Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Nov 4, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #3,481 of 5,568
Had my W4R's just over a week now, been giving myself time to get used to the sound compared to my Monster TPC's.
Messed about with a few different tips but the one's that works best for me are a spare set of olive's from my Shure's
Picking up subtle details in music that I missed on the Monster's. Well impressed with the Westone sound.

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #3,482 of 5,568
Quote:
Eh, don't remember. I guess I'll go for the 4R for that piece of mind in case something unfortunate happens to the cable. I was thinking of purchasing them during the Black Friday sale at Earphonesolutions, which is coming up. I read some speculations about a 30% discount. Would anybody have any other suggestions on any places to buy the 4R for cheaper?

Rick,

Some people buy it from Amazon.com but beware of some store charge you in the shipping cost.

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #3,483 of 5,568
Rick,

Some people buy it from Amazon.com but beware of some store charge you in the shipping cost.

From what I just searched up, the 4R's are still $499 from Amazon. I'd also prefer to buy them from an authorized Westone distributor. The warranty is pretty important for me. Thanks for the suggestion though, I guess I'll just wait until Cyber Monday and see what happens.

Nov 5, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #3,485 of 5,568
TIP UPDATE:

So I took a set of P-100 complys and cut off the foam where all that is left is the inner stem with foam residue on it.  I trimmed the stem down about 1/8".  Put stem on W4.

Then I took a stock TF10 bi-flange and stuck it over the stem.  WOW!  MASSIVE soundstage, cohesive sounding, balanced....This is definitely the best thing I have come across until Westone releases their new silicone tips.  The bi-flange comes off kind of easy though...gotta be careful but I am afraid to use any glue at all.  Worth a shot if anyone has those tips laying around. 

Nov 5, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #3,486 of 5,568
Quote:
TIP UPDATE:

So I took a set of P-100 complys and cut off the foam where all that is left is the inner stem with foam residue on it.  I trimmed the stem down about 1/8".  Put stem on W4.

Then I took a stock TF10 bi-flange and stuck it over the stem.  WOW!  MASSIVE soundstage, cohesive sounding, balanced....This is definitely the best thing I have come across until Westone releases their new silicone tips.  The bi-flange comes off kind of easy though...gotta be careful but I am afraid to use any glue at all.  Worth a shot if anyone has those tips laying around. 

The hard stems make all the difference. Don't try to superglue the tips onto the stems though...bad experiences on that front. I would leave some foam or trim some foam off to put between the inside of the tip and the stem to fill out the space.

Nov 5, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #3,487 of 5,568
Twin qy, you gotta order a couple of those 2 dollar tips from "buy in coins". 2 dollars shipped for 4.

I have been using them ever since with the adapters...

On that note, OH MY, I am listening to "killer is me" from alice in chains MTV unplugged.... One of the downfall of the W4's you realize the singer can't hold a note for his life and PLEASE TUNE YOUR GUITAR MAN!....... eeeeewwww... bad one.

Nov 5, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #3,488 of 5,568
Quote:
Twin qy, you gotta order a couple of those 2 dollar tips from "buy in coins". 2 dollars shipped for 4.
I have been using them ever since with the adapters...
On that note, OH MY, I am listening to "killer is me" from alice in chains MTV unplugged.... One of the downfall of the W4's you realize the singer can't hold a note for his life and PLEASE TUNE YOUR GUITAR MAN!....... eeeeewwww... bad one.

Do you mean the Bi-flanges? They do look good. Way cheaper than the MEElectronics, that's for sure.

Never knew why people kept on using that Unplugged Alice in chains album as a benchmark on this site. Completely agree that it sounds quite poor. Refreshingly, the W4s do dark, moody drone metal and shoegaze really well. Which is something a lot of other phones lack, even Grados at times.

Nov 5, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #3,489 of 5,568
Do you mean the Bi-flanges? They do look good. Way cheaper than the MEElectronics, that's for sure.

Never knew why people kept on using that Unplugged Alice in chains album as a benchmark on this site. Completely agree that it sounds quite poor. Refreshingly, the W4s do dark, moody drone metal and shoegaze really well. Which is something a lot of other phones lack, even Grados at times.

Yea in contrast to that it has now shuffled to Eric Clapton's Unplugged session which is just beautiful on these IEM's.... Malted Milk. Yea on that Alice In Chains it sounds like he tuned his guitar wearing a catchers mit!!! :)

yea I am talking about those biflange ones... I ordered a bunch of black and a bunch of white. I put the white ones on the right channel and the black on left. Just no fiddling around when pulling them out of the case......

Nov 5, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #3,490 of 5,568
Quote:
Yea in contrast to that it has now shuffled to Eric Clapton's Unplugged session which is just beautiful on these IEM's.... Malted Milk. Yea on that Alice In Chains it sounds like he tuned his guitar wearing a catchers mit!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

yea I am talking about those biflange ones... I ordered a bunch of black and a bunch of white. I put the white ones on the right channel and the black on left. Just no fiddling around when pulling them out of the case......

Put on some Alberta for us Canadians here! And maybe later switch to Lake of Fire or Polly on Nirvana's MTV Unplugged. Mmh, really shows off the mids on these babies.

I would never remember whether the white or the black would be right or left, lol. Just ordered the biflanges, $1.98 never hurts anyone, hell I paid more for coffee this morning. Though that is $2 off my secret fund for the UM56...

Nov 5, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #3,493 of 5,568
Everything's faster in Canada :wink_face:
Though, do you know where they're located/where they ship out from?

Office address: 7/F, Ruier Tower, 333 Zhangye Road, Shanghai, 201803, P.R. China
Return address: Room 908, Apartment A, Haifa Tower, 393 Jihua Road, Shenzhen, Guangdong, 518048, P.R.China

Hope that was fast enough for ya :wink:

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #3,495 of 5,568
Oh no, I may be stepping into the PFE232 camp 
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back