What's the best USB audio cable for the money?
Apr 2, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #1,231 of 1,259
Very, very useful and not only audible, but visible too as it helps with monitor picture as well. I've tried about a dozen cables on my PC and settled with the bigass Pangea AC9SE Mk2. Not sure if i should be recommending it, as every system is different, but it worked really well for me.
thanks!

Apr 3, 2024 at 1:26 AM Post #1,232 of 1,259
I was actually wondering the other day if I should find a better power cable for my PC. But I am unsure of if thats smart or useful even.
Very, very useful and not only audible, but visible too as it helps with monitor picture as well. I've tried about a dozen cables on my PC and settled with the bigass Pangea AC9SE Mk2. Not sure if i should be recommending it, as every system is different, but it worked really well for me.
This is where we'll diverge.... as I'm not buying an expensive power cord connected to a PC power supply or monitor is going to create magic.

And for clarity, I'm a custom high end PC builder since 1998, with my last build in 2019 as posted > here. I'm also a photographer who edits my files from PC using both Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. I also print my own work from to PC to Printer, so I full well know the importance of color malmanagement, to include monitor calibration. I color calibrate my monitor using calibration software and hardware.

As anal as I am about my PC builds, and trust me, I am.... I'm not adding a high-end power cable to it - monitor, or PC's power supply as I see zero need there.

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:12 AM Post #1,233 of 1,259
Bro I have built dozens of PCs, and my current one is a monster with 13900k + rtx4090. I game in 4k @ 175 hz.
Im sure it will benefit from better power into my 1200w PSU.

Definitely not for individual monitors and all that- not doing all that.

Good power cords arent that expensive unless you wig out and spend unnecessarily.

All of my 3 currently were about a hundred bucks or less. I think throwing a Wireworld Stratus on there might be useful.
Since it's my source in my chain I don't want to leave it out of the fun.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #1,234 of 1,259
Bro I have built dozens of PCs, and my current one is a monster with 13900k + rtx4090. I game in 4k @ 175 hz.
Im sure it will benefit from better power into my 1200w PSU.
That's nice, Bro. But I stand firmly by my statement - waste of money buying expensive power cords to put on a PC.

And I've only been doing this since 1998 and plan on doing a new build later this year.

At any rate do you, and I'll do me. But my opinion still stands as explained.... waste.

Peace :sunglasses:

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #1,235 of 1,259
That's nice, Bro. But I stand firmly by my statement - waste of money buying expensive power cords to put on a PC.

And I've only been doing this since 1998 and plan on doing a new build later this year.

At any rate do you, and I'll do me. But my opinion still stands as explained.... waste.

All good.

We all have our lines in the sand as we should.

Apr 7, 2024 at 6:27 AM Post #1,236 of 1,259
Bought a pair of USB to Ethernet extenders to be paired with FMCs. Will see how will this play out:

Source -> (USB to RJ45 extender) -> FMC -> FMC -> (USB to RJ45 extender) -> DAC

If it plays well, I might go this route.

Apr 7, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #1,237 of 1,259
Why is not cable marketed as something that is like jewelry to equipment instead of having magical properties? Because if one is sold on magic they will pay more right?

Why when one opens up a high end speaker or high end gear we see the most generic cable being used inside?

Just like anything else in life critical thinking should be used. What I do know is the DAC inside the A6ME when sent to the Midgard has a different sound than when I use the DAC in the ef499, but this sound difference remains the same regardless of the usb cable I use to the ef499. This sound difference remains while using xlr from the ef499 to the Midgard. I settled on this until I receive the Nitsch Maximus.

So many people hide cables and treat them as a bad thing for some reason. Maybe it is because I have worked in telecom for decades in data centers and such that i see them differently. lol

Attachments

• IMG_0126.jpeg
    IMG_0126.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0125.jpeg
    IMG_0125.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Apr 7, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #1,238 of 1,259
This is where we'll diverge.... as I'm not buying an expensive power cord connected to a PC power supply or monitor is going to create magic.

And for clarity, I'm a custom high end PC builder since 1998, with my last build in 2019 as posted > here. I'm also a photographer who edits my files from PC using both Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. I also print my own work from to PC to Printer, so I full well know the importance of color malmanagement, to include monitor calibration. I color calibrate my monitor using calibration software and hardware.

As anal as I am about my PC builds, and trust me, I am.... I'm not adding a high-end power cable to it - monitor, or PC's power supply as I see zero need there.
I am doing calibration on my PC monitor as well with an i1 Display ProPlus w/ DisplayCAL and cabling unfortunately makes a visual difference, possibly measureable, on both on my monitor and TV. DP/HDMI cables, power cables and sockets/outlets, AC filters, ethernet cables, switches and their power supplies, hell even a PCI filter like the Elfidelity one, they all did make a difference for me and there are a lot of people reporting similar. I really wish it wasn't the case and i understand people who want to draw a line, as it is a costly and time-consuming headache to tune systems for both sound and picture. In short, enter this rabbithole at your own peril.

Apr 7, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #1,239 of 1,259
I am doing calibration on my PC monitor as well with an i1 Display ProPlus w/ DisplayCAL and cabling unfortunately makes a visual difference, possibly measureable, on both on my monitor and TV. DP/HDMI cables, power cables and sockets/outlets, AC filters, ethernet cables, switches and their power supplies, hell even a PCI filter like the Elfidelity one, they all did make a difference for me and there are a lot of people reporting similar. I really wish it wasn't the case and i understand people who want to draw a line, as it is a costly and time-consuming headache to tune systems for both sound and picture. In short, enter this rabbithole at your own peril.
Let me re-state what I said.... not buying expensive power cables to install on a PC, whether the power supply or the monitor.

And for clarity...I didn't say anything about a T.V, HDMI cables, or any other cable for that matter. Strictly desktop PC's and power cords. And THAT, is where I said see zero reason to buy and install a high-performance power cord. Please re-read my post.

At the end of the day, electrical component changes will have an effect on a system. It's just a matter of how noticeable it is and is it good or bad. I see very little gain where slapping a performance power cord on a power supply or monitors is worth that added expense.

Anyway, I'm keenly familiar with X-Rite's i1 Display software and the accompanying hardware puck aka colorimeter as I've used that system. My NEC monitor however has its own built-in LUT table, so it uses its own calibration software in SpecraView II while also supporting (allowing use of) X-Rite's i1 Display colorimeter. Tis no rookie here.

And again, I've been building PCs (high end) for over 25 years, last build in 2019, next built later this year. I'm also in a few tech forums where I post my builds. In all that time, none of us has ever mentioned or felt the need to buy a "premium power cord" for our systems. And most of us are performance freaks and serious gamers (me).

As an also hi-fi enthusiast, I do understand the merits of adding performance cables, PC power cords, nah. But as you say.... "enter this rabbithole at your own peril".

BTW, this is not to say adding audio performance cables from your PC's sound card, USB port, can't help, it does, and I did. Not power cords.

Apr 7, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #1,240 of 1,259
I've been running a 14awg custom Oyaide copper cable with P-079 & C-079 plugs for the past few days on my PC and I swear it made a difference audio wise and video wise.

Only cost me $60 on Ebay so you don't have to go crazy with it to see an improvement.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 7:42 AM Post #1,241 of 1,259
Removed the NeoTech NEUB-3020 from the headphone station several days ago and hooked it up in the nearfield system* where it seems to have settled in quite satisfactorily.

Detailed, resolving, 3-D and "live"- and quick-sounding with excellent separation, albeit still [quite] unforgiving of poor transfers.

(*) Nearfield: Kamrui AK1-Pro-->NEUB 3020-->Wadia 151 PowerDAC mini-->Triangle Borea BRO3

Apr 26, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #1,244 of 1,259
Why is not cable marketed as something that is like jewelry to equipment instead of having magical properties? Because if one is sold on magic they will pay more right?

Why when one opens up a high end speaker or high end gear we see the most generic cable being used inside?

Just like anything else in life critical thinking should be used. What I do know is the DAC inside the A6ME when sent to the Midgard has a different sound than when I use the DAC in the ef499, but this sound difference remains the same regardless of the usb cable I use to the ef499. This sound difference remains while using xlr from the ef499 to the Midgard. I settled on this until I receive the Nitsch Maximus.

So many people hide cables and treat them as a bad thing for some reason. Maybe it is because I have worked in telecom for decades in data centers and such that i see them differently. lol
I agree! I just buy a well built shielded cable. Can't hear any difference between $2K usb cable and $50. I use Blue Jean Cable or Audioquest Forest (even though I think AQ has a lot of snakeoil).

Apr 26, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #1,245 of 1,259
Anyone tried or using the Clarus Audio Crimson USB cable?
looks nice but damn thats pricey. Out of my range Im afraid. But I can say I've been very happy with my Excalibur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back