what's so great about foobar?
Aug 31, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #31 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by binkgle
anyone?

Unfortunately, I'm not knowledgable enough about iTunes to make any comments. All I know is that I personally really don't like the interface or how it handles the music library.

Sound quality in a stock configuration on a Windows machine would be the same as any of the other players using stock directsound output.

Aug 31, 2005 at 4:54 AM Post #32 of 69
can the sb live with kx drivers handle kernel streaming/asio?

Aug 31, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #34 of 69
guys, i'm not getting any response from that guy on neowin, so...........

necropimp, does your setup still look like this?
http://necropimp.home.insightbb.com/foobar3.png

could you possibly zip it up and post it here (if you can't post it, i'll pm my email to you)?

thx

Aug 31, 2005 at 7:05 AM Post #35 of 69
Have any of you tried player(s) with native ASIO support.
Try for example Native Instruments Traktor DJ Studio (commercial, demo available) or a free player (with native ASIO support) made by Native Instrument - Traktor BeatPort, which sounds really good (I use it ATM), to hear the difference.

I've found these 2 NI's players sound noticeable better compared to players with asio plugin, like Foobar2k and WinAmp or Foobar2k with KS output.

jiitee

Aug 31, 2005 at 11:28 AM Post #36 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by jiiteepee
Have any of you tried player(s) with native ASIO support.
Try for example Native Instruments Traktor DJ Studio (commercial, demo available) or a free player (with native ASIO support) made by Native Instrument - Traktor BeatPort, which sounds really good (I use it ATM), to hear the difference.

I've found these 2 NI's players sound noticeable better compared to players with asio plugin, like Foobar2k and WinAmp or Foobar2k with KS output.

jiitee

interesting. trying it now, dont really care for the interface but it does sound somewhat different to my ears. for one thing, it (obviously) doesnt work with foobar's replaygain, so I will have to listen for a while to figure out if the change is for better or worse. so far i like it with my speakers, havnt had a chance to use it with my headphones yet. the program crashes with mpc files tho, maybe it doesnt support them?
redface.gif

does it come with some predefined eq settings by any chance? sounds quite different really.

edit : it got me curious and i looked at the player's homepage. nowhere it says anything about native ASIO support. how did you figure it had that feature? just curious
smily_headphones1.gif

hmm.. did some testing on my headphone rig and to my ears foobar sounds much lushier and musical, more detail treble. mids sound much better as well, but there is some bass bloat that beatport had less of. Maybe I should give some more time listening to it critically after school.

Aug 31, 2005 at 12:26 PM Post #37 of 69
if it sounds different than foobar w/ ASIO output, then it sounds fake.. foobar w/ ASIO is bit perfect and everything else is wrong or there's a placebo acting undercovered..

Aug 31, 2005 at 12:28 PM Post #38 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman
if it sounds different than foobar w/ ASIO output, then it sounds fake.. foobar w/ ASIO is bit perfect and everything else is wrong or there's a placebo acting undercovered..

yeah, thats what was crossing my mind as I was doing some quick comparison. perhaps it is partly due I am running 192hz PPHS on foobar. will have to revert back to 44hz to be fair i guess.

Aug 31, 2005 at 1:34 PM Post #40 of 69
interesting. trying it now, dont really care for the interface but it does sound somewhat different to my ears. for one thing, it (obviously) doesnt work with foobar's replaygain, so I will have to listen for a while to figure out if the change is for better or worse. so far i like it with my speakers, havnt had a chance to use it with my headphones yet. the program crashes with mpc files tho, maybe it doesnt support them?
redface.gif

does it come with some predefined eq settings by any chance? sounds quite
different really.
[/QUOTE
I've used/compared these players only using headphones (soundcard --> headphones). There are not many supported formats (MP3, WAV, AIFF, Audio-CD, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, non-DRM WMA and AAC ) on BeatPort or DJ Studio.

Quote:

edit : it got me curious and i looked at the player's homepage. nowhere it says anything about native ASIO support. how did you figure it had that feature? just curious
smily_headphones1.gif

Shortly 'bout NI,
[size=xx-small]"NATIVE INSTRUMENTS is the pioneer and technological market leader in the field of software synthesis, and one of the key players in the booming market for music and audio software. The company’s mission is to develop outstanding tools for musicians, producers, sound designers and DJs. The resulting products regularly push technological boundaries and open up new creative horizons for professionals and amateurs alike."
[/size]
I've been using their software synths and been demoing their products during years (incl. DJ Studio). Some times ago, I noticed they've developed BeatPort and just checked it out ... All their products excluding that free 'Traktor DJ Player' are ASIO compatible products.

Quote:

hmm.. did some testing on my headphone rig and to my ears foobar sounds much lushier and musical, more detail treble. mids sound much better as well, but there is some bass bloat that beatport had less of. Maybe I should give some more time listening to it critically after school.

I found NI's mostly better on bass (clear and really deep if needed) and it's overal rich sound. I've been comparing these players with some jazz pieces, where bass parts was played using contrabass --> big differences to me. Got same type results with old recordings from bands like Pink Floyd, ELO, Rainbow, etc. Foobar2k and Winamp (with ASIO or KS) just sounds too bright to my ears (like midrange and above it are somewhat emphasized). I even tried resampling on Foobar2k but it sounded like treble boosting mainly.

Of course, all these differences I can tell can be caused by my setup(s), my age (~50, younger ones have just 'better' and more sensitive hearing than older ones) and my hearing (been playing (el)guitar quite a long time).
All music I have, are been ripped to 16/44.1 wave files --> converted to 192kpbs mp3. I also made now some comparison with plain wave files (16/44.1) ripped from original CDs.

jiitee

Aug 31, 2005 at 1:48 PM Post #41 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman

This 'bit perfect' term, drawn in discuissions here, is not so 100% clear to me (maybe not to someone else here too) on it's functionality part. Would someone explain it a bit.
My assumption is, it means all bits what goes in comes out without modification.

Also, I've seen many using ASIO plugin on foobar with Asio4All drivers. Isn't the path then: Foobar --> ASIO plugin --> Asio4All --> WDM/KS --> sound card. Is this path comparable to say Traktor --> ASIO --> sound card?

Is there any 'easy way' to check/measure if there is some pre EQ settings programmed in any player?

jiitee

Aug 31, 2005 at 2:06 PM Post #42 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny12
i love F3 in foobar where i can search my music, also i like how it can be so customised

This is managed on Traktor on its main screen: an input dialog named "Quick search". (I think this is logical implementation method (eg. no popping screens or menu selections), because Tractor DJ Studio is made for DJ's for professional use). BeatPort just happen to have this feature implemented too.

Some likes customisation capabilities others don't.

jiitee

Aug 31, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #43 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by binkgle
guys, i'm not getting any response from that guy on neowin, so...........

necropimp, does your setup still look like this?
http://necropimp.home.insightbb.com/foobar3.png

could you possibly zip it up and post it here (if you can't post it, i'll pm my email to you)?

thx

I'll second this motion. I actually think it was posted in the old thread, but the link has since died.

Aug 31, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #45 of 69
Hehe, I PMed you for a reason
wink.gif

Since you didn't reply though, I thought maybe you were busy or something.

Anyway, I really like your config. It would be great if you could upload it, or give as us newbies all the pointers to get something like that
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back