What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 29, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #2,566 of 14,566

OK, OK...  It is a vinyl playing, CD and laser disc playing portable at just under 40 pounds which has DSP to make it feel lighter. 

And I just got rid of my laser discs!! Damn!

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #2,567 of 14,566

OK, OK...  It is a vinyl playing, CD and laser disc playing portable at just under 40 pounds which has DSP to make it feel lighter. 

​Does that come with a scrunchie for the required hipster man-bun?

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #2,568 of 14,566

Bored now... Don't Care...just luxuriating in some Chesky Jazz...sublime detail on Gumby/Lyr ...Well, OK,... I care a little bit ! :wink:

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #2,570 of 14,566
Mike,

I understand that the AD5791 is a 20 bit DAC chip. I also understand that you use 2 per channel in a hardware balanced configuration. I also know that the DSP in the Yggdrasil does its internal math in 32 bits. I understand that before the data is passed to the DAC chip it is rounded to 20 bits.

If that is all correct, can you explain how you get 21 bits of resolution when the data is only 20 bits?

By the way, I received my Mjolnir 2 today and is magical in combination with the Yggdrasil!!

Thanks,

Scott

P.S. Did you ever get a chance to head down to West Covina to eat at Mr. Pollo?

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #2,571 of 14,566
  ...By the way, I received my Mjolnir 2 today and is magical in combination with the Yggdrasil!!

As an aside... is the MJ2 a 'noticeable' step up from your Lyr  IYO ?

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #2,572 of 14,566
  As an aside... is the MJ2 a 'noticeable' step up from your Lyr  IYO ?

Absolutely a step up! Though I am not sure how much of that is from switching to XLR interconnects and going fully balanced.

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #2,573 of 14,566
Sounds like a Wyrd+Singxer SU1 of sorts. Maybe it has inputs via Ethernet as well. So maybe a Rednet3+SU1 in a box kind of thing.

Can't wait to find out!

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #2,574 of 14,566
  Mike,

I understand that the AD5791 is a 20 bit DAC chip. I also understand that you use 2 per channel in a hardware balanced configuration. I also know that the DSP in the Yggdrasil does its internal math in 32 bits. I understand that before the data is passed to the DAC chip it is rounded to 20 bits.

If that is all correct, can you explain how you get 21 bits of resolution when the data is only 20 bits?

By the way, I received my Mjolnir 2 today and is magical in combination with the Yggdrasil!!

Thanks,

Scott

P.S. Did you ever get a chance to head down to West Covina to eat at Mr. Pollo?

Two phase halves summed yield an extra 6 db (1 Bit) of resolution.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 29, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #2,576 of 14,566
​Does that come with a scrunchie for the required hipster man-bun?

I want a Mike moffat branded shaving cream set! Inside the eitr! And a boar bristle brush!!

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #2,578 of 14,566
  The speculation continues. If MP is it own thing coming in the fall, than maybe Eitr is a music streamer or digital transport? I don't think its a DAC since they would probably upgrade the Bifrost next. 

Think Schiit is on the recording saying streamers/DAPs are not really something they want to get into because designing/handling software and interfaces for those bastards is a royal pain in the ass. I'm curious to see what Mike's been working on, can't wait!

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #2,579 of 14,566
I ike the sound of the Eitr/Eatr.  I speculate a USB DDC/cleaner/reclocker.  Wyrd's big brother.  Also, vinyl click/pop removal - we want the whole enchilada. jk

I particularly like the name eitr.  I speculate it's the root/antecedent of the word ether as the wikipedia definition defines it as the source of all living things.  

So, it's a liquid that breathes life into SPDIF/USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back