What book are you reading right now?
Mar 17, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #3,556 of 5,346
  I would agree - i also have "critic of pure reason" but I found Heideggers "on Mindfulness" harder going. 

I have not yet read Heideggers, but will surely will. Slowly creating a list of books to read. 

But I need to admit that don't know how those philosophers compare in English, as I always try to avoid translations.

Mar 17, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #3,557 of 5,346

Exactly....after those 5 pages, i told myself that how mind-blowing he might be, I simply have too much 'real stuff 'on my mind to allocate much of my brain power to deciphering his syntax.
Gladly it was my cousins book, so i didn't buy it in the first place.
biggrin.gif

Actually I started to read a Schopenhauer compilation a while ago (i think i still have the book flying around somewhere), but somehow stopped in the middle.
I wanted to continue reading it a year later, but at that time my interest had somewhat shifted away from pessimism. 

I yet have to find a book (in any language) which is more difficult to follow than 'Critique of pure reason'. I probably have to be on a deserted island (with nothing to do) in order to finish that one...

Schopenhauer is so much more then the 'pessimist' people make of him.. If you ever get the urge, you really should try his main work, Die Welt als Wille und Vorstellung, which is by far his best work (which he finished before being 30!) compared to his other stuff or what others write about him, although Rudiger Safranski wrote a very good book on Schopenhauer..  I find most people who talk down on this man haven't read him or only about him at best..He gives a darn original and interesting perspective on various matters. I really enjoyed reading him..

I agree with MagicCabbage, if you want something more difficult to follow than 'Critique of pure reason', try Heidegger ...for plain annoyance try Hegel
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #3,558 of 5,346
Schopenhauer is so much more then the 'pessimist' people make of him.. If you ever get the urge, you really should try his main work, Die Welt als Wille und Vorstellung, which is by far his best work (which he finished before being 30!) compared to his other stuff or what others write about him, although Rudiger Safranski wrote a very good book on Schopenhauer..  I find most people who talk down on this man haven't read him or only about him at best..He gives a darn original and interesting perspective on various matters. I really enjoyed reading him..

I agree with MagicCabbage, if you want something more difficult to follow than 'Critique of pure reason', try Heidegger ...for plain annoyance try Hegel
biggrin.gif

Indeed...his ideas on suffering and compassion are very interesting..
I surely will....
The book i read was mainly a compilation rather than a commentary...

I think Hegel can wait for me...he always reminds of a philosophy teacher i had at school who constantly mentioned Hegel 
(french love Hegel, germans love Kant). 
rolleyes.gif

The problem with those books is, that one needs to be in the right frame of mind to read them....rarely happens with me. Too tired or busy most of the time.

Mar 17, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #3,559 of 5,346
Hegel is not philosophy, it's a cult
tongue.gif

I know what you mean, my frame of mind is music/composers and science these days.. (and some Nietzsche because the books were a unexpected bargain I couldn't let pass)
rolleyes.gif

Just ordered another 'Higgs Force' by Nicholas Mee (fasinating stuff!), since my dog used it as a toy
redface.gif

Mar 17, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #3,560 of 5,346
  Hegel is not philosophy, it's a cult
tongue.gif

I know what you mean, my frame of mind is music/composers and science these days.. (and some Nietzsche because the books were a unexpected bargain I couldn't let pass)
rolleyes.gif

Just ordered another 'Higgs Force' by Nicholas Mee (fasinating stuff!), since my dog used it as a toy
redface.gif

Science, now there is a subject that interests me. Have you any recommendations on what to read in science. The last great science book I read was "the Blind Watch maker" by Dawkings 

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #3,561 of 5,346
  Science, now there is a subject that interests me. Have you any recommendations on what to read in science. The last great science book I read was "the Blind Watch maker" by Dawkings 

Dawkins is great..

Brian Greene wrote great books, The Elegant Universe is a great intro into string theory, his Parallel Universes is wonderful too..he reads like a thriller..

Higgs Force by Nicholas Mee goes somewhat deeper into the material but very good to follow for a non-English layman like myself..  The Black Hole War by Leonard Susskind is a great read as wis his Cosmic Landscape..  I bought some Stephen Jay Gould books lately and The Ancestors Tale by Dawkins ...but haven't got to them yet
tongue_smile.gif

Science is so darn exciting, especially in our time and there are lots of great books out there..

O I forgot Laurence Krauss, "A Universe from Nothing" said to be a great book, I only read one chapter or so yet, stands high on my to read list, which is way to long
redface.gif

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #3,562 of 5,346

Dawkins is great..

Brian Greene wrote great books, The Elegant Universe is a great intro into string theory, his Parallel Universes is wonderful too..he reads like a thriller..

Higgs Force by Nicholas Mee goes somewhat deeper into the material but very good to follow for a non-English layman like myself..  The Black Hole War by Leonard Susskind is a great read as wis his Cosmic Landscape..  I bought some Stephen Jay Gould books lately and The Ancestors Tale by Dawkins ...but haven't got to them yet
tongue_smile.gif

Science is so darn exciting, especially in our time and there are lots of great books out there..

O I forgot Laurence Krauss, "A Universe from Nothing" said to be a great book, I only read one chapter or so yet, stands high on my to read list, which is way to long
redface.gif

Brilliant thanks for the post, i will get each and every one of those for sure. 

I have mentioned this book before and will post it again because it really is exceptional. You should try and get your hands on it if you haven't read it. ¬

Mar 18, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #3,565 of 5,346
  Shogun, by James Clavell.  For the 4th or 5th time in the past 40 yrs.  I've read all of Clavells books numerous times.  Shogun was his most ambitious and IMO his greatest.  Written in a time when books weren't written with an eye towards being adapted to TV or the Cinema.  Seems like so many books I read feel like movie scripts.  Anyhow, strongly recommend Shogun!!! 

I think I remember reading that a film version of Shogun was quite far advanced at one stage, before being abandoned.

Mar 18, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #3,566 of 5,346
Mar 18, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #3,569 of 5,346
  Wanted to say the exact same thing....high five..
size]

I always wished i could be somebody like...

....but I now noticed that i am far too stupid for that kind of stuff...

yea the word genius is not enough to describe his contribution, in fact the same thing goes for most of the mathematicians mentioned in the book. "Fermat's last theorem" is definitely my favorite non fiction. I have read it 3 times. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back