What book are you reading right now?
Mar 8, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #3,514 of 5,346
OK Words of Radiance fans.....I am so into this book...But I CANNOT BELIEVE HE KILLED OFF A MAJOR CHARACTER at this point!!....

Sorry...But I did not see that coming.....

Back to my reading......

Mar 8, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #3,515 of 5,346
  OK Words of Radiance fans.....I am so into this book...But I CANNOT BELIEVE HE KILLED OFF A MAJOR CHARACTER at this point!!....

Back to my reading......

eh woe man ...... others might wanna read it !  I hope you are talking about who i think you are talking about and not some other character in another part of the story that i haven't gotten to yet.  
rolleyes.gif

Mar 8, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #3,516 of 5,346

Back to my reading......

eh woe man ...... others might wanna read it !  I hope you are talking about who i think you are talking about and not some other character in another part of the story that i haven't gotten to yet.  
rolleyes.gif

I did not name names.....At least it is not Game of Thrones....

Mar 8, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #3,518 of 5,346

....couldn't finish through with it, gave up on the last 100 pages - first time in my life I didn't manage to finish a book...
(my 5th Murakami Novel - even finished 1Q84)

was i talking to you before about Murakami? I was thinking of giving him a go a while back but but was reluctant because of other translated texts to English from Japanese or Chinese that i had read in the past. I don't seem to like Chinese/Japanese to English novels. I was hoping maybe Murikami was different?  

Mar 8, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #3,519 of 5,346
  was i talking to you before about Murakami? I was thinking of giving him a go a while back but but was reluctant because of other translated texts to English from Japanese or Chinese that i had read in the past. I don't seem to like Chinese/Japanese to English novels. I was hoping maybe Murikami was different?  

I try to avoid translations wherever I can, as I firmly believe that reading the original style of writing is crucial to understanding a work as a whole. Therefore I also refuse to read bad translations. 
Kafka is my favourite example for this.

Based on this attitude, I can tell you that the Murakami translators, especially Jay Rubin*, do a very reasonable job at translating the work. As I am not (yet) able to read Japanese, my opinion may not be as valid as an opinion coming from a Japanese-English speaker.
Yet comparing it to other Japanese works, it is very much readable.

But if this your first Murakami book, I advise you to read his shorter novels. (PM for more info)

*currently professor at Harvard University 

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #3,520 of 5,346
Finished this book for 2nd time. The last 300 pages or so really make me yank my hairs!!! Now waiting another year or so for the next book.....

Quote:
  OK Words of Radiance fans.....I am so into this book...But -----------------cencored (sorry!!!)--------------------....

Back to my reading......

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #3,521 of 5,346

....couldn't finish through with it, gave up on the last 100 pages - first time in my life I didn't manage to finish a book...
(my 5th Murakami Novel - even finished 1Q84)

I have the exact same experience, allthough I think this was number 6. It Just seems he rewrites the same characters over and over put into different landscapes. I might try some of his non fiction sometime to get a restart.

Mar 16, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #3,522 of 5,346
I have the exact same experience, allthough I think this was number 6. It Just seems he rewrites the same characters over and over put into different landscapes. I might try some of his non fiction sometime to get a restart.

I need to admit that one of the only reasons I finished 1Q84, is that I spent a few days in hospital, where I had time to finish it.

I also don't consider Murakami to be a 'world-class' author. His stories, in my opinion, can seem very unpolished and too random (even for surrealism).

But after 5 book, I have become fairly bored with his writing, although After Dark and Norwegian Wood are 2 of my favourite novels to date. I cannot really bring myself to continue reading his other works, at least for now.
At the moment I still looking for replacements or books which have a similar vibe to AD or NW, but have failed to find any.

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #3,523 of 5,346
  Finished this book for 2nd time. The last 300 pages or so really make me yank my hairs!!! Now waiting another year or so for the next book.....

Quote:
  OK Words of Radiance fans.....I am so into this book...But -----------------cencored (sorry!!!)--------------------....

Back to my reading......

Lovely...I am listening ti the Audible recorded book so it takes awhile...

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #3,524 of 5,346
  Lovely...I am listening ti the Audible recorded book so it takes awhile...

I just finished it last night - epic. reading this now 

Mar 16, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #3,525 of 5,346

Been on the list for a while. I wanted to get to it before the film got out and poisoned the experience.

Wonderfully written, and certainly not for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back