What's an audiophile to you?
Feb 19, 2012 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9
Someone who cares about the recording quality as much as the recording content.
Someone who cares about the recording quality more than the recording content.
Someone who cares about the recording quality, but not necessarily as much as the recording content.

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 9
There are many differnt types of audiophile's but i think the main one's are the top choice. where every step of musical recording, to what it is, and how it's played should be considered. should we call those that only care about one but know a lot about everything..not an audiophile? no. they are just differet. but audiophile demographic usually looks at everything

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
There are many differnt types of audiophile's but i think the main one's are the top choice. where every step of musical recording, to what it is, and how it's played should be considered. should we call those that only care about one but know a lot about everything..not an audiophile? no. they are just differet. but audiophile demographic usually looks at everything

Nicely said. 
smile.gif

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #4 of 9
Recording quality should never come between an audiophile and the music he likes. So while it's important, it's not as important as the content. Choice #3.

And if it ever does come between you and the music you like, you need to rethink your priorities.

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #5 of 9
I always got the impression that audiophiles use music to listen to their equipment (to paraphrase Alan Parsons), not the other way around.

While I do care about being true to the source (let's put it this way: I'd build a DOS gaming PC with several specific models of sound cards and synthesizers to make sure that every game I run on it sounds exactly like the developer intended), and I do have a Stax Lambda system I'm rather fond of, I still don't consider myself an audiophile by a long shot.

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #6 of 9
Audiophile means good and bad things to me. 

I consider myself one, and the way I define it for me is that I care enough about music to also care a lot about how it sounds. Recording quality comes into it sometimes, but I really just want the music to sound as good as I can get it to sound (regardless of the recording). 

If the recording quality sucks, I try to fix what I can, but I don't stop listening. 

The bad things about 'Audiophile' don't really come from me, they come from the way most people take the term. 90% of people just think it's snobbery (and sometimes it is), but that's how they see  me when I use the term 'Audiophile' if they don't know me.

Feb 23, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #8 of 9
I don't value recording quality in comparison to recording content.  What makes me an audiophile is that I do care about quality, but if someone told me I should care about it more than or less than the content of what I'm listening to, that is a topic that I simply will not address.  It's separate from the way I love music.  But it is also related.  I can appreciate quality in the content of music, but the converse is every bit as true.  I've had memorable experiences listening to music that moved me though it wasn't presented cleanly, and I've also heard sound quality that moved me though I wouldn't have appreciated the music otherwise.  But even in that case, I was enamored with the music.

It's kind of disgusting to have to keep treading these circles of self-definition.  "You know you're an audiophile when..."  I unsubscribed to that thread.  It became like the joke that was funny until you had to explain to someone what made it so.

As audiophiles, we have the luxury of not having to ask ourselves whether we prefer the quality of the reproduction, or the material that is being reproduced.  As audiophiles we can kick back and enjoy it and know that we have it good.  This is what I love about the hobby.  When you can't taste the wine because you're busy analyzing it, you're drinking it for the wrong reasons.  But as discerning and informed hobbyists, we very fortunately don't have to choose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back