Westone UM3X Thread
Apr 8, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #2,941 of 4,413
live acoustic stuff is amazing on the um3x, also the Natalie merchant live album is great with a good player too.

Apr 8, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #2,942 of 4,413
@playingwithfire & inego: thank you for sharing.

Does anyone have 10,000 Maniacs MTV Unplugged and or Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds Live At Radio City on their archives? I would love to hear how these are rendered through the UM3X.

Thanx

Apr 8, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #2,944 of 4,413
@inego: thanks for taking time. On 10,000 Maniacs MTV Unplugged... how's does she sound on What's The Matter Here? on Like The Weather... how's the percussions/drums and the strings?

As to anyone who can test how these two (10,000 Maniacs MTV Unplugged and Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds Live At Radio City) sound on the UM3X... I really would appreciate it very much... with Protector through balanced would be a huge plus too. I hope I'm not asking too much
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks again

Apr 8, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #2,946 of 4,413
what are you using as a player ?

The Radio City album is great, having a listen now on the westones, i think its the best sounding DMB live album. But i always thought they could have brought the volume up a bit on Daves guitar. Havent got 10,000 maniacs tho.

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #2,947 of 4,413
another 5 hours on and these are sounding fantastic, might be time to try them on the d10 soon

Apr 13, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #2,948 of 4,413
Just picked up a pair of 3Xs today after the cord on my SE530's failed for the second time in 2.5 years. I first used the silicone tips I was using on my SE530's then switched over to the large Comply tips; finally a foam tip that works in my ears :-D (Yes I've tried Shure's olives). "The Wall"... directly out of my late '09 Mac Book Pro was amazing, blew me away. The warm..balanced...natural sound these IEMs produce is simply something one must observe to appreciate. I see no issue with the bass on these IEMs at all....plenty plenty for me...popped in some Chili Peppers - Parallel Universe...Flea still kicked ass!! If anything I say (coming from the Shures) I like them just a touch brighter....hardly much at all....I suspect my ears will adjust. I'm going to send in my Shures with a letter hoping a technician will do the right thing and send me a replacement that I can put up for sale at a nice price to fund the portable amp purchase. Any thoughts on an amp for the 3Xs: Headstage Arrow 12HE...ALO Rx Perscription AMP BLACK & ALO OCC combo?? I typically listen to high bitrate MP3's (320 kbps) as well as some lossless audio out of my iPhone 3G when portable...mostly Classic 60-70 Rock, some Jazz, Newer Alternative/Punk.

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #2,950 of 4,413
Just got the UM3x 30 mins ago and i'm burning them in....

First impression are that the isolation is superb and the bass is tight.
But the mids and highs are not up to my expectations yet..but lets see what burn in will do to em' ^^

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #2,951 of 4,413
Well since the drivers aren't dynamic, burn in won't help, except for maybe 10 minutes after they are taken out of the box. I am not too impressed with my UM3X. I need to get some better music on my Walkman though. I have a feeling metal isn't bringing out 20% of the UM3Xs strengths
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #2,953 of 4,413
Give the Shure Black Foam Sleeves (Olives) a go. I haven't yet, as I keep forgetting to buy them and I go and buy some other stuff
tongue.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #2,954 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Give the Shure Black Foam Sleeves (Olives) a go. I haven't yet, as I keep forgetting to buy them and I go and buy some other stuff
tongue.gif

X2! The Shure black foam sleeves do wonders to isolate external noise and provide a comfortable fit.

I've experimented on many tips before landing myself the olives and haven't looked back since.

Apr 13, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #2,955 of 4,413
I still need to get myself some. Dunno if I would need the small or medium sized tips. I'd rather not spend $60 on a pack of each to find out I have to sell a pack at a big loss
frown.gif
I wish someone had a spare pair
tongue.gif
Everyone seems to like theirs too much to give (or even sell) me a pair of each
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back