What does science think I should buy in the head fi market?
Feb 28, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #348 of 444
  If you want to know the trend of where home audio is going, look at people who aren't audiophiles. They are going for mobile devices and streaming in a big way. For movies, it's all home theater and Netflix.

HD audio is niche. SACD was niche once. Now it is dead. Streaming is mainstream. Efficient, transparent lossy is the future of everything. I know you don't like it, but it's true.

It is the future, and it's great. Netflix is going to support Adobe Atmos, Google Music All Access was a revelation for me. Up until that, all the services I tried for streaming were "meh" at best for quality. The 320k MP3 streams from All Access are great, the selection is huge, and Google lets you upload whatever you want (upped to 50k songs now). So if they don't have it in the streaming library, or if you really like it and want a different master, go ahead and upload it yourself. That said, a lot of stuff is available in multiple masters right on All Access. I don't have to spend money on buying albums or cable TV any more. That really frees up a lot of income. 

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #349 of 444
  If you want to know the trend of where home audio is going, look at people who aren't audiophiles. They are going for mobile devices and streaming in a big way. For movies, it's all home theater and Netflix.

HD audio is niche. SACD was niche once. Now it is dead. Streaming is mainstream. Efficient, transparent lossy is the future of everything. I know you don't like it, but it's true.

I am fine with streaming.  I often preview albums on youtube before purchasing to see what I like.  The quality is a lot better than it used to be even in the last few years.  It's certainly better quality audio than MTV was back in the day.

But if I really like something I buy it.  My reasons have not as much to do with audio quality - it is playlists, and the ability to play it on the go (plane, on a hike, we have fairly iffy 4G where I live it can be 10M one minute and 1 bar 3G on the next corner).  I know for about $10 a month I can get CD quality streaming, but I won't own my own playlists and once I put effort into them I don't want to ever lose them (streaming services go bankrupt faster than zombie horse creation around here).

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #350 of 444

It is the future, and it's great. Netflix is going to support Adobe Atmos, Google Music All Access was a revelation for me. Up until that, all the services I tried for streaming were "meh" at best for quality. The 320k MP3 streams from All Access are great, the selection is huge, and Google lets you upload whatever you want (upped to 50k songs now). So if they don't have it in the streaming library, or if you really like it and want a different master, go ahead and upload it yourself. That said, a lot of stuff is available in multiple masters right on All Access. I don't have to spend money on buying albums or cable TV any more. That really frees up a lot of income. 

I already subscribe to Netlfix.  I've been intentionally waiting a little for the Google-Spotify-Netflix competition to heat up before dipping into streaming.  I actually use last.fm from time to time to find new music, sometimes that can really be awesome.  I have a friend who is expert in streaming so I just check with him.  He subscribed at one time to pretty much every streaming service there ever was.

So I agree the future is here.

But ... the question:  Do you own your own playlist on Google All Access? 

Feb 28, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #351 of 444

Streaming is mainstream. And the future. I just dont understand why do you think that it has to be lossy !? Streaming e.g. 24/96 is pretty much nothing compared to streaming HD video.
Anyway, I'm fine with 320k. Just not fine with the spying that all streaming companies do nowadays. I'll sign instantly with any provider that does not to save any stats about my listening.

Feb 28, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #352 of 444
Streaming is mainstream. And the future. I just dont understand why do you think that it has to be lossy !? Streaming e.g. 24/96 is pretty much nothing compared to streaming HD video.
Anyway, I'm fine with 320k. Just not fine with the spying that all streaming companies do nowadays. I'll sign instantly with any provider that does not to save any stats about my listening.

He's basically saying that 256 kbps AAC sounds the same as lossless, so streaming in anything higher than that would just be a waste of resources.

Feb 28, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #353 of 444

I guess they have to know something so they can pay the artist/label..
Besides it doesn't bother me at all, though I think the way information is collected in relation to marketing and ads is too much.

Feb 28, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #354 of 444

I already subscribe to Netlfix.  I've been intentionally waiting a little for the Google-Spotify-Netflix competition to heat up before dipping into streaming.  I actually use last.fm from time to time to find new music, sometimes that can really be awesome.  I have a friend who is expert in streaming so I just check with him.  He subscribed at one time to pretty much every streaming service there ever was.

So I agree the future is here.

But ... the question:  Do you own your own playlist on Google All Access? 

You do not. I uploaded my existing library to All Access, so I own all of that. And you can download tracks from All Access (although they are stored locally, they are only available in Play Music).  But you don't own them music should you end the subscription. 

I implement tracking scripts, and use Google Analytics for work. It's all anonymous data. And the fact that I have been introduced to new artists through "I'm Feeling Lucky Radio," that I wouldn't know of at all without that "spaying" means that I am OK with it. 

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #355 of 444
I guess they have to know something so they can pay the artist/label..
Besides it doesn't bother me at all, though I think the way information is collected in relation to marketing and ads is too much.

Of course they need to know something. A lot actually. Just not about me and my listening habits.

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #356 of 444
You do not. I uploaded my existing library to All Access, so I own all of that. And you can download tracks from All Access (although they are stored locally, they are only available in Play Music).  But you don't own them music should you end the subscription. 

I implement tracking scripts, and use Google Analytics for work. It's all anonymous data. And the fact that I have been introduced to new artists through "I'm Feeling Lucky Radio," that I wouldn't know of at all without that "spaying" means that I am OK with it. 

Are you goin for the bull of the year? Anonymous tracking. That's a good laugh.

Of course most people dont bother. Why would they, it's not like they have any idea about what happens with all those collected stats. But after you see that up close you may have a very diif take on it. Ever heard one of those stories about people who visited a sausage factory and never ate one again?!

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #358 of 444
The streaming companies pay a royalty to the copyright owners each time a song is played. In order to do so, they need to track which songs are played. There's no getting around it.

So? They need a counter which says "song X was played 500 times". Make it even more detailed "played 500 times in London before lunchtime". Thats fine. Just dont include me and my listening habits into any of that. That brings me zero benefits.
If I want to discover new artists there are a hundred plugins/apps who do it from my PC. Most are free too... and I can even decide how to cfg them to match *my* prefs. Those recommendations you get online dont even care much about what you like. That's secondary at best. No1 is what you are likely to buy. Lets say your taste matches and old, out of print album 90% and a freshly released one 60%. Guess which one you'll receive as a recomendation. And that's just one of the easiest, most obvious tricks.

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #359 of 444
Are you goin for the bull of the year? Anonymous tracking. That's a good laugh.

Of course most people dont bother. Why would they, it's not like they have any idea about what happens with all those collected stats. But after you see that up close you may have a very diif take on it. Ever heard one of those stories about people who visited a sausage factory and never ate one again?!

I work with it every day. There are only a handful of tracking scripts that aren't anonymous, because what every individual does is of little importance. It's too much data for any human being to look at,so of course it's anonymous. Google doesn't care what you listen to, beyond the ability to tailor the product to you, thus making it better and increasing its value. But computers do that, algorithms are developed, and computers crunch numbers to deliver relevant content, and to the servers, you're just another number.

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #360 of 444
I work with it every day. There are only a handful of tracking scripts that aren't anonymous, because what every individual does is of little importance. It's too much data for any human being to look at,so of course it's anonymous. Google doesn't care what you listen to, beyond the ability to tailor the product to you, thus making it better and increasing its value. But computers do that, algorithms are developed, and computers crunch numbers to deliver relevant content, and to the servers, you're just another number.

Dont wanna ruin your good time at the office :).
Lets just say I have a very diff exp and opinion after 15+ years of IT. And no FB account. Same "sausage issues"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back