Westone 3 - You asked for it, we listened !
Feb 2, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #271 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HI and thanks for introducing the new iem ! I'm very interested ..
..how would you describe the character for the sound that's coming out of them , compared to other well known iem ..?
..if you want take into consideration that generally speaking I've been used to read "power and warm" character for the e500 and more cold - detail character for the ue10 pro ..
thanks in advance for answering

boodi, i know the thread is getting long but if you scan through it you'll find a handful of posts that address your questions, and can ignore the vast majority that don't.

Feb 2, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #272 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
boodi, i know the thread is getting long but if you scan through it you'll find a handful of posts that address your questions, and can ignore the vast majority that don't.

i will , sorry but I have very short time to lock up on head-fi lately ;p I'll find some time though for the new westone's

Feb 2, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #273 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for isolation, most universals of this type (E500, E5, UM2, 3) are going to give you an average of 20-25dB using a foam tip. This can increase a few dB when using a triflange or custom tip.

Thanks. I'm hoping someone w/ an E500 can compare. 5dB (25-20) is 2.5 times difference in loudness if it's dBA :wink:
The triple.fi is known to isolate worse than the E500 which is why I ask. I thought they would be all the similar...

Looking forward to pics as well (please include pics inside a human head instead of just standalone pics :)

Feb 3, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #274 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by kenyee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. I'm hoping someone w/ an E500 can compare. 5dB (25-20) is 2.5 times difference in loudness if it's dBA :wink:
The triple.fi is known to isolate worse than the E500 which is why I ask. I thought they would be all the similar...

Looking forward to pics as well (please include pics inside a human head instead of just standalone pics :)

The E500 with the new Black Olive Foam ear tips do indeed isolate better than the Triple.fi. The density of the new foam has a lot to do with that, even though the UE silicone tips get a great seal.

How large are the stems for the Westone 3? Will they fit Shure and Etymotic ear tips?

-Ed

Feb 3, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #275 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The E500 with the new Black Olive Foam ear tips do indeed isolate better than the Triple.fi. The density of the new foam has a lot to do with that, even though the UE silicone tips get a great seal.

How large are the stems for the Westone 3? Will they fit Shure and Etymotic ear tips?

-Ed

so far of all the iems that i've tried, the er4p have the best isolation especially with the foam tips. i'm looking forward to the 3s if they really do have the highs of the etys with stronger mids and bass. i'm a bit disappointed with the rolled off highs of the e500 and the lack of bass on the er4p. hopefully this will be the best of both worlds.

Feb 3, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #276 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

-Ed

From what's been mentioned on here, they are using the same tips that the UM series has been using. That means, all the Ety (er-4, and er-6i) tips, Shure tips (e3-5(00)), as well as whatever tips they shipping with. I know my UM1s came with both long and short comply tips. Plus if you've got UM56 custom tips, thats yet another choice. With those options, you should be able to find a comfy fit.

-Jeff

Feb 3, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #277 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Doug, thanks for letting us check out the 3 yesterday. It certainly is a great sounding product, and I'd have to have a long and hard comparison with the Shure E500 to figure out which one I prefer (I like both more than the UE Triple-fi). Just to publicly restate a bit of what we discussed, I though the highlights of the 3 were the amount of texture and detail in the bass, without losing an impactful and dynamic presentation; and the midrange which was ever-so-slightly upfront, making for an engaging listen. I look forward to the eventual release of the 3 to see how it does. My preference for color would probably be gunmetal.

Also, Doug, I think you do a great job representing Westone, and you were a real pleasure to meet and converse with. Westone should be proud to have you as part of their team.

Yes, thanks very much Doug! It was a pleasure meeting with you. The new 3 sounds great. I'm very interested to give them a more extended listen, but what I heard briefly was very nice. Congrats on the new product!

Feb 5, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #278 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
er4p have the best isolation especially with the foam tips

I haven't head the er4p yet, but I'm happy w/ the isolation of the Shure E4c's w/ the yellow foamies and comply tips. The new black shure foamies are probably similar.

I'm looking for a comparison of the Westone 3 using foamies w/ other IEMs using foamies (to keep the comparison similar)...

Feb 6, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #279 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 3 is a completely different beast than the UM2, IMO. if you like the UM2, i don't know if you'll like the 3 since they sound so different. the 3 doesn't have nearly the bloated bass the UM2 has...but a sweet sweet midrange and nice treble as well - definitely to my liking.

i don't view the 3 as a linear "upgrade" from the UM2, rather a universal version of the ES2, which has been mentioned in this thread. things look real good for the 3, imo. i think it will be a fantastic product.

Im not so much into the um2 anymore , i liked them first , but now little things start to annoy me... From what i´ve read so far the Westone 3 really seem to shine where the um2 is annoying for me... I dont want a "direct" upgrade but i want some westone characteristics... So i hope i´ll get the full package , but we´ll c that on the first final reviews...

Feb 7, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #280 of 2,524
I think if these are priced at $350, they will sell a lot of units very quickly once released (especially to head-fi members).. At $400, I would personally wait until they go for sale on the forums. If they are solid performers, many people here will want to keep theirs and the positive feedback will generate more sales for Westone.

The UM1/2 seem to hold their value very well compared to other IEMs. For example, the Shure E4 vs Westone UM2 & Shure E2 vs Westone UM1.. Both sets retail the same, but the Westones hold their value alot better.

I am just wondering, why does the Westone 3 have a different signature than the UM2s? I hppe it stays more warm rather than detailed like the E500s. This is the main reason I like the Westone lineup.

Feb 7, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #281 of 2,524
Quote:

I am just wondering, why does the Westone 3 have a different signature than the UM2s? I hppe it stays more warm rather than detailed like the E500s. This is the main reason I like the Westone lineup.

It has a different signature because it was designed for personal listening. It's still warm and has the Westone signature to it. It's just more detailed and performs better out of a personal listening device.

Feb 7, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #282 of 2,524
No, please please please go with the detailed sound signature instead
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not entirely sold on my triple.fi phones because of the lack of isolation (I miss my Comply's, dammit!) and slight recession in the upper mids. Am still debating whether I'd rather take the recessed bass on the ER-4P with the better isolation or the recessed mids of the triple.fi. From the sound of things, it sounds like the Westone 3 will be just right...

Feb 8, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #283 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has a different signature because it was designed for personal listening.

What was the UM2 designed for, if not personal listening?

Feb 8, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #284 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What was the UM2 designed for, if not personal listening?

Stage monitoring?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back