What is the best single DD IEM available today?
Feb 1, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #46 of 87
Wow. It struck me as overpriced. Is there some sort of new tech going on?
I don’t really get into the pricing anymore. There’s no rhyme or reason to it. For example, the Faudio Spring is $630 and i enjoyed FAR more than the Singularity. I also really enjoyed Isabellea too. I really liked the a8000 as well but the e12 has resolution for days comparison and the Tactile Bass tech is truly unbelievable sounding. They really sound like floor standing speakers In terms of bass. Fit is a key and the right tips. But if you get a ton of your ear touching the shell to me its WAYYYY more impressive that bone conductions. At least the bone conduction sets I’ve heard from UM. Fir calls it an electrodynamic DD.

it’s one of the best iems I’ve heard.

Feb 1, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #47 of 87
I don’t really get into the pricing anymore. There’s no rhyme or reason to it. For example, the Faudio Spring is $630 and i enjoyed FAR more than the Singularity. I also really enjoyed Isabellea too. I really liked the a8000 as well but the e12 has resolution for days comparison and the Tactile Bass tech is truly unbelievable sounding. They really sound like floor standing speakers In terms of bass. Fit is a key and the right tips. But if you get a ton of your ear touching the shell to me its WAYYYY more impressive that bone conductions. At least the bone conduction sets I’ve heard from UM. Fir calls it an electrodynamic DD.

it’s one of the best iems I’ve heard.
Ah well. Here we are. They look great too.

Feb 1, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #50 of 87
Timsok TS-316, Softears Twilight, and FAudio Dark Sky are my 3 favorites. I spend the majority of my listening sessions with one of these. It’s hard to pick a “best,” but I guess I gravitate more towards the Timsoks.

I’m curious about the E12’s though!

I’ve not heard them myself but the Hifiman Svanars are probably worth a mention also.

Feb 1, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #51 of 87
Timsok TS-316, Softears Twilight, and FAudio Dark Sky are my 3 favorites. I spend the majority of my listening sessions with one of these. It’s hard to pick a “best,” but I guess I gravitate more towards the Timsoks.

I’m curious about the E12’s though!

I’ve not heard them myself but the Hifiman Svanars are probably worth a mention also.

I have little to compare it to, but I have to throw in a vote for the TS-316 probably being up there on the list. I don't know if there's a ton that compares with it for the price. In my opinion, it's particularly excellent for acoustics and jazz.

Feb 1, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #54 of 87
Dita Perpetua with Celeste cable:wink:

Attachments

• dita.jpg
    dita.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 0
  • dita1.jpg
    dita1.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 0
Feb 2, 2024 at 12:21 AM Post #55 of 87
Is it even possible for a single DD, with the materials available today, to do justice to upper treble... like, at all? Like, you've got a million dollars to spend, could you do upper treble properly? I go back a long way in stereo speakers, and there's never in history been a single driver speaker that presents sound as realistically as multidriver (or planar) designs. I would assume that is also the case with IEMs.
Thats a good point.

Well... treble yes, upper treble... might be a real concern... 🤔

By the way, we can consider "upper treble" to be the registers upon 10khz and more... so, musically wise, its not so important.

Solution ? Tuning trickery...

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #56 of 87
Thats a good point.

Well... treble yes, upper treble... might be a real concern... 🤔

By the way, we can consider "upper treble" to be the registers upon 10khz and more... so, musically wise, its not so important.

Solution ? Tuning trickery...
Stuff above 10k is actually really, really important for psychoacoustic clues as to venue, sound stage, etc. It's not the primary note that lives there, it is the 2nd, 3rd and above harmonics that the brain uses to identify location and distance. Also, a sense of "realness" depends on those harmonics being present and correct, even on something as simple as the pick gliding over steel string guitar strings.

Feb 3, 2024 at 12:04 AM Post #57 of 87
Stuff above 10k is actually really, really important for psychoacoustic clues as to venue, sound stage, etc. It's not the primary note that lives there, it is the 2nd, 3rd and above harmonics that the brain uses to identify location and distance. Also, a sense of "realness" depends on those harmonics being present and correct, even on something as simple as the pick gliding over steel string guitar strings.
Agreed,

Really, it's tricky...

Feb 3, 2024 at 2:45 AM Post #58 of 87
I do not agree at all.
Between a Fiio FH9 which is truly extraordinary and a FiiO FD7 which is also excellent: the FD7 is also excellent (but different) in treble, harmonics among other qualities!

Feb 3, 2024 at 2:53 AM Post #59 of 87
I do not agree at all.
Between a Fiio FH9 which is truly extraordinary and a FiiO FD7 which is also excellent: the FD7 is also excellent (but different) in treble, harmonics among other qualities!
Ok but a single DD have inherent physical limitations.

There is no magic, just physics. Matter of fact, not personal tastes. 😉

And psychoacoustics play a great role here (target curve tailored).

But... I do like a lot (A LOT 🥰) the single DD designs I know 😎👌

And no design is perfect. I say none. 🥺

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back