What book are you reading right now?
Mar 17, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #3,541 of 5,346
Again with the light reading, Quinto.

My wife claims I'm a nerd
biggrin.gif

..and hug my two dogs on a daily basis

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #3,542 of 5,346

Bought this recently, Nietzsche's notes ordered and translated in Dutch.. Such an eloquent man who always makes you think over your own ideas..
I personally still consider his first book the best but maybe that's because it was my first Nietzsche experience..

The birth of tragedy? That is also my fav along with "beyond good and evil" - I didn't like thus spoke Zarathustra that much 

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #3,544 of 5,346
My wife claims I'm a nerd
biggrin.gif

..and huge my two dogs on a daily basis

...while i'm rather the type who walks down the street with a pencil on his ear and a marker and a notepad in his pocket. 
wink.gif

I like Nitzsche because his style is quite engaging to read and his books are quite short in comparison to his contemporaries.
Unlike this guy:

(engl.: Critique Of Pure Reason - Immanuel Kant)

I literally fell asleep after the first 5 pages. One sentence was half a page (germans love long sentences).   I often tell people that only if they are/were able to finish that book, they have mastered the german language.

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #3,546 of 5,346

Bought this recently, Nietzsche's notes ordered and translated in Dutch.. Such an eloquent man who always makes you think over your own ideas..
I personally still consider his first book the best but maybe that's because it was my first Nietzsche experience..

Have you read through all of them yet? 
wink_face.gif

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #3,547 of 5,346
Oh yea - looking forward to starting this later today ¬ 

Mar 17, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #3,549 of 5,346
  ...while i'm rather the type who walks down the street with a pencil on his ear and a marker and a notepad in his pocket. 
wink.gif

I like Nitzsche because his style is quite engaging to read and his books are quite short in comparison to his contemporaries.
Unlike this guy:

(engl.: Critique Of Pure Reason - Immanuel Kant)

I literally fell asleep after the first 5 pages. One sentence was half a page (germans love long sentences).   I often tell people that only if they are/were able to finish that book, they have mastered the german language.

I read half a book of his once, his writings are a stylistic disaster
biggrin.gif
  I checked my copy of 'Critique of Pure Reason', pff 2004, time flies..I made it until page 169 of 673..

Did you ever try Schopenhauer, he writes a lot about Kant and is quite readable and darn interesting

I would like to give Kant another try sometimes, who knows
rolleyes.gif

Mar 17, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #3,550 of 5,346
Shogun, by James Clavell.  For the 4th or 5th time in the past 40 yrs.  I've read all of Clavells books numerous times.  Shogun was his most ambitious and IMO his greatest.  Written in a time when books weren't written with an eye towards being adapted to TV or the Cinema.  Seems like so many books I read feel like movie scripts.  Anyhow, strongly recommend Shogun!!! 

Mar 17, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #3,551 of 5,346
  Shogun, by James Clavell.  For the 4th or 5th time in the past 40 yrs.  I've read all of Clavells books numerous times.  Shogun was his most ambitious and IMO his greatest.  Written in a time when books weren't written with an eye towards being adapted to TV or the Cinema.  Seems like so many books I read feel like movie scripts.  Anyhow, strongly recommend Shogun!!! 

Shogun is a lifetime favorite. Incredible work. I though they did a good job on the mini series too. By far my favorite of Clavell's works.

Mar 17, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #3,552 of 5,346
I read half a book of his once, his writings are a stylistic disaster
biggrin.gif
  I checked my copy of 'Critique of Pure Reason', pff 2004, time flies..I made it until page 169 of 673..

Did you ever try Schopenhauer, he writes a lot about Kant and is quite readable and darn interesting

I would like to give Kant another try sometimes, who knows
rolleyes.gif

Exactly....after those 5 pages, i told myself that how mind-blowing he might be, I simply have too much 'real stuff 'on my mind to allocate much of my brain power to deciphering his syntax.
Gladly it was my cousins book, so i didn't buy it in the first place.
biggrin.gif

Actually I started to read a Schopenhauer compilation a while ago (i think i still have the book flying around somewhere), but somehow stopped in the middle.
I wanted to continue reading it a year later, but at that time my interest had somewhat shifted away from pessimism. 

I yet have to find a book (in any language) which is more difficult to follow than 'Critique of pure reason'. I probably have to be on a deserted island (with nothing to do) in order to finish that one...

Mar 17, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #3,553 of 5,346

Exactly....after those 5 pages, i told myself that how mind-blowing he might be, I simply have too much 'real stuff 'on my mind to allocate much of my brain power to deciphering his syntax.
Gladly it was my cousins book, so i didn't buy it in the first place.
biggrin.gif

Actually I started to read a Schopenhauer compilation a while ago (i think i still have the book flying around somewhere), but somehow stopped in the middle.
I wanted to continue reading it a year later, but at that time my interest had somewhat shifted away from pessimism. 

I yet have to find a book (in any language) which is more difficult to follow than 'Critique of pure reason'. I probably have to be on a deserted island (with nothing to do) in order to finish that one...

I would agree - i also have "critic of pure reason" but I found Heideggers "on Mindfulness" harder going. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back