What should I buy next? SR-009?
Dec 9, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #16 of 274
I have 30 years experience in high end audio.  I go to several shows per year including international.  Speakers are a huge interest of mine so I seek out and listen to every raved speaker, and walk the halls checking out every potentially great speaker that I hear any promise from.  I've picked my favorites to own.  Yet my first foray into headphones (Stax) has shown me that all speakers I have heard are more flawed than the headphones.  That is a strong statement, but it is not born of bias when you consider that I own hudreds of thousands of dollars worth of speakers and yet still make the preceeding statements.  

So, it comes down to, for me, more the pleasure factor of listening to headphones versus that of listening to speakers.  For some reason it was very easy for me to adapt and I seem to get as much pleasure from the headphones, but I hear more information in a more coherent manner.  Many questions about the scoring, particular instrumental sounds, the lowest level details that I struggled with before have been answered with the headphones.

For sonic quality, low distortion, the ultimate detail, in my opinion the headphones are far more sound per dollar than speakers. 

Nobody can argue about personal preference, so if you are more comfortable listening to speakers, if the sound of an energized room is more "real" to you, if you love sharing with friends, if the "feeling" of bass over your whole body is a huge advantage, so be it: you may get more pleasure out of a speaker.  But on a pure distortion, ultimate detail, seamless coherency basis I don't think a speaker is made that can equal the best headphones - except for the factors that can only be given by a set of speakers, that of being surrounded by sound, feeling the sound especially the bass, and "looking" at the soundstage in front of you in the room. 

A strange thing is that my headphones cause me to enjoy my speakers more than I did before.  It seems that having a transducer that delivers such extreme detail and coherency makes me accept the limitations of speakers, while also appreciating their visceral aspects that headphones cannot delivery.  

For me, an "either/or" decision or piece of advice would be very difficult.  I think "both" is  the best situation: a great set of headpones and a great pair of speakers.  
. Excellent post. Thank you.

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #17 of 274
Quote:
I have 30 years experience in high end audio.  When I first wrote this I should have made it clearer that the 30 years is as a member of the industry.   I go to several shows per year including international.  Speakers are a huge interest of mine so I seek out and listen to every raved speaker, and walk the halls checking out every potentially great speaker that I hear any promise from.  I've picked my favorites to own.  Yet my first foray into headphones (Stax) has shown me that all speakers I have heard are more flawed than the headphones.  That is a strong statement, but it is not born of bias when you consider that I own hudreds of thousands of dollars worth of speakers and yet still make the preceeding statements.  

So, it comes down to, for me, more the pleasure factor of listening to headphones versus that of listening to speakers.  For some reason it was very easy for me to adapt and I seem to get as much pleasure from the headphones, but I hear more information in a more coherent manner.  Many questions about the scoring, particular instrumental sounds, the lowest level details that I struggled with before have been answered with the headphones.

For sonic quality, low distortion, the ultimate detail, in my opinion the headphones are far more sound per dollar than speakers. 

Nobody can argue about personal preference, so if you are more comfortable listening to speakers, if the sound of an energized room is more "real" to you, if you love sharing with friends, if the "feeling" of bass over your whole body is a huge advantage, so be it: you may get more pleasure out of a speaker.  But on a pure distortion, ultimate detail, seamless coherency basis I don't think a speaker is made that can equal the best headphones - except for the factors that can only be given by a set of speakers, that of being surrounded by sound, feeling the sound especially the bass, and "looking" at the soundstage in front of you in the room. 

A strange thing is that my headphones cause me to enjoy my speakers more than I did before.  It seems that having a transducer that delivers such extreme detail and coherency makes me accept the limitations of speakers, while also appreciating their visceral aspects that headphones cannot deliver.  

For me, an "either/or" decision or piece of advice would be very difficult.  I think "both" is  the best situation: a great set of headpones and a great pair of speakers.  

Thank you very much Operakid for the excellent post. I really do enjoy having access to both, the headphone experience is different than the speaker experience. Having experienced both, I don't think I could ever truly go with one and not have access to the other, so I agree that having both would be the best solution for me. I think the best thing now would be to go to different shows, conventions and meet-ups to compare different high-end speaker and headphone set-ups, which will probably be long, but ultimately very fun and rewarding, process.

Dec 9, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #19 of 274
Thank you very much Operakid for the excellent post. I really do enjoy having access to both, the headphone experience is different than the speaker experience. Having experienced both, I don't think I could ever truly go with one and not have access to the other, so I agree that having both would be the best solution for me. I think the best thing now would be to go to different shows, conventions and meet-ups to compare different high-end speaker and headphone set-ups, which will probably be long, but ultimately very fun and rewarding, process.

We live in the same town, and I have a Stax SR-009/LL setup. If you want to do a listening session at my place to see if you like how the SR-009 sounds then send me a message and we'll try to make that happen.

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #20 of 274
Living in an apartment with huge floor standing speakers and dual (Epik) empire subwoofers.  Is very hard the listen to my music the way I really want to.  It's bad enogh when playing a movie and the bass rumble really kicks in on action movies.  Headphones sovled this for me for both music and movies.

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #21 of 274
Quote:
Living in an apartment with huge floor standing speakers and dual (Epik) empire subwoofers.  Is very hard the listen to my music the way I really want to.  It's bad enogh when playing a movie and the bass rumble really kicks in on action movies.  Headphones sovled this for me for both music and movies.

I see you have an incoming GS-X v 2.  I've only the picture Justin posted of the inside he was working on.  Any more details you could tell us about?

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #23 of 274
Its all in the GS-X/1 thread but...  The new features of the GS-X v2 are:

60% voltage increase
100% class A bias increase
66% larger transformers
Pre-Defeat switch
4pin XLR
1 more RCA input
Option for Alpha pot
BHSE type faceplates

Long story short, quality of life improvements and B22 power levels.

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #24 of 274
^^^^^That^^^^^
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #25 of 274
Tranny upgrade is going to make a big improvement. WHEN SOMEONE FINALLY GETS ONE!!!!

I feel for you guys and admire your patience. Reminds me of waiting for a Xin portable. The drawback of specialty hobby services, time management and priorities of the builder. But seeing that improvement will make the investment worthy. This should help feed the HEs (likely cause of delays) and give a more effortless presentation all around.

Looking forward to hearing this.

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #26 of 274
Quote:
Its all in the GS-X/1 thread but...  The new features of the GS-X v2 are:

60% voltage increase
100% class A bias increase
66% larger transformers
Pre-Defeat switch
4pin XLR
1 more RCA input
Option for Alpha pot
BHSE type faceplates

Long story short, quality of life improvements and B22 power levels.

Thanks for the short cut.  I was reading through the thread to try and pick all this up.

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #27 of 274
I'd love to see a picture of the finished product................Justin..?

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #28 of 274
Quote:
Hi everyone,

This is the first new thread I've authored myself. I just wanted to know your opinions concerning the STAX SR-009 compared to the a speaker system of around $10,000+ and other great set-ups. I've owned the LCD-2, and I now own the HD800 and T1, along with a very good Polk 2-channel floorstanding speaker set up (I know it's Polk, but I think it sounds great, I actually prefer it to the LCD-2, HD800, T1 for just pure listening pleasure). I think the HD800 and T1 sound great, but now I'm at the point that if I want to go to the next step for headphones, I might as well go with STAX, namely the SR-009, I'm not going to buy a used Orpheus system, that's even more expensive, the SR-009 is my upper limit. Is it really worth it to invest in a great system with an SR-009, or spend the same amount with a pair of great floorstanding speakers? Like Paradigm, B&W, etc. I just wanted to know any thoughts about this matter.

Thanks,

Jacks

I'll add that extracting full performance from a speaker system takes work.  Be prepared if you're going that route.  It's not as straightforward as the SR-009s would be.  You would have to install acoustic panels, buy and install or build and install your own diffusers, place the speakers, re-place the speakers, and re-place the speakers again until you get the image properly dialed in.  If you enjoy the endeavor of better sound it's worth it, but you should be sure you do.  Getting quality performance from a speaker rig is cheaper too if you're willing to put in some stress, take some chances with your money, and buy off the used market.  You could really build a quality speaker rig and still have money left over for a flagship or near-flagship headphone for the price of one SR-009.  

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #30 of 274
Quote:
With Wife+Kids I don't have any time for a speaker system.  Someone is studying/working/sleeping so my chance at dedicated listening with speakers ended up being almost non-existent.  After dialing in here and reading more at 6Moons(where he was saying a few years back how a great phone system would take on the best speaker systems at mega multiples of price.  I would vote phones now totally where a few years ago the opposite.  I am really happy with my LCD2+Liquid Fire+W4S DAC2 rig.  I would like to go with LCD3's soon and maybe next year a Smyth Realiser(that should take care of any speaker jonesing I'm harboring.  Given more $$ I would definitely be putting the 009 and a great amp like the LL or BHSE on my list.

So I've taken the long way around here but I would definitely go with the headphone system and skip the speakers.

That's my issue too. I was all set to go with a new amp and a pair of Totem Forrest speakers and then talked it over with my wife and in reality I'd rarely get to listen to them. We start to get the kids (8 and 4 years old) ready for bed around 8pm. So I picked up a SR-009 rig instead and I'm using it right now (9:15pm on a Monday night...something I never get to do with speakers). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back