What should I buy next? SR-009?
Dec 11, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #31 of 274
Quote:

I'll add that extracting full performance from a speaker system takes work.  Be prepared if you're going that route.  It's not as straightforward as the SR-009s would be.  You would have to install acoustic panels, buy and install or build and install your own diffusers, place the speakers, re-place the speakers, and re-place the speakers again until you get the image properly dialed in.  If you enjoy the endeavor of better sound it's worth it, but you should be sure you do.  Getting quality performance from a speaker rig is cheaper too if you're willing to put in some stress, take some chances with your money, and buy off the used market.  You could really build a quality speaker rig and still have money left over for a flagship or near-flagship headphone for the price of one SR-009.  

X2 for sure.  You could spend a fortune on room treatments not to mention powering up everything with dedicated lines and all that entails as well.

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #33 of 274
The practicality and (nowadays) extreme goodness of a high end headphone system make me think that the high end audio companies who ignore the head-hi community or
consider it a small special-interest pastime have their heads in the sand.

I was looking for an ostrich GIF but couldn't find one.

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #34 of 274
Quote:
The practicality and (nowadays) extreme goodness of a high end headphone system make me think that the high end audio companies who ignore the head-hi community or
consider it a small special-interest pastime have their heads in the sand.

I was looking for an ostrich GIF but couldn't fine one.

You are correct.

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #35 of 274
This is exactly what I would have liked to write -and, in fact, what I was about to write. But you pipped me at the post! I would simply add that the best earphones system (headset + amp) is far cheaper than its loudspeakers + listening room equivalent (if it exists)

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #36 of 274
Quote:
This is exactly what I would have liked to write -and, in fact, what I was about to write. But you pipped me at the post! I would simply add that the best earphones system (headset + amp) is far cheaper than its loudspeakers + listening room equivalent (if it exists)

I wouldnt say far cheaper. Its a bold statement. I wouldn't get into the classic argument of headphone vs speaker thingy. But I personally have experienced sitting in a sweet spot of a treated room of home audio with horn speaker (forgot the brand) and burmester CDP and with Parasound mono block and it blew me away to kingdom come. No headphone system I've heard or own came even close to it. Yes, damn thing costs 6 times more (excluding cables/interconnect) than a 009/BHSE/good DAC (assume around 12k fr a proper setup) but I can confidently say that if I can afford it, I will jump on it without any hesitation. And in this world of audio, price/cost is very subjective

Practical is more appropriate wording if you ask me........or to be more precise its a combination of practicality and cost (again, subjectively)

EDIT : the brand of the horn speaker is Acapella

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #37 of 274
Thanks forbigger and everyone else for their replies. I know the speakers vs. headphones issue has been discussed a lot, but I do think I've settled on having both speakers and headphones. It will take years I imagine for me to move up to a speaker set up like what forbigger described (I'm only a few years out of college and just beginning my career), so I'll probably try to get a setup like the SR-009/BHSE first (which still might be a while from now), and then start investing in a high-end speaker set-up (because it will almost certainly cost more).

Jacks

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #38 of 274
Quote:

I totally agree.  I would think a $5K headphone system to be the equivalent of a speaker system in the many multiples.

BTW-Smyth Realiser baby!!!

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #39 of 274
[size=10pt][size=11pt]dear [/size][size=11pt][color=windowtext]jackskelly[/color][/size][size=11pt], and [/size][size=11pt]colleagues ,[/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=11pt]most has been said - A speaker, that will sound just close to a rig with a 009 and good amp will cost you MUCH more .[/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=11pt]BUT: Do check out the studio / professional monitor systems: they are cheaper for same sound quality; with their typical active systems, you can usually perform some room tuning  -  [/size][size=11pt]however: most of them look just plain horrible !![/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=11pt](in my case I have active LINN speakers, that look reasonable, have limited sound tuning, but cost x-times more then my 009 & "mediocre" 007T-2 amp)[/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=11pt]I just LOVE my 009 - its the best [size=small]piece [/size]of music reproduction I own !![/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=11pt]regard [/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=11pt]Urs[/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=11pt](see also my thread; I can resist anything, but temptation)[/size][/size]

Dec 20, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #40 of 274
Quote:
[size=10pt][size=11pt]dear [/size][size=11pt][color=windowtext]jackskelly[/color][/size][size=11pt], and [/size][size=11pt]colleagues ,[/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=11pt]most has been said - A speaker, that will sound just close to a rig with a 009 and good amp will cost you MUCH more .[/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=11pt]BUT: Do check out the studio / professional monitor systems: they are cheaper for same sound quality; with their typical active systems, you can usually perform some room tuning  -  [/size][size=11pt]however: most of them look just plain horrible !![/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=11pt](in my case I have active LINN speakers, that look reasonable, have limited sound tuning, but cost x-times more then my 009 & "mediocre" 007T-2 amp)[/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=11pt]I just LOVE my 009 - its the best [size=small]piece [/size]of music reproduction I own !![/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=11pt]regard [/size][/size]
[size=10pt][size=11pt]Urs[/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=11pt](see also my thread; I can resist anything, but temptation)[/size][/size]

Hey, you have the 009 with the 007t/ii amp like me? I love this combo (and have recommended it often around here) but it doesn't seem to get any respect on head-fi.

Dec 22, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #41 of 274
[size=10pt]rgs9200,[/size]

[size=10pt]Yes I know, sadly the STAX stock amps have not a very high reputation around here.[/size]
[size=10pt]Frankly, I have nothing to compare to at the moment[/size]
[size=10pt]For me, to buy some 5000 Dollars unit "blindly" from the USA is a "No-Go".[/size]

[size=10pt]My only possible option is RUDISTORE (who sits in Italy) , who reportedly has renewed his Electrostatic amp program again.[/size]

[size=10pt]Urs[/size]

[size=10pt]BTW: The LINN active speaker mentioned above  are NOT a  studio variety, but a HIFI type (Artikulate now Komri)[/size]

Dec 22, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #42 of 274
It out does speakers I've heard at many time their cost, but speakers do some things much better. I'll have both soon but I can't really see the 009 going anywhere unless they just start getting ignored completely.

Quote:
I totally agree.  I would think a $5K headphone system to be the equivalent of a speaker system in the many multiples.

Coming to Austin next Spring? Link in the sig. I mean, why not have 3 LL + 009 combos.

Hopefully Justin will be coming with some gems, too.

Quote:
We live in the same town, and I have a Stax SR-009/LL setup. If you want to do a listening session at my place to see if you like how the SR-009 sounds then send me a message and we'll try to make that happen.

Dec 26, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #43 of 274
There are some great speakers at 10k+. Totem Acoustic Elements and Vandersteen Quattros are around 12k. The best speakers I've heard are YG Acoustics, but they're $99,000. I also like the Wharfedale Diamond 10.7s, which are only around $1,000.

I'm sure you can get state of the art headphones for much less.

My two cents is that great speakers will be more useful than world-class headphones. Speakers will also sound more realistic, IMO, as most (non-binaural) music is recorder with speakers in mind.

Dec 26, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #44 of 274
Nightspore68,

I know I could buy an excellent speaker system for around 10K, but seeing as I might be moving into an apartment sometime soon, I think that 10K would be much better invested in a Stax set-up rather than a floorstanding speaker set-up (for now). I still plan on getting a reference speaker setup eventually (my dream at least).

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #45 of 274
The key to speakers in an apartment is room treatment and finding speakers that don't 'require' a sub. That's why I have my heart set on Harbeths. Extension was fantastic. Who needs a sub anyway?

EDIT: Another Texan! Hope you're planning to hit up the big Austin meet. If you want a taste of where that 10k would take you on headphones I'd make a point of being there. 

BHSE and LL with 009s will be present. :D

Quote:
Nightspore68,

I know I could buy an excellent speaker system for around 10K, but seeing as I might be moving into an apartment sometime soon, I think that 10K would be much better invested in a Stax set-up rather than a floorstanding speaker set-up (for now). I still plan on getting a reference speaker setup eventually (my dream at least).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back