Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Oct 31, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #3,466 of 5,568
Quote:
I personally don't have anything against people who are "believers" in nicer cables. I recabled a pair of my headphones myself just for fun and I felt I noticed a difference for the better.
I just don't like to see people saying it makes a "huge difference" because it does not. Lots of things can make a huge difference. Different source, different file, different amp, even changing pads on a set of cans make remarkable changes... but changing the cable is not "huge" or else it would be scientifically shown and measured and the discussion would have been long over.
But if it improves it to you, I believe it and honestly I really want to hear it for myself one of these days. However there are a lot of upgrades one could and should try that will affect the sound a lot more than switching the wires.

I agree with both you and Milarepa.
Source can make a big(er) difference than the wire... but to me putting a silver wire on my W4Rs made them sound noticeably different. What it comes down to is price VS improvement. For $100ish I was willing to try the Chris_Himself cables on my JH16. It made enough of a difference on my JH that I tried it with my W4R. However, I wouldn't want to pay the same price for a cable that I did for my headphones..! (or even 50% of the price..)

I guess what it comes down to is how badly you want to 'wring' every bit of oomph out of your W4(r)s. Upgrading the source/player is the biggest step, but after that... it comes down to how much you want to spend. If you are curious about if it's worth it, I do totally recommend getting a Chris_Himself silver wire. You have to be careful not to kink it, but for the price it's a great test to see if it'll make a difference to you or not. And in the end, it comes down to what sounds best to you.

Nov 1, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #3,468 of 5,568
How's everybody's experience with the W4's going? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #3,470 of 5,568
Terrific.  Best universal I ever owned and equal to my JH13 in enjoyment.

What tips you guys using?

I been using the supplied grey flex tips today with great success.  Never gave them a shot because they sounded "off" and even siblant with W3 but it seems totally different with W4.  No siblance, no veil, sounds open and bass is plentiful.  The relatively small exit hole doesn't seem to impede or stifle any sound when compared with the larger hole harder clear tip or olive or comply.  Amazing!

Nov 1, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #3,471 of 5,568
Quote:

I been using the supplied grey flex tips today with great success.  Never gave them a shot because they sounded "off" and even siblant with W3 but it seems totally different with W4.  No siblance, no veil, sounds open and bass is plentiful.  The relatively small exit hole doesn't seem to impede or stifle any sound when compared with the larger hole harder clear tip or olive or comply.  Amazing!

Hybrids w/ comply/olive cores as adapters. Put a small olive inside the silicone of the Hybrids, and it just brings it a whole new level. The new tips that are supposed to be included look promising as well. I like the Earsonic biflanges when I need a deeper fit without losing much SQ.

Nov 2, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #3,472 of 5,568
Quote:

I'm using Comply Foam Black Tx-100 with ear wax guard from Amazon.com :)
sounds the same thing to me compared with the stock grey tips.

Quote:
Hybrids w/ comply/olive cores as adapters. Put a small olive inside the silicone of the Hybrids, and it just brings it a whole new level. The new tips that are supposed to be included look promising as well. I like the Earsonic biflanges when I need a deeper fit without losing much SQ.

wow, how and where can we order that tips from ? I've never seen it before.

Nov 2, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #3,474 of 5,568
Okay random but I realized Ive been wondering about this since i first posted in this thread.....

The title of this thread "Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?)"

Why the aka? That's like saying "Hi my name is Doc. A.k.a Doc." Isn't it? Something I am missing here?

Nov 2, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #3,475 of 5,568
Quote:
Okay random but I realized Ive been wondering about this since i first posted in this thread.....
The title of this thread "Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?)"
Why the aka? That's like saying "Hi my name is Doc. A.k.a Doc." Isn't it? Something I am missing here?

The original title was "Westone 4?". That was when a photo of the W4s had just leaked. The thread had gone on for quite a while until it was confirmed and the title was changed to the appreciation thread.

Nov 2, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #3,476 of 5,568
The original title was "Westone 4?". That was when a photo of the W4s had just leaked. The thread had gone on for quite a while until it was confirmed and the title was changed to the appreciation thread.

Ahhh.. Now i get it. Mystery solved. Tks i can sleep now.

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #3,477 of 5,568
I found 3 tips that bring best SQ of w4r 1- white silicone (they come with w4r) 2-shure olives (you must buy them yourself) 3-sony hybrid with the olive's core ( as an adapter) ( thanks guys for recommending this)

Nov 3, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #3,478 of 5,568
I remember reading somewhere that the Westone 4R has a slightly different sound signature than the older Westone 4, is this true? Would it be worth buying the 4R over the regular 4? Sorry if this question has been answered numerous times already.

Nov 4, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #3,480 of 5,568
Eh, don't remember. I guess I'll go for the 4R for that piece of mind in case something unfortunate happens to the cable. I was thinking of purchasing them during the Black Friday sale at Earphonesolutions, which is coming up. I read some speculations about a 30% discount. Would anybody have any other suggestions on any places to buy the 4R for cheaper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back