buying, but I don't see why the iPod is bashed, because imo, it is an excellent player, which does what it's supposed to: play music.

Sep 12, 2004 at 5:34 AM Post #48 of 124
heh... I can't remember the last time I heard of the iPod being bashed.

The worst was when someone exaggerated how bad the iPod sounded, but that was all I ever ran over. Oh, and battery life... but other than that, there's not <i>that</i> much wrong with the iPod, which is why it is indeed a rather good player.

Sep 12, 2004 at 6:49 AM Post #49 of 124
If I've paid enough attention to life (I like to think that I have), I'm pretty sure the iPod didn't become so popular because Apple is good at marketing. I'm pretty sure it's the fact that they were (and are still I think) the only company to do any kind of advertising for their MP3 players. I have yet to see a Rio, iRiver, Creative, or other commercial on TV for an MP3 player. Apple could be putting on TV ads that cost them $5 and they'd still be a large leap ahead of the other companies.

And as for comparisons to other units, I think it's the combination of the good sound, iTunes integration, useability, and just generally polished, thought out feel of it that really gives it an edge.

Sep 12, 2004 at 1:28 PM Post #50 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
5 - AAC. I get the equivalent of 196kbps mp3 at 128 kbps. That makes the storage space much more effective.

Sorry, but that's just not true. In a multiformat 128kbps public listening test which was held a few months ago, LAME encoded MP3 was tied to iTunes AAC (at second place). Winners were Musepack and Ogg Vorbis (hint: iRiver supports this one
wink.gif
)

http://www.rjamorim.com/test/multifo...8/results.html

Sep 12, 2004 at 4:21 PM Post #51 of 124
I don't trust those results at all, on the basis of the results for ATRAC. ATRAC3 is not THAT bad (and ATRAC3 doesn't impress me that much either). I am not accusing any 'knobbling' but the results do not seem to have sufficient controls. What were the controls? It's not listed. Despite an engineering-styled presentation, it seems more of a popularity poll than a real test.

Also, the most important thing... the tests were not carried out on the respective portable platforms that support those codecs... and in my view, that's the real test that matters. The iRiver flubs some detail vs iPod, so even if the ogg codec is better it's not necessarily better than an equivalent bitrate AAC file on the iPod.

If I was being charitable, I'd say that test (which is quoted in all sorts of places) is dubious in it's objectivity. If I was being brutal, I'd say it's worthless in the real world.

Sep 12, 2004 at 4:33 PM Post #52 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
5 - AAC. I get the equivalent of 196kbps mp3 at 128 kbps. That makes the storage space much more effective.

As long as you believe that... independent testing at Hydrogenaudio have proved this statement to be clearly false...

As for bangraman... those are abx tests. I'm sorry to say that your "impression" holds even less value than those tests you are discounting. But then again, go with whatever suits you. I know what does what I need from a DAP and, currently, that's still not an iPod.
wink.gif

Sep 12, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #53 of 124
why the hell did i read this bull****? all of you sound like middle school kids arguing about whos bike is cooler. a lot of you also have no idea what your talking about, in almost every way.
redface.gif

Sep 12, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #54 of 124
This thread has taken a technical turn but here's my two cents

The reason ipod is so popular is because women like it. When women like and buy and use a tech product, less techically oriented men swarm to that product. Of course, it needs to be adequate, which the ipod is. But it does not need to be any more than that. Most of my friends bought ipods (I'd NEVER get one - but then "I'm not a trendy *******" like the man said) because "everyone else has one" and "it is cool".

Cool in tech products for non-techies is approval by women. WOMEN. They make the world go round, tech-wise or not.
Ever wonder why many guys who couldn't care less dish out twice the price of a Mac rather than a PC? Because when they have their dates visit them, she'll be impressed because he belongs to the artsy cool club of non-techie non-nerdy artistic Mac users.

I see no greater reason for such popularity for a product with so many shortcomings.

Sep 12, 2004 at 7:09 PM Post #55 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by recephasan
Ever wonder why many guys who couldn't care less dish out twice the price of a Mac rather than a PC? Because when they have their dates visit them, she'll be impressed because he belongs to the artsy cool club of non-techie non-nerdy artistic Mac users.

Yeah, so that means only 2 percent of the men out there are that vain (going by Apple's recent computer market share numbers). The rest of us PC users would not stoop so low as to buy a iMac just ot impress women
rolleyes.gif

Sep 12, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #56 of 124
Quote:

The reason ipod is so popular is because women like it. When women like and buy and use a tech product, less techically oriented men swarm to that product. Of course, it needs to be adequate, which the ipod is. But it does not need to be any more than that. Most of my friends bought ipods (I'd NEVER get one - but then "I'm not a trendy *******" like the man said) because "everyone else has one" and "it is cool".

Cool in tech products for non-techies is approval by women. WOMEN. They make the world go round, tech-wise or not.

I see no greater reason for such popularity for a product with so many shortcomings.

Well we can all rest assured that you are a REAL man.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 12, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #58 of 124
Quote:

Before you go any further I'd like to get my wading boots.

Sep 12, 2004 at 9:40 PM Post #60 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorman
As for bangraman... those are abx tests.

I might have come off a bit harsh, and I'm sure they're billed as abx tests. However there's no information on how the results were controlled. Not a sausage. Got a link?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back