What are the most overpriced headphones?
Dec 5, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #46 of 97
I think the mysticism attached to headphones is ridiculous. There's so much poseur-talk in proportion to what is actually being marketed. You have a pair of drivers, attached to some kind of chamber, connected to a headband and wired to connectors. Where, in that process, are the unicorn tears that make wine testers out of all of us?

Dec 6, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #47 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many so called "high-end" headphones are manufactured under ridiculous conditions in China - wages are about 100$/month (16h/day, 6 days a week) and headphones which are manufactured within a few hours (including components and sub-assembly) are sold for up to a yearly wage! THAT's overpriced!

Actually the case with many newer "high end" headphones is that they're made by the manufacturer in the country they're primarily based. The HD800s are made by Sennheiser in Germany, and I'm betting heavily that the HD650 and HD600 are too (without even looking it up). Also the K601 and K701 are made in Austria. As a result they first have to have their own factory that will only output so many units anyway, then the workers that will get higher pay just because of the location. This results in headphones that cost much more to manufacture than they would in China or similar areas.

I'm not saying that they don't get a lot of profit; most lower end headphones are made in China. Nor am I saying that the companies wouldn't charges as much for such headphones if they did decide to have them made in China anyway; you never know.

Dec 6, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #48 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the mysticism attached to headphones is ridiculous. There's so much poseur-talk in proportion to what is actually being marketed. You have a pair of drivers, attached to some kind of chamber, connected to a headband and wired to connectors. Where, in that process, are the unicorn tears that make wine testers out of all of us?

The Unicorn tears are in the passion and ability of the designer. Just as we still place a value on computer software that goes beyond the media used to install it, we still place a value on the IP needed to entertain us : if we didnt, Jim Cameron would have spent $350 million on Avatar for zero return. I expect that I will see it on sale in Thailand later this month for little more than the cost of the media its been burnt on to, and I also expect that I will see ES7 clones not too far from said DVD : would you like me to bring you back a pair ? No unicorns, but I expect that there will be plenty of tears.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 6, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #49 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulb09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually the case with many newer "high end" headphones is that they're made by the manufacturer in the country they're primarily based. The HD800s are made by Sennheiser in Germany, and I'm betting heavily that the HD650 and HD600 are too (without even looking it up). Also the K601 and K701 are made in Austria. As a result they first have to have their own factory that will only output so many units anyway, then the workers that will get higher pay just because of the location. This results in headphones that cost much more to manufacture than they would in China or similar areas.

I'm not saying that they don't get a lot of profit; most lower end headphones are made in China. Nor am I saying that the companies wouldn't charges as much for such headphones if they did decide to have them made in China anyway; you never know.

Actually both my hd650's and hd600's are made in Ireland.

Dec 6, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #51 of 97
Haha, I would like to say any headphones that are sold in Canada and are a lot cheaper in the US. But, that wouldn't be too fair. But, if I had to choose any headphones that I've auditioned it would be Grados in Canada, I don't think they're worth their Canadian value. But, there's always Alessandros.

Dec 6, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #52 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any of the in-production Grado's, especially here in Norway (~2 1/2 times the US prices)..

X2 for ALL GRADO'S

Dec 6, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #53 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Overpriced? Yes, but the D5000's never have been $450 more expensive than the D2000s.
D5000's retail price: $699
D2000's retail price: $349

Current prices:
D5000's $449 up to $549
D2000's $225 up to $300

Where are you finding D5000's for $450? The cheapest I've seen em is for $550, but the standard for them is around $650-700, and the standard for D2000's is about what you said. There is a $470 difference between the two models at amazon, so you can't say there has never been a $450 difference. Still, I don't even think that the D5000's are worth a $300 difference. That's a lot of money between two similar models IMO.

Dec 6, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #54 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by andy43 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D5000 is one for sure. The difference between the D2000 and D5000 is nowhere near a $450 difference.

But there IS a distinct difference. I have both. Just picked up a D5000 for $350 at Amazon Warehouse and I have to say that it is a much more enjoyable listen than the D2000. $450 more enjoyable? No, but as someone has already pointed out the price spread is nowhere near that in the real world, particularly if you're buying on the used market.

Dec 6, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #55 of 97
The crappy lil'Apple earphones haha. $40aud? No thanks...BTW I don't think the Denon
D5000 are worth it, that is at RRP. As far as i know, it is a D2000 with a cable upgrade and cup upgrade. You may as well spend the extra money buying the D7000 which has a new driver etc or just settle for the D2000. There are many mods for them tho
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #56 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by andy43 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where are you finding D5000's for $450? The cheapest I've seen em is for $550, but the standard for them is around $650-700, and the standard for D2000's is about what you said. There is a $470 difference between the two models at amazon, so you can't say there has never been a $450 difference. Still, I don't even think that the D5000's are worth a $300 difference. That's a lot of money between two similar models IMO.

AH-D5000 Prices

Dec 6, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #58 of 97
HE90 for sure. It's a good headphone but I think so many Stax electrostats are better and a couple dynamics are too, and none of them are near the price of the HE90. Well, except for the R10, kinda.

DT48 I wouldn't pay over $10 for. I haven't heard a Grado I've liked, either.

Dec 6, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #59 of 97
Let's define "overpriced":

1. Too expensive to justify the cost despite quality
Some aren't willing to pay even more than 10$ for headphones - I don't think that's reasonable without caring about sound, craftsmenship...

2. Too expensive regarding it's performance
I agree, but "performance" is mostly subjective outside the labs. And the quality->price-ratio is non-linear, the performance difference between a 10$ and 100$ headphone is much bigger than improving the 100$-performance by spending 1000$.

3. Costs vs. selling price
Many products are manufactured with low-standards, using conventional design (low R&D), cheap materials and production technology with ridiculous standards (unskilled slave-labour). But instead focusing on expensive marketing and high margins for the brand.
These aspects also affect sound-quality and reliability and therefore are a good indication for "overpriced" products.

Sennheiser for example uses/used high-quality suppliers and craftsmenship for the HE90 (which was only build 305 times) and HD800. Spending a lot of effort into R&D (including expensive analysis of materials, simulation of all mechanical and electric components instead of simple trial & error) and having skilled and well-educated technicians in Wedemark (most of them are trained for over 3 years by Sennheiser and special "technical colleges" - not just "trained-on-the-job" like in Ireland or China).

The margins on HD595 or IE8 are most likely much higher - therefore I would call these products "overpriced". Not only regarding sound->price-ratio, which is a matter of personal preference but regarding the possibility to get similar technology/quality for a much lower price.

Dec 6, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #60 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadcykler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ones out of your price range.

Good one:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back