What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Sep 11, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #1,102 of 14,566
or was it 2003, i can't remember #90sChild

just bought martha mödl's 1955 'august' gotterdammerung, in the same stereo as the prior cycle from bayreuth that year. 

Sep 13, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #1,104 of 14,566
Actually it was over seven years old, Photoshop 1.0 was released on 19 February 1990; by 1997 Photoshop was at version 4.0, launched in November 1996. :devil_face:e

Yeah, but do you remember what a Nikon SCSI film scanner was back then? Even the cheap ones were near the 3K to 5K mark, not counting on the Mac to use it...with OS9. Our intro to graphic editing lab only had two film scanners.

Sep 15, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #1,105 of 14,566
  or was it 2003, i can't remember #90sChild

just bought martha mödl's 1955 'august' gotterdammerung, in the same stereo as the prior cycle from bayreuth that year. 

Review??

Now or something completely different...............

Since I have a non critical Windoze machine with Win 10,  I decided to turn it to an experimental machine and I became a Windows Insider.  Two OS versions later, I finally have the 14915 version which is the one with the early experimental native UAC2 (read USB version 2 audio support).  Since this machine has no Windoze drivers. I can report on the compatibility as follows:
All current Schiit DACs work with this version and no driver.  I also hooked up an A/D converter sample that I just happened to have floating around here and it did NOT work without the driver.
The conclusion is that the early UAC2 implementation is a "diode".  The USB2 audio comes out of the computer, but not back in. 

Let me be clear:  I do NOT recommend anyone try this at home.  Microsoft informs its insiders that experimental builds of Windoze may crash so severely that it may require reloading the OS.  Neither Schiit nor myself can nor will support any experimental Windows versions.

That said, if you are a Windows user, you are perhaps already well used to crashes, lack of security, and last decade's audio technology today.  Those are the trade-offs for the availability of engineering and small-medium business software which accounts for Windows ubiquity in those arenas.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 15, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #1,106 of 14,566

From page 135 of the October Stereophile:

"My cult strongly believes that the dominant principle behind all genuine invention is the chi of the designer. So instead of joining, say, the idler, triode, and hornspeaker cults, I prefer to study the paths of such living chi masters as Mike Moffat, Charles Hansen, John Curl..."

-Herb Reichert, First Watt J2 review.

Kudos, oh chi master, and keep the genuine inventions coming.

Sep 16, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #1,107 of 14,566

"My cult strongly believes that the dominant principle behind all genuine invention is the chi of the designer. So instead of joining, say, the idler, triode, and hornspeaker cults, I prefer to study the paths of such living chi masters as Mike Moffat, Charles Hansen, John Curl..."

+1

And um...with all this talk of cults I at first read this as Charles Manson :eek:

Sep 16, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #1,109 of 14,566

Cheers to chi masters everywhere but one person's chi master is another person's chia pet.

There's a guy who posts over on Paul McGowan's blog that absolutely detests John Curl.

I am sure such sentiments can be found about each of the listed luminaries.  OTOH, those 3 mentioned all make products I would like and trust to function correctly and reliably.

@Baldr, you mentioned Manhattan sounded great while only modifying one of 13 parameters.  
(a) Thirteen is an evil number, surely you can conjure one more or remove one parameter.
(b) Any possibility of a hint as to what these parameters are?  Perhaps parameter 1 reduces the jerk of the electrons powering transients in a phase-correct way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back