Westone UM3X Thread
May 28, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #766 of 4,413
I guess that could be it. I tend to listen to my music at fairly low volumes. I think the upfront presentation has to do with mostly the vocals though, and I don't listen to a lot of vocal oriented music so I suppose that could have something to do with it as well.

May 29, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #769 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^Haha, you're right. I have been trying to justify selling the UM3X for a few days now. It's so strange how much can change when you get to compare two headphones side by side. My main hesitation with the PFE is the fact that they really need the E5 to sound great. This means always having to lug around a LOD and amp. The Westone has zero benefit from the E5, but does sound a little better with my iBasso D3 as a source/amp.

I feel unsure of my decision at this point because I really thought I'd like the UM3X more when I got the chance to compare them to the PFE. I guess I'll give my ears a few more days to come to a conclusion. I apologize if I have become redundant in my dilemma. I'll try to say some new things every once in a while.

hehe; dont worry, not redundant; it exemplifies the sort of trials each of us has to go through with what is a reasonably expensive hobby. I always carry an amp with me.. well 99% of the time, with the other 1% using the iphone 3G HP out. so I dont worry about IEMs in those terms. in fact I will likely end up building myself another impedence adapter to make them a little harder to drive as I find amps perform better in the higher ranges of the volume pots. mainly because in building a high end impedence adapter you are putting one high quality resistor (per channel) inline with the source; but with the volume on low there are several (usually) lesser quality resistors inline with the source.

May 30, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #774 of 4,413
That's odd. I had the opposite feeling. I felt the small comply's sounded muffled compared to the larger ones. You can try modded tri flanges and shure olives though. They should work fairly well.

May 30, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #775 of 4,413
And Communic trimmed his large Complys so they were a size between the smaller and larger Complys, and says he found perfection in sleeves for the UM3X. He took a small bit off the bottom of the Comply. I tried it today as well, with a large pair with my W3s, and it does work for the W3s too, but still doesn't sound as good as the modded tri-flange to my ears. Anyway, my point is you can make a medium size Comply with a good pair of scissors and it may be your solution too. If the larges don't work for you, you have nothing to lose.

May 30, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #777 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by TXMUSCLE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does anyone else have feedback using the UM3X with the iphone unamped through the jack?

I got iphone 1 st gen, the clarity is worse than that of d2+.I used to feel IE8 match my iphone better than D2+. I think iphone has very upfront presentation as same as UM3x, while vocal from d2+ is at least keeping some distance from singer, that mitigates closeness of UM3X.

My 2 cent

May 30, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #778 of 4,413
I got my pair yesterday and I'm pretty satisfied. My only complain is the treble.
I use the treble booster setting on my ipod. Without it some songs sound muted and lack a lot of high end energy. So what tips should I use for a little more treble presence?

May 30, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #779 of 4,413
The Sony hybrids, Shure olives and grey single flange silicone tips all seem to add some treble.

I find the Complys the worst of the bunch for treble.

May 30, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #780 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teraflame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone provide a summary of what tips worked best for them and which to avoid? I'm currently using the smaller complys, the large one makes it sound very muffled.

This varies a lot from person to person. I personally find all comply tips hurt my ears and don't provide the best SQ. The soft grey silicone tips than come with the Westone 3 (and Shure SE530) are, in my case, incredibly comfortable and provide the best SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back