What's the best USB audio cable for the money?
Apr 1, 2024 at 12:37 AM Post #1,216 of 1,259
The silver power cable is a little brighter (upper end) with slightly more detail and spaciousness, but at the cost of some bottom end. It also depends on what it's matched to.

If I use the silver cable on my DAC, and the copper (normal) cable on my headphone amp, I get more bass, but if I switch those - copper cable on the DAC, and silver cable on headphone amp, I get better upper range and 3D like space, but at a loss of bass. I explained that > here.

At the end of the day, I went with the better low end so silver cable to DAC, copper cable to headphone amp. In my link there's a video by Lachlen (Passion for Sound), and he also notes what I note as well. At the end of the day, it's all about system components and matching.

Anyway, I'm awaiting another copper cable from this > seller (USA), whom, I got the above cables from to either replace the silver cable on the DAC and use the silver on my CD player, or simply use the copper cable on the CD player. I won't know until I get it and experiment.

Not really a fan of the silver cable as I find it a tad too bright for my liking, plus the loss of bottom doesn't help. On the plus side, I do love its detail and spaciousness.

This > my setup.
I have greatly enjoyed the few pure silver cables I've had but not a big fan of silver plated.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 1:24 AM Post #1,217 of 1,259
I have enjoy greatly the few pure silver cables I've had but not a big fan of silver plated.
Well, I've not had the pleasure (or expense) of/for pure silver cables. Both my S/PDIF coaxial cable, and XLR cables are silver / copper hybrids.

At any rate, you asked about the "Supra power cords" so that's where I'm coming having both silver and copper versions.

Apr 1, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #1,218 of 1,259
Well, I've not had the pleasure (or expense) of/for pure silver cables. Both my S/PDIF coaxial cable, and XLR cables are silver / copper hybrids.

At any rate, you asked about the "Supra power cords" so that's where I'm coming having both silver and copper versions.
Yeah, I have some hybrid, too, and that definitely sounds great. Imo hybrid with some full silver and some full copper is the best sounding I've heard and why I run that as my headphone cables- in a fat 17.3awg. It's really the quality of the metals I think, and thats harder to even discover for most cables (who sourced the metals).

I've had such great sound out of my Worlds' Best Cables Mogami 2549 w/ Neutrik connectors that I ended up not having Trevor at Norne make some interconnects for me that I intended to. These sound great so I'll save the money on that.

I think you have it right- silver on the DAC copper on the amp with power cables. I was going for silver on my DAC power cable but ended up getting Wireworld Stratus which have sounded nice. My Flux Mentor I just use the upgrade cable that they make in house from Neo-tech UP-OFC copper.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 2:22 AM Post #1,219 of 1,259
I tried the World's Best Cable Mogami 2549 with the Neutrik Gold XLR Plugs. Didn't like them as they sounded too warm and dark on my system, so I moved to the Word's Best Quad Balanced Canare L-4E6S Wire with Neutrik Silver XLR Plugs, and they sounded fine, loved the detail, but they seemed to lack umph in the bottom, so I then moved to a company called Better Cables, and am giving their Blue Truth Ultra Balanced XLR Cables a try. Thus far, they're the most balanced of both the World's Best cables. Great upper range with lots of detail and soundstage, while also tightening the bass.

I'm familiar with Better Cables having bought one of the coaxial cables last year, and also getting their Silver Serpent AIR Digital Coax Cable this year to go between my CD player and DAC.

These cables are silver/copper hybrids and seem (to me) to provide a nice balance between upper and lower without adding anything. This far, I'm happy with them. But the cost was a little steep for me as those 3 cables (a pair of XLR, and a single S/PDIF coax, all less than 2-feet) came in at $345. Far more than I intended to spend in this area; but.... at least they're giving me what I want in sound. However, they're very revealing so a bad recording will sound like crap, a good recording like heaven. But I suppose that's what you want from your cables.... honesty :relaxed:

BTW, I bought a Moon Audio Black Dragon cable (copper based) last year to tame the spiky highs my Sennheiser HD700 phones were pushing out, and they did a wonderful job there.

Apr 1, 2024 at 3:15 AM Post #1,220 of 1,259
I had the Canare first and preferred the Mogami, perfectly illustrating this hobby lol.

I actually forgot that i have a pair of pure silver interconnects on order from China that i got for like $75 , it's been like 2 and a half months and they are still "in route".

Apr 1, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #1,221 of 1,259
Getting back on track for USB cables, I was surprised at how much of a difference these Excalibur cables made in my system. Adding them made the background that much more darker vs my normal Belkin cable. Bass notes are deeper and more prominent. Soundstage a little better, and just overall better sound.

Of course, also having a DDC helps, but the DDC is also only as effective as the signal entering. So, yeah, I'll buy into the Supra Excalibur cable makes a difference hype :relaxed:

Apr 1, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #1,223 of 1,259
Can someone compare Viborg UC01 vs Supra Excalibur ?
BTW : What is this Xangsane SP-9003Ag ?
From Aliexpress:

Xangsane SP-9003Ag hifi four-core 6N single crystal pure silver audio signal cable XLR balance line over machine line.

Actually have this cable but haven’t gotten around to any serious listen.

Apr 1, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #1,225 of 1,259
Can someone compare Viborg UC01 vs Supra Excalibur ?
BTW : What is this Xangsane SP-9003Ag ?
i have both. The Viborg is a big step up from a Hosa or Startech. The Excalibur is better.

Apr 1, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #1,226 of 1,259
People need to be aware system synergy (matching) is equally important. If you're running a sub $1000 buck amp, is a $150-dollar USB cable really going to make all that big a difference from a 20-dollar cable? You also have to consider files. Sorry, but a bad file (mp3) is NOT going to be made better by a cable.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #1,227 of 1,259
People need to be aware system synergy (matching) is equally important. If you're running a sub $1000 buck amp, is a $150-dollar USB cable really going to make all that big a difference from a 20-dollar cable? You also have to consider files. Sorry, but a bad file (mp3) is NOT going to be made better by a cable.
of course, yes. Source matters. Im willing to spend up to around 10% of the component's cost on power cables and connects.

Apr 2, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #1,228 of 1,259
That's a nice little hoard you got there.

Whats the difference in those power cables?

As sygnus21 said, the SPC is cooler sounding, the basic one is warmer. I very much prefer the basic one and there is some exceptional synergy with 2 Teradak linear power supplies that i have. The SPC still runs circles around something like the Pangea AC14SE at this price point, so it's great value if someone prefers a cooler sound (i don't). Neither are the greatest options for "big" devices like power strips, big amps, PCs, subwoofers etc.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #1,229 of 1,259
As sygnus21 said, the SPC is cooler sounding, the basic one is warmer. I very much prefer the basic one and there is some exceptional synergy with 2 Teradak linear power supplies that i use. The SPC still runs circles around something like the Pangea AC14SE at this price point, so it's great value if someone prefers a cooler sound (i don't). Neither are the greatest options for "big" devices like power strips, big amps, PCs, subwoofers etc.
I was actually wondering the other day if I should find a better power cable for my PC. But I am unsure of if thats smart or useful even.

Apr 2, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #1,230 of 1,259
I was actually wondering the other day if I should find a better power cable for my PC. But I am unsure of if thats smart or useful even.
Very, very useful and not only audible, but visible too as it helps with monitor picture as well. I've tried about a dozen cables on my PC and settled with the bigass Pangea AC9SE Mk2. Not sure if i should be recommending it, as every system is different, but it worked really well for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back