Westone UM3X Thread
Feb 20, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #2,896 of 4,413
The W3 bass is very strong across the entire sound spectrum and could be overkill for trance since bass in trance is very prominent. The UM3X with trance would provide bass that is punchy yet controlled meaning that it won't veil the mids and highs like the W3 would. If you like tons of bass that splashes over into the mid and high range then get the W3. The W3 has more bass quantity while I find that the UM3X bass is more accurate and has a punchy like impact that the W3 lacks. The W3 bass to me sounds bloated and undefined compared to the UM3X.

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #2,897 of 4,413
Since this is the appropriate thread, I'll post my initial thoughts on my new UM3x's. They sound very clear and it's got great instrument separation. The music also sounds 'completer', as in certain sounds seem to be fuller and overall it just sounds a lot better than my UM1, though most of the changes in the sound are rather subtle. The only thing I don't particularly like about them is how big they are, they're almost double the size of my UM1's! After listening to them for a while I can safely say these'll become my standard IEM to use since they're obviously better than the UM1's.

Feb 21, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #2,898 of 4,413
Coming from the k702 I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with the um3x. Even though the seperation and details are satisfying, there's just something not right, I'm not comparing the soundstage of the 2 here. The mid is quite warm, or a bit boosted, but strange thing is the bass lacks a bit of air around it. I might sound funny here but the bass of my k702 is much better than the um3x, the midbass is just not right in terms of quality. Or maybe I'm not used to in-ear phones yet. Anyone here has the same feeling?

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #2,900 of 4,413
Just a quick query before I make my purchase: Would my iPod Touch 3G be robust enough to drive these phones? I recall that the maximum output of iPods is 32ohms, contrasting with the 56ohms claimed in the UM3x specifications.

Oh, and coming from a pair of SE420s, what sort of improvements should I be excited about?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #2,901 of 4,413
The UM3X's work fine (as loud as you want) from my iPod Touch 3G. Better, certainly, from a better source, but capably driven from the iPod.

Feb 24, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #2,902 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by L'Seraphic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a quick query before I make my purchase: Would my iPod Touch 3G be robust enough to drive these phones? I recall that the maximum output of iPods is 32ohms, contrasting with the 56ohms claimed in the UM3x specifications.

Oh, and coming from a pair of SE420s, what sort of improvements should I be excited about?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mine work great with my nano at 60% volume. With my touch they sound even better!

Feb 26, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #2,903 of 4,413
they sound ok out of my video, surely you wont need an amp to go with them

Mar 13, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #2,905 of 4,413
Recently I purchased Govibe Martini Headphone amp and Qables Silvercab Pro to complement my Iphone3G.

Now the Um3x has turn out to be a different sounding beast. Presenting very punchy and deep bass that matches Ultimate Ears Triple-fi and as well as gaining a treble boost that made the treble on par with the HD25-II I owned. There is a definate increase in dynamics and as well as a lowered noise floor

I felt the biggest gain came from the Qables Silvercab Pro iphone connector. It seems to have allowed for a increase in the soundstaging and dynamics.

Mar 15, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #2,907 of 4,413
just curious and I am sorry if it has been answered earlier in the thread(excuse me but I don't REALLY want to weave through 194 pages for 1 question).

Did anybody else figure out what Westone mean when they said "(UM3X is) Using the same technology as our custom ES3X"? Same drivers? same crossover? or just something really minor so they can say the 2 share some technology.

BTW: new owner since about 2 weeks ago, out of the box the soundstage bothers me to no end but I'm digging it quite a bit now, probably keeping this. It does everything besides soundstage very well.

Mar 15, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #2,908 of 4,413
i was under the impression that the es3X was the custom version of the um3x and the drivers in it were the same.

Mar 15, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #2,909 of 4,413
If that is true, I am so getting my UM3X drivers put into a custom shell
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back