Westone UM3X or Westone 4 or Shure SE535 ??
May 4, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #121 of 244
Quote:
Misconception here. Westone 4 is longer, and slimmer, which is why it would fit on an iPhone 4 with a casing easier. The UM3x is boxier and may have problems if the casing is too thick. 

lol guys... they must have the changed the cable... Because my UM3X have the smallest jack ever.  My friend... I'm using an otterbox... lol.

May 4, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #122 of 244
Quote:
That's what I thought from what few pictures I could find.  A cold is putting a damper on A/Bing the iem's I have. I'm going to jot down what I've noticed and I think in the end, I'm wondering if I should keep the 4's or if there's another iem that will give me sort of the "best of both worlds."  I'm not the OP but I'd rather not start a new thread.  IMO, the W4's mids are forward but not nearly as much as the 425's.

Shure 425 likes: isolation, soundstage height in classical music, depth of bass - upright bass and bass guitars sound very accurate, vocals - especially female classical,  instrument separation that more often than not gives a "wow" factor, all intruments sound pretty true. There are songs on the 425, especially classical, where I'm wow'd by instruments I'd never realized were there.  I plug in the 4's expecting the same and feel a little let down or like I really have to look for them where as on the 425 they just pop.

dislikes: a little too bright at times, cables are heavy and a love/hate relationship with the memory wire, the mids are a little too forward - sometimes the singer is right in my face, everything has a wide soundstage so it's not quite as recorded (to me) especially in jazz,  I fiddle a lot with the wire/earpieces, at times they are really engaging and at others flat.

Westone 4 likes: very comfortable, they do every genre pretty well, soundstage on classical.

dislikes: a little veiled/dark but not to the point of being annoying, sometimes a little flat, could be more detailed (or have more instrument separation) on classical, could have a little more bass. I honestly can't tell if there are times when I get distortion or if it's the recording but it happens more often then I'd like. There are times/songs where the bass can seem a little off/fake to me - I can't explain it.  I will do more listening - maybe it's the fluid in my ears.

I don't know where to go from here.  I tend to grab the 4's because of the comfort and running with them was a breeze.  I was still looking at the UM3X and fit alone leaves me a little leary of going to the 535's though I guess I could get a different cable. Are the stems the same between the UM3X and 4 or does the UM3X have a longer stem?  Thoughts from those who have/have had the 3 or an alternate?  Isolation is important.  Thank you :)

Now you know my bass resistance level :wink:.

Anyway, the UM3x has a slightly longer stem which provides more isolation than the W4. But the UM3x will lack the soundstage you have found on both the W4 and SE425. W3 has the exact same shell as the W4, but it's more reliable on seal. Meaning it could sound a little different if the position isn't perfect. The W3 is also more V-shaped and colored in that it will sound fun, but not as flat and neutral as both the SE425 and W4 is. 

May 5, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #130 of 244
Quote:
Yeah, I do like it too, it's just so versatile as in it fits in almost every 3.5mm jack with no issues. 

word to that brother!

May 5, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #131 of 244
Quote:
Now you know my bass resistance level :wink:.

Anyway, the UM3x has a slightly longer stem which provides more isolation than the W4. But the UM3x will lack the soundstage you have found on both the W4 and SE425. W3 has the exact same shell as the W4, but it's more reliable on seal. Meaning it could sound a little different if the position isn't perfect. The W3 is also more V-shaped and colored in that it will sound fun, but not as flat and neutral as both the SE425 and W4 is. 

I'm seriously considering the UM3X (or another Westone?).  I'm choosing Westone because as soon as I put them in, they're comfortable and I don't have to fuss. I love the cables and how they're not microphonic and I don't even notice them.  When I put the 425's (except with the tips mentioned above) I am constantly fiddling with the fit. I also think the 4's soundstage sounds more realistic than the 425.  I do hear more details on the 425's, especially in classical (nuances, if you will) and that's what I like.  I'm just missing a little bass impact.  I'm really glad I picked up with 425's (and can return them) because I would have been totally disappointed with the fit of the 535's and regardless of how they sound, if they're not comfortable it doesn't matter. 

Maybe I should buy the UM3X so I can decide and return/sell one, instead of returning the 4 for the UM3X?  The only other one I can think of is the DBA02-mkii.

May 5, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #132 of 244
Quote:
I'm seriously considering the UM3X (or another Westone?).  I'm choosing Westone because as soon as I put them in, they're comfortable and I don't have to fuss. I love the cables and how they're not microphonic and I don't even notice them.  When I put the 425's (except with the tips mentioned above) I am constantly fiddling with the fit. I also think the 4's soundstage sounds more realistic than the 425.  I do hear more details on the 425's, especially in classical (nuances, if you will) and that's what I like.  I'm just missing a little bass impact.  I'm really glad I picked up with 425's (and can return them) because I would have been totally disappointed with the fit of the 535's and regardless of how they sound, if they're not comfortable it doesn't matter. 

Maybe I should buy the UM3X so I can decide and return/sell one, instead of returning the 4 for the UM3X?  The only other one I can think of is the DBA02-mkii.

Yeah I would.  Do that.  Also... Tell me what you think when you get them.  I would advise keeping the Shure olives at least lol.  They come in handy with the 4 and um3x by increasing the audio quality.  I really do enjoy the p-series and the Shure olives.  

May 5, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #133 of 244
Quote:

It's your choice :wink:

May 5, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #134 of 244
Quote:
Yeah I would.  Do that.  Also... Tell me what you think when you get them.  I would advise keeping the Shure olives at least lol.  They come in handy with the 4 and um3x by increasing the audio quality.  I really do enjoy the p-series and the Shure olives.  

Hey - do you have the RC version or regular without the removable cable?  If you have the RC, what do you think of their memory wire?

Do you compress the olives before you put them in?  I plan to try either the olives or P-series today when I mow the lawn. 

May 5, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #135 of 244
Quote:
Quote:

Hey - do you have the RC version or regular without the removable cable?  If you have the RC, what do you think of their memory wire?

Do you compress the olives before you put them in?  I plan to try either the olives or P-series today when I mow the lawn. 

I have the non RC.  The p-series takes some SERIOUS getting used to.  If you insert it wrong, it either doesn't seal, or hurts like hell.  I like them both. Yeah you compress the olives!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back