What is the best method to get digital audio from your PC to your DAC
Jul 9, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #61 of 104
It's not about the signal being "clean", but about it being musical. There is room for huge scepticism about the tweaks that we are talking about here, but I have found that it is not about theory but about practice. The issue is what works. What matters is not how many clocks there are in a signal route, but what difference adding to the route makes. Sometimes it detracts from the quality of the sound that you are looking for. And the latter is dependent on what the rest of your system sounds like.

My own answers have been found by comparing the digitally-driven sound of a track in high resolution format with the same track on vinyl, comparing the various versions of the digital with the vinyl (the turntable being a pretty good one, with a good phono stage and leads). The digital combination that sounds most pleasing as compared with the vinyl is the one I go for. It may sound better (but not often unless I am using a DSD file: extracted from an SACD to a .dsf file), or it may not sound as good, but the key is what sounds best as compared with the vinyl. In that way, I have a constant reference and can be fairly sure that my ears are not playing tricks on me.

So, in answer to question 1: The X-SPDIF 2 is a digital to digital converter. It converts USB digital signals into co-axial and I2S digital signals. It is not like a W4S Recovery, which does something to the USB signal and outputs a further USB signal, but this time (in my experience) with a more relaxed and smooth sound.

As for question 2, I am not able to say what clock overrides any other: I just do not have the technical expertise to say. But as I indicate above, it is not about clocks, their number, and which one sort of wins. The issue for me is simply what works best in terms of giving me a sound that is as natural and musical as possible.

As for question 3, I have a Shunyata Venon internet cable and in the place where I use it, it is perfect. It's all about system synergy. I have found the Tellurium Q Black USB lead to be of good quality, i.e. sort of neutral and realistic, and I have also found the Nordost Blue Heaven to be the same but with a bit more bite. I have not tried any Tara Labs or Triode cables. If I were you, I would put in the Matrix Element H, use your existing Shunyata USB cable to go to the X-SPDIF 2, and then use a coaxial cable (RCA or AES/EBU) or, if you have an input for it, an HDMI cable carrying the I2S signal to your DAC. And then see how it all sounds. The Matrix units will clean up the sound tremendously, and the Shunyata cable between them will probably sound pretty good. You therefore may not need (or, perhaps I should say, want) to buy another cable.
Thanks for your advice! Indeed there is a lot of skeptism about how cables and whether adding components will alter the sound. I believe in "less is more", but that should be balanced with the addition / alteration of components that do make a difference.

I had the experience of hearing no difference between a silver and a copper cable even when looking at the gleamy silver when listening to the silver cable. But I had also noticed the sound of cable B when I thought I was using cable A (and found my ears correct when I checked behind the DAC). There are more anecdotes, but in essence, not all audible differences are psychoacoustic illusions. Otherwise I would find the silver cable sharper, and I would have heard the sound of cable A when B was actually plugged in.

I'll be taking my computer for a motherboard upgrade and I'm lookng forward to adding the Matrix to my audio chain.

Thanks again for your advice!

Jul 11, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #62 of 104
Are there any differences in USB output between laptops? That is, are there any "high quality audio" laptops out there that would make a good dedicated listening setup? I mostly have FLACs playing off my desktop into a DAC/headphones through USB, but want to make a more portable system. And also, any differences between USB 2.0 and 3.0?

Sorry for the basic questions, but I'm just getting started. Thanks.

Jul 11, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #63 of 104
I am not aware that any one laptop is better than another as an audio transport. I do not believe that there are any differences between USB 2 and USB 3 for this purpose. I have found that a good, dedicated (i.e. audio-only) computer as a means of storing on an SSD and playing (with the operating system on another SSD) music files is the best way of using a computer as an audio transport. So, there are probably differences between laptops, but if you dedicated whatever you got to audio only and put on Audiophile Optimizer, then that would probably work as well as most others.

Jul 11, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #64 of 104
Thanks for the quick reply. I had to look up Audiophile Optimizer. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Nov 30, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #66 of 104
If you stick with USB, and are doing it with a desktop/tower pc, look into one of these PCI cards.

I'm using it to feed my DAC, and power it with a dedicated linear power supply.

Elfidelity AXF-100 ULTRA III USB isolator audio filter for PC

Dec 10, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #67 of 104
If you stick with USB, and are doing it with a desktop/tower pc, look into one of these PCI cards.

I'm using it to feed my DAC, and power it with a dedicated linear power supply.

Elfidelity AXF-100 ULTRA III USB isolator audio filter for PC
100% agree. The Elfidelity is an Incredible bargain. My PC system is equal to my PI2AES. Where Linux has always fallen short versus Windows is in the music player software offerings. The sound comes first, but I also want a good UI.

Jan 8, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #68 of 104
Depends on your DAC's implementation. Since the USB is the most common option, DAC usually has the best jitter performance with its USB input. Plus, the delay in the USB is much smaller than other more ideal options like the internet connection.

Jan 9, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #69 of 104
Jan 11, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #70 of 104
USB is not a good protocol for digital audio. It’s like polishing a turd. You can probably get it to shine if you throw crap loads of money at it.

Jan 11, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #71 of 104
Can AES67 transport audio stream directly into DAC or do I need an external clock for it ?

The most logical route to me seems to add DDC in chain, but unfortunately with SQ improvement came consistent freezes of my macbooks OS which made me sell DDC.

It was USB -> denafrips ddc-> optical to qutest dac. I’m still a bit torn to find the best and possibly cheaper route to transport audio from my laptop

Jan 11, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #73 of 104
USB is not a good protocol for digital audio. It’s like polishing a turd. You can probably get it to shine if you throw crap loads of money at it.
It used to be the case until invention of Async USB receivers that most DACs are equipped with these days. Isochronous protocol was a nightmare.

Jan 11, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #74 of 104
Isochronous protocol was a nightmare.
Really?
UAC1 and UAC2 use USB in isochronous mode. That is simply the standard.
When they started with USB audio around 2000 they used the frame rate for synchronization. A pretty jittery solution.
Later (2005?) adaptive mode implementations become popular.
From 2009 on, async become popular.

Today almost all USB audio is USB Audio Class 2 so the bus will be run in isochrone mode with asynchrone synchronization.
If you look at measurements you will see that USB in general outperforms the classic protocols like SPDIF in the jitter departement.

Jan 11, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #75 of 104
That is not correct, it simply depends on implementation. Unison USB is superior to S/PDIF according to Schiit, and borne out by my experience with a Modius.

Either USB or S/PDIF can be better in a particular DAC, but that's because not everyone does USB correctly. SPDIF is technologically compromised due to the embedded clock signal.
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...rters-shootout/?do=findComment&comment=489519
(Barrows works with Sonore)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back