What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 14, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #2,386 of 14,566
  Would a Fulla multibit be feasible with regards to heat? My Mimby puts dissipates quite a bit of heat in a much larger case. I think it gets warmer than my Vali 2. And that's not including the heat generated from the amp section a multibit Fulla would have.

But then again, I'm not a hardware engineer, but it seems like quite a challenge.

I think Mike would sooner put a Multibit DAC into Jotunheim, but even that too is far too tight a space (he's on the record saying). Don't hold your breath for Fulmby.

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #2,388 of 14,566

If it were me, and I were unleashing a game changer on the world, my v.1 would have a power switch and a single button to "bypass" the box's single setting. Let multiple settings come in v.2, when I've heard feedback from a few thousand pairs of ears. 

Not at all sure I can disagree, though I personally want all the bells and whistles (whatever that actually means, weird phrase) so I can play with the settings and make a mess and indulge my inner toddler. And from the inventor/maker's point of view, it must be tempting to unleash the Gadget's full potential on an unsuspecting world. Of course, Schiit could again do what it did with pre-amps, make two variations.

Seems there may be a bit of a Schiit schiism developing. Jason sticks with almost Amish audio, eschewing even the most basic tone (and balance) controls. Then here comes Mike with something several orders of magnitude beyond mere tone controls. Fun to watch; and we'll all be the beneficiaries.

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #2,392 of 14,566

Thanks, Cozzi - makes sense from that angle. A local rail museum runs steam trains occasionally, must ride one soon...

Don't.
It'll ruin your day, ears, health and wathever.
Beter listen to this and be done with it.

https://www.freesound.org/people/keithpeter/sounds/125211/

Now back to concentrate on the misterious gadget.

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #2,393 of 14,566

Thanks, Cozzi - makes sense from that angle. A local rail museum runs steam trains occasionally, must ride one soon...

Ride the steam train---the sounds, sights, and smells of coal fired steam are rapidly disappearing from sight. Grab some history while you can.

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #2,394 of 14,566
So back in the day I owned a Meridian 518 digital audio processor.  It was the Swiss army knife that fit between your transport and dac.  It handled dejittering, volume control, allowed for different word lengths on both the input and output, and provided multiple noise-shaping / redithering algorithms.   The 20 bit procession it offered with both pre/post emphasis was just magic when used with my Levinson dac.  This was way before computers were used as music servers and now many of these functions are handled via your playback software.  But I’m hoping the Manhattan Project is something along those lines, just using current technology. 

FWIF, I still use my 15 year old Levinson 360s and have no intention of replacing it until it dies, but it most certainly will be with an Yggy.  And for the record I’m loving my Bimby although it’s in a different system.  One of these days I’ll do a side by side of the Levinson and Bimby but it will have to be with an old school transport (Levinson 37) since my “Italian” USB converter stopped working when Apple updated their operating system... I did enjoy the ST glass optical input though.

Cheers

Mar 15, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #2,395 of 14,566
  Would a Fulla multibit be feasible with regards to heat? My Mimby puts dissipates quite a bit of heat in a much larger case. I think it gets warmer than my Vali 2. And that's not including the heat generated from the amp section a multibit Fulla would have.

But then again, I'm not a hardware engineer, but it seems like quite a challenge.

Mmmm.. Nor am I...but I've been thinking some more about this. IIRC, Jason mentioned some time back that he 'could get behind' the idea of a high-quality portable Amp/Dac, but at the time there were a couple of unanswered questions that they were still working on. So, maybe not outside the realms of possibility ?

EDIT: But I guess that could have been Fulla 2... I don't have one myself.

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #2,397 of 14,566
  Is new Focal FSP-8 close to what Manhattan could offer?

http://www.focal.com/en/shape-your-sound-new-focal-dsp-fsp-8

That looks to be a car audio device, an environment that needs as much help as it can get!

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #2,399 of 14,566
  Don't.
It'll ruin your day, ears, health and wathever.
Beter listen to this and be done with it.

https://www.freesound.org/people/keithpeter/sounds/125211/

Now back to concentrate on the misterious gadget.

Thanks, but I think I'll be safe so long as I stay in the car where I'm supposed to...
  Ride the steam train---the sounds, sights, and smells of coal fired steam are rapidly disappearing from sight. Grab some history while you can.

Couple of years back, was walking along a blufftop next to the railroad, when an honest-to-god steam engine pulling several cars went by. Some sort of tourist excursion no doubt. Unfortunately, it had apparently been converted to oil-fired, because there wasn't any smoke to speak of. Still a memorable surprise.

And at the risk of getting back on topic, wondering if there is any reason The Gadget has to be a piece of physical gear. Couldn't it just be a computer program, or at least available as such?  Of course, I'm not gonna pass up the opportunity to grab another box of Schiit, but many more-computer-focused audio geeks might prefer to just load and go.

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #2,400 of 14,566

And at the risk of getting back on topic, wondering if there is any reason The Gadget has to be a piece of physical gear. Couldn't it just be a computer program, or at least available as such?  

I imagine since it's a never-been-done-before product, they'd want to avoid compatibility issues with the various computers, processors, OS's, etc... it's more reliable to stick it in a box and just have it work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back