What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 13, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #2,356 of 14,566
Fulla MultiBit?
The Fimby?

Quote Baldr: My last series of projects has been to make multibit widely available to suit a range of pocketbooks...

I concur with @AviP  A small multibit between Fulla & Modi for 'pocketbooks' (unless I have mistranslated...entirely possible)

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #2,357 of 14,566

Quote Baldr: My last series of projects has been to make multibit widely available to suit a range of pocketbooks...

I concur with @AviP  A small multibit between Fulla & Modi for 'pocketbooks' (unless I have mistranslated...entirely possible)

The pocketbook reference is to affordability, not to size. In other words, having multibit products at multiple prices. I don't know how much more affordable it could get than Mimby, though Schiit does constantly surprise in that regard. I'm guessing it would be hard to get it any smaller either, with current components at least

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #2,358 of 14,566
  So how do I configure it?

All of the above, depending on (A) how expensive you want to make it (B) how big and (C) whether you want to break new ground for Schiit by including a touchscreen display.

Should be easy enough to offer two or three standard settings, selectable by toggling with a button a la Ragnarok. Mode A might be best for classical, jazz fans might prefer Mode B, then there's Baldr's reserve setting at Mode C. And Mode D could be the Frankenstein channel, full user adjustment.

Letting folks roll their own would almost certainly involve either rotary knobs or a screen (which could also display value curves or suchlike.) This might also require a user manual with real lengthy instructions rather than Jason's usual breezy quipfest. Of course, there's endless opportunity for people to get it horribly wrong, but where's the harm if they're playing in their own living rooms? They might even learn something.

Whatever appears should be very cool, not least because it will put the proverbial cat amongst the high-end pigeons. Can't wait.

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #2,359 of 14,566

The pocketbook reference is to affordability, not to size. In other words, having multibit products at multiple prices. I don't know how much more affordable it could get than Mimby, though Schiit does constantly surprise in that regard. I'm guessing it would be hard to get it any smaller either, with current components at least

Ah, I see. Language differences !

EDIT: I think @Baldr is having a bit of fun at our expense !

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #2,360 of 14,566
Another option would be to include a USB interface for connection to a computer, where the actual heavy lifting can reside on a more powerful device and the result downloaded to the Manhattan (ala Dirac.)  With perhaps a measurement microphone?  But then the device would be confused with room correction rather than music correction...

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #2,361 of 14,566
  Another option would be to include a USB interface for connection to a computer, where the actual heavy lifting can reside on a more powerful device and the result downloaded to the Manhattan (ala Dirac.)  With perhaps a measurement microphone?  But then the device would be confused with room correction rather than music correction...

Potentially a great idea - maximum flexibility. And why not combine room and music correction? (Pretty sure a microphone would be useful only for room correction.) Lord knows my room has issues (we'll leave my music's issues out of it, thank you very much.) Of course, the downside is that you are giving the feckless and under-informed more than enough sonic rope to hang themselves. Any unit (physical or program) should have an In/Out switch to permit instant comparison.

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #2,366 of 14,566
  Oh, so you want them to keep undercutting their own product like they did with the Mimby/Bimby. Not too sure how enthusiastic they'd be about that. It would be nice for the customer, though. 

I want them to keep doing whatever they think is best for them to do; most of the audio gear I own nowadays is Schiit as opposed to a few years ago, there is nothing I'd like more than to see them thrive for many years to come. I'm not telling them how to run their business nor am I explicitly coersing them to cannibalize their own product line up.

All I said is that in theory, I, as someone who would struggle to find the money to afford a Gungnir Multibit, would love it if a (potentially Bifrost sized) balanced, multibit DAC below the Gungnir were to be released. I'm not sure how that warrants such an abrasive reply.

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #2,367 of 14,566

I want them to keep doing whatever they think is best for them to do; most of the audio gear I own nowadays is Schiit as opposed to a few years ago, there is nothing I'd like more than to see them thrive for many years to come. I'm not telling them how to run their business nor am I explicitly coersing them to cannibalize their own product line up.

All I said is that in theory, I, as someone who would struggle to find the money to afford a Gungnir Multibit, would love it if a (potentially Bifrost sized) balanced, multibit DAC below the Gungnir were to be released. I'm not sure how that warrants such an abrasive reply.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off abrasive, should have probably used an emoji. 
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #2,368 of 14,566
  Sorry, I didn't mean to come off abrasive, should have probably used an emoji. 
wink.gif

Nothing to apologise for, I appreciate the clarification, I figured you may be being sarcastic to an extent to begin with but as usual it is a little hard to tell from just text! Regardless, what I said stands. 
smily_headphones1.gif

As @ColtMrFire stated, it is true that Schiit's multibit lineup is actually quite solid at this point - however, whilst I don't think it really would be very Schiit-like at all to craft a DAC aimed at high rollers only, I do still think the possibility of a smaller form factor/slightly less expensive balanced DAC may be an interesting idea. Especially now that the Jotunheim is a thing and that Mike has said a MB module for it is impossible to make as of yet, a balanced, similarly sized dedicated DAC would be fairly fitting. Now whether or not it is realistic is another matter entirely, I'd just like to see it happen!

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #2,369 of 14,566
Oh, after reading the last post from Mike aaand if Schiit ends offering a MP version with user adjustable parameters, I just began to drool at the idea of having a MP being able to use specific "presets" for different genres/albums. I'm already picturing a Schiit's fans MP database.

Pretty much what you can see in the guitar community for Axe FX, where talented guys -with a lot of free time- upload the configs that make average joes to have a guitar tone almost identical to the ones from guitar gods like Steve Vai or John Petrucci.

Make it happen, please
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #2,370 of 14,566
Fully adjustable Gadget that may damage equipment would be a bad thing.  I think 2 models, one cheaper with limited flexibility and one with moah!

How does the effect of the Gadget compare to Cello's Audio Palette or Daniel Hertz Master Class?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back