whats the big deal with the iPod?
Sep 11, 2004 at 12:43 AM Post #16 of 124
different from other people, i dont like the ipod look. ipod really look ugly to me with the white, i think of the color of spoil milk when i see an ipod. looks like a toy to me, while other hd players look more professional.

and you cant scroll while its your pocket since you cant see what you're slecting.

Sep 11, 2004 at 1:42 AM Post #18 of 124
I've used the H340 (IMO?) and IMO it's IMO not IMO the answer IMO. (IMO's inserted lest the iRiver zealots jump on me again
evil_smiley.gif
).

I'm also hoping the Chroma is something special. Because after that, the only place I have to go is Archos, then back to the iPod. Not that I mind, but I just wanted something different... the problem is I buy all these other players and sell them for a huge loss 1-2 months later because compared to the iPod they're no match in the way you use them and the way in which you can cue stuff to listen to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Embio
battery life of 8 hours? are you kiddin me? thats nothing

drop the iPod..... wups no music

It's actually surprisingly robust, and the Mini is even more so. Drop the NH900 and you'll have an equal chance of a broken unit although your disc will be fine for the most part. Just as well as it takes just under an hour to transcode and transfer 1Gb's worth of mid-bitrate MP3's on a regular PC, the same time as it takes to re-fill a 20Gb player.

Apart from the tracks you buy, the iPod has no DRM to speak of. It has a file management system that discourages casual piracy and can be circumvented with a little effort... which was probably a necessary evil in a unit that was going to be 'legitimate' in the eyes of music retailers.

But really, I'm a little disappointed with the state of affairs. Surely someone out there must be able to take a little more inspiration from the iPod and come up with something that's similar or superior in use? I like having things which are a little different from others, but not at the expense of core features such as usability. I'm hoping that some of the Japanese companies, who have admittedly got into this game far too late, can eventually bring out something considerably more accomplished than the competitors around now.

Sep 11, 2004 at 1:54 AM Post #19 of 124
The best feature of the iPod is the UI (including iTunes + iTunes Music Store). I've played with a few other players, but the iPod is the only one that I picked up and intuitively figured out the controls.

The automatic library sync feature is also very nice to have.

If you use a Mac, there are a couple of other advantages:

1) Use the iPod as an emergency boot drive. Slow, but it works.
2) Use iSync to sync your calendar, addressbook, text notes, etc. A poor-man's PDA.

Sure, other players do some things better, but no other player does everything better. The iPod is the best "Total Package" player out there right now.

BTW, I have to disagree with the statement that the people in Apple's marketing group are a bunch of geniuses. Historically, Apple's had pretty pathetic marketing. If they were so good, they'd be selling a lot more Macs than they currently do.

Look at the big Pepsi partnership flop (yeah, Pepsi's the one that screwed it up, but it's the results that count).

Personally, I think the iPod sells in spite of Apple's marketing
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 11, 2004 at 2:45 AM Post #20 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nospam

If you use a Mac, there are a couple of other advantages:

1) Use the iPod as an emergency boot drive. Slow, but it works.
2) Use iSync to sync your calendar, addressbook, text notes, etc. A poor-man's PDA.

It can be done on a windows PC as well - it does not auto-sync, but you can use it as a poor-man's PDA. Its a great feature - and I have all my important contacts in the iPod. And the iPod can be used as a portable HDD, just like the iRiver and others - you just have to activate the HDD mode through iTunes once and you are set.

I evaluated all the big MP3 players out there and selected the iPod. The intuitive interface coupled with the iTunes software is an unbeatable combination, IMO.

Sep 11, 2004 at 3:35 AM Post #21 of 124
As much as I despise Apple's computers, I must admit that the iPod, in my <1 minute of usage, is impressive. I had never touched one and I felt like I knew how to browse through the music like a pro. Very inutitive interface, nice looking, and catchy marketing. Though you can throw a rabid Rio/iRiver fan into here and get an endless stream of features that the iPod doesn't have, but nobody's matched what makes the iPod so special.

Sep 11, 2004 at 3:38 AM Post #22 of 124
I don't think those Japanese manufacturers who entered the market too late can ever catch up. Just look at the Sony NW-HD1. (I am returning mine this week, btw.) They have no idea how the game is played in the arena, and it seems the polished products come from a long test of trial-and-error. The old players will remain dominant, it seems. It was nice to see that so many of us put our hopes in the Chroma/Karma2 (do we still think they are the same thing?) Hopefully it gets released soon.

Sep 11, 2004 at 3:53 AM Post #23 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
BS. the iPod is the smallest, easiest to use, best integrated (with a Mac, anyway), best looking, most neutral sounding full featured system on the market. i just CAN'T figure out why anyone would like it
rolleyes.gif

I agree Reks
wink.gif
but may be we should just let the newbies get to know one another...
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #24 of 124
The reasons that I bought an ipod mini:

1 - size. 4 gig of music on my waistband at the gym is wonderful. btw, I wear it hidden. Style means nothing to me, but years of wearing a pouch with a source and an amp had me believing that I was a kangaroo.

2 - Healthy amp. I have not checked the 50 mW output claim, but it drives my ER4S quite easily.

3 - Armor. A full wrap aluminum case is pure engineer bait. Mil spec hardcoat with rubber endcaps would be even better (yo Apple, HINT).

4 - User interface. The combination of scroll wheel and multi-line display makes navigation and selection of a CD incredibly quick. It takes me longer to decide on my mood than to navigate to the appropriate music.

5 - AAC. I get the equivalent of 196kbps mp3 at 128 kbps. That makes the storage space much more effective.

6 - It was April, and nothing else was even close for my needs. I will upgrade when the ipod micro comes out next year (I conjecture).

Please understand that I have no brand allegiance, especially to the company that spawned OSX (a poochscrew of Clintonesque proportions, imho, and I am a UNIX fan). I do think that Apple's best products are itunes and the ipod (also OS 9 and Claris CAD, but those fell by the wayside).

You asked, I answered
wink.gif

gerG

Sep 11, 2004 at 4:02 AM Post #25 of 124
I don't know about the Japanese companies not being able to make it. Even if the products aren't as good as the current offerings, I still believe they can sell. Why? Because of brand loyalty. I know many people who will buy Sony just because it's Sony. Some may even argue that Sony has a certain style or quality that doesn't exist in other companies. I mean how many image consceious people will want to purchase IRiver, Creative etc when they can own a Sony. Yeah it's pretty stupid but hey brand loyalty is very strong and it can make a crappy sounding product (not refering to anything) into a great sounding product. OH btw Sony's NW-E75 (256 MB) boasts 70 hours of playback on 1 AAA battery, thats gonna really get customers...

Sep 11, 2004 at 4:08 AM Post #26 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Embio
whats the big deal with the iPod? c'mon ppl i want reasons

It's obvious you've never used one, try it out and see for yourself what all the fuss is about.

Sep 11, 2004 at 11:46 AM Post #28 of 124
but does it sound better than an iriver? h140? by what you say..do other
players have an unclean inferior sound?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddball
Here are my reasons, but if you already dislike the iPod, I doubt I'll sway you.
1) Excellent GUI
2) Clean sound
3) Touchpad volume control allows for making small adjustments
4) Lots of third party accessories
5) It just looks cool
6) Relatively reliable
7) Small
8) The games allow for a bit of mindless entertainment
9) Nice line-out

Sep 11, 2004 at 12:28 PM Post #29 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject
It's obvious you've never used one, try it out and see for yourself what all the fuss is about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamelBackCinema
.... just the heading of the thread... what is your problem? Go try it out. If you already dislike it just from hearing about it or seeing the ad on t.v... i can only imagine that you're just trying to make a statement.

I have actually, listened to a G2, G3, and a G4, messed around with menus..... wasnt really impressed by sound or the menus. I dont wanna spend ages searching through menus, I just want to be able to quickly select music......with a remote..............*reaches for MD*

by the way, nice to see the OK Comp pic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back