What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Apr 15, 2024 at 8:06 PM Post #135,572 of 136,082
Rush - Presto
IMG_0241.jpeg

Rush - Roll The Bones
IMG_3652.jpeg

Apr 15, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #135,574 of 136,082
Nice to know I'm not the only one who can appreciate those "audiophile" CDs :thumbsup:

I have a Makoto Ozone on vinyl - Now You Know, but not that one, and none on CD. Haven't heard it for so long I don't even know what it sounds like.

My default format for music is first press Redbook CD's as 80% of the time I prefer their SQ (especially if subsequent remasters are brickwalled). But I've tried all digital formats, both the hard copies (physical, which I vastly prefer) and downloads (including "hi res"). And of course I have a lot of vinyl rips to digital too.

Usually I only chase down multiple formats of an album if it's a favorite, and/or if it has really good, or really bad, SQ: good because then I want to hear the recording in all of its brilliance in the best sounding (to me) version; bad, because then I want to find the best sounding version I can, as I like the music too much to give up listening to it often because the production is so poor.

I find it very important to pay attention to the SQ of versions of albums and find the best sounding (to you); your system will never sound as good as it can if you are starting with lesser versions of the music recording.

I only have a few Ozone's, (and only a few dozen Japanese jazz artist albums) including his latest release from 2024 that I haven't listened to yet.

folder (10).jpg

Folder (3).jpg

Folder (14).jpg

Apr 15, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #135,575 of 136,082
1713236114373.png

Pink Floyd - Live At The Rainbow Theatre London, 20 Feb 1972
1713236267327.png

Pueblo Cafe aka Brown Town Looters - Busca Oro
1713236449870.png

Patti Smith Group - Easter

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:11 AM Post #135,577 of 136,082
Nice collection there, I don't have any of them but know the artists.

I only have a few Ozone's, (and only a few dozen Japanese jazz artist albums) including his latest release from 2024 that I haven't listened to yet.
I bought the one album I have and never bought anything else after. Apparently, it wasn't my thing back then. Haven't heard anything by him since.

My default format for music is first press Redbook CD's as 80% of the time I prefer their SQ (especially if subsequent remasters are brickwalled). But I've tried all digital formats, both the hard copies (physical, which I vastly prefer) and downloads (including "hi res"). And of course I have a lot of vinyl rips to digital too.

Usually I only chase down multiple formats of an album if it's a favorite, and/or if it has really good, or really bad, SQ: good because then I want to hear the recording in all of its brilliance in the best sounding (to me) version; bad, because then I want to find the best sounding version I can, as I like the music too much to give up listening to it often because the production is so poor.
I'll only chase after the audiophile edition of CDs if it's a favorite album (too costly to own everything). Or of course if I don't have something I'm looking for or is interested in, I'll look for the premium CD first and go from there. I've been collecting audiophile CDS for years, so this is nothing new to me. Even have some audiophile vinyl before CDs were a thing. These are just some of what I have...

Audiophile-Jazz-Vinyl-Collection.jpg

Anyway, I'm currently listening to the hi-res album of Al Di Meola Saturday Night in San Francisco....

Hi-Res files.jpg

Truth be told though; I'm not exactly found of hi-res files. I think they sound a tad too digital. And why I don't buy them anymore. Here though Saturday Night sounds fabulous, (the SACD Redbook layer still sounds better). I currently only have Friday Night on vinyl (and hi-res files) but will be ordering the audiophile CD soon.

I find it very important to pay attention to the SQ of versions of albums and find the best sounding (to you); your system will never sound as good as it can if you are starting with lesser versions of the music recording.
I couldn't agree more, and why I've invested so much over the years in my audiophile collection, especially CDs, and why I also have a CD player in my system.

Anyway, going back to the Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, and Paco DeLuca albums, have you heard those? Great listen on my Senns HD800S phones :L3000:

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:31 AM Post #135,578 of 136,082
Daryl Hall 1986 (? 2022 remaster)

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 2:33 AM Post #135,580 of 136,082
Masonic Wave 2024

The Drums 2023

The Herbaliser 1995

DMX Krew 2024

Aleksi Perälä 2024

Screenshot_20240416_083252_Roon.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 6:12 AM Post #135,582 of 136,082
Inspired, motivated to further search, or reminded by many fine posts in this thread of all categories I have reached out in PM's to a few and just want to thank and motivate all contributors to keep up your sharing what sounds great to you and yours knowing it is appreciated.

Specifically, most recently @PoSR77 LTN post with Makoto Ozone, I really do love this "Spring Is Here" recording, and @archdawg 's Buddy Terry posts - NICE!

Right on ... let's all keep this fine thread rolling 👍

Another favorite from that era ...

folder.jpg

On a morning walk with global shuffle mode on the rig, ....loads of fun

folder.JPG

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 7:07 AM Post #135,583 of 136,082

Apr 16, 2024 at 7:39 AM Post #135,585 of 136,082
Succinct overview of CAT POWER's 1966 Dylan set list performance 2023

Hauntingly beautiful articulate reproduction of Bob Dylan's poetic genius, considerably enhanced by the recording tools available in 2022 and five engineers successful expertise just gives me chills and goosebumps. Lovely stuff :thumbsup:

Max Richter - "Recomposed: Vivaldi's The Four Seasons" (2012)

81BxzDSlJjL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back