What are the most overpriced headphones?
Dec 5, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #31 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i had to pay customs fees becaue they entered my country of course,i didn't pay the seller's customs fees.
and i didn't buy them to make a profit,that's just your interpretation.
i bought them becaue i wanted them and wanted to use them.
but then changed my mind,and wanted a different headphone,i think i am allowed to do that.
and sorry for the aggressiveness but i was lynched in that "disgrace" mega thread,and could not defend myself at all,it's impossible to explain yourself to so many people,and now people are bringing it up again,i mean what's the point other than to hurt me again?
if it was mentioned once in this thread i wouldn't care,but it got mentioned a few time.

You sold a headphone made for a headphone community for about $500 more than they were WORTH, and you got yelled at by the community. What did you expect? I'm pretty sure if you were expecting praise, you probably would have made a thread with a link to the auction to gain interest. FYI, I don't really care, i'm just explaining what I think.

Dec 5, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #32 of 97
Probably the HE90 Orpheus.

Don't get me wrong - they sound incredible. But they cost as much as a fun old convertible, fast motorcycle or a down payment on a piece of rental property.

I look at things in terms of their utility or investment potential to me. The difference in enjoyment between a HE90, O2, K-1000, or HD-800 is slight. I would greatly enjoy an Orpheus, but it falls short when a lower priced substitute is available and the rest of the money can be put towards something I'd get more use or greater enjoyment from.

Dec 5, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #33 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by deltaspirit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You sold a headphone made for a headphone community for about $500 more than they were WORTH, and you got yelled at by the community. What did you expect? I'm pretty sure if you were expecting praise, you probably would have made a thread with a link to the auction to gain interest. FYI, I don't really care, i'm just explaining what I think.

His wallet is laughing at you, so he could care less.

Dec 5, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #34 of 97
Quote:

But imo, any grado other than the igrado or sr60 is overpriced, especially in canada ( a sr325i is over $400 dollars here and a sr125 is $250)

PS1000s are $2150 ($2033usd)

Dec 5, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #35 of 97
@deltaspirit
First of all,i have been a member for 3 years and you joined this year,and i have 4 times more posts than you.
so show some respect.
secondly,i don't have to justify my actions to you,i already explained why i did what i did,but you ignored it,so i don't care what you think.
this is it,i'm not going to respond to ANY posts regarding this.
as i said,if anyone has a problem with me PM me.
and as for you-deltaspirit,you are on my ignore list from now on.goodbye.

Quote:

Dec 5, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #36 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@deltaspirit
First of all,i have been a member for 3 years and you joined this year,and i have 4 times more posts than you.
so show some respect.
secondly,i don't have to justify my actions to you,i already explained why i did what i did,but you ignored it,so i don't care what you think.
this is it,i'm not going to respond to ANY posts regarding this.
as i said,if anyone has a problem with me PM me.
and as for you-deltaspirit,you are on my ignore list from now on.goodbye.

I hope you know you are overreacting. You clearly felt like you were being singled out for no reason and I was simply explaining why I think you were. Thinking Post count and having been here longer than others entitles you to respect is just stupid, I am going to put it in my signature so I remember to demand some respect from some people on an internet forum when I hit the 700+ post, 3 year mark. Except when I do it, I will be joking.

Dec 5, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #37 of 97
This is the point of small gain vs cost. realistically I think anything over £300/$400.

A £40 pair of headphones ar twice as good as a £20 pair. but. A £400 pair will only be marginally better than a £200 pair

Dec 5, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #38 of 97
Dang. Nobody mess with deltaspirit. That dude isn't playing around.
beerchug.gif

Dec 5, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #39 of 97
just to add to the comment about the PS1ks, i have heard them briefly and they were unlike any other grados i've ever heard in my life. they actually had bass
eek.gif
and i am not a grado fan or anything; im all about sennheisers
smily_headphones1.gif

even after listening to them, they are not worth their price tag. oh and plus they were heavy lol.

but yea more than once i have realized how overpriced grados are.

Dec 5, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #40 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I speak as someone who loves his GS-1000 and RS-1, but who also loves his modded SR-60 (with open back, dolloped driver and modded cushions).

I really love my Grado SR60 cos its not overpriced headphone.

Dec 5, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #41 of 97
Hmm lemme see would I rather buy a new Grado RS1i from a UK retailer:
grado rs1i headphones - Google Product Search
or a used RS1 from a US head-fier for $500-600...?

As for the fashion part, my mind jumps to the ESW10JPN. An upgraded ESW9, with different cups, costing max. 25% more during production, but the fashion part is redundant unless you go to lots of meets or something since you wouldn't wear woodies like that outside. But they cost 2x the ESW9...

Dec 5, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #43 of 97
Great - another supposedly innocuous thread that has turned into an opp. to Grado bash.

1. If you dont like Grados, or think anything over the MS1 is overpriced, its pretty simple - dont buy anything beyond the MS1

2. Skullcandy change their designs continually, but I dont see them mentioned as VFM, innovative or whatever - they sound like crap and they are crap.

3. Using this thread as a mechanism for defending *Pose* while slagging off at everyone who has bought a more expensive pair of headphones is ludicrous.

I posted about 3 months ago that we all have a line in the sand - when it gets silly is when we completely erase that line because a new FOTM has everyone gibbering about how great the new phone is : if we each bought one good headphone and didnt return to Head-Fi, I suspect we could all save a bundle. In my case, I'd only spend it on cheap booze and expensive women, but thats a whole other 'VFM' thread right there.
very_evil_smiley.gif

(PS ever notice how 'inadequate' an old favourite suddenly becomes in many reviews - both here and elsewhere ? The implication is that no professional reviewer could ever go back to their home rig after spending a week or two with a pair of 150K speakers hooked up to a megabuck pre/power rig, yet somehow they do - we dont all need that Ferrari, friends, even if it is nice to dream).

Dec 5, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #44 of 97
But reasonably most of us already have that Ferrari. What we're looking at in upgrades is something closer to tuning or better tires.

Most people here have a decent amp, source, and a multi hundred dollar headphones. To your average music listener that's pretty extreme luxury.

When headphones get too expensive (or overpriced) really depends on the size of your wallet, unless you're talking about one reseller asking for more than another.

Dec 5, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #45 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by andy43 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D5000 is one for sure. The difference between the D2000 and D5000 is nowhere near a $450 difference.

Overpriced? Yes, but the D5000's never have been $450 more expensive than the D2000s.
D5000's retail price: $699
D2000's retail price: $349

Current prices:
D5000's $449 up to $549
D2000's $225 up to $300

Users who are viewing this thread

Back