Westone 3 - You asked for it, we listened !
Jan 23, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #211 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trying to weed through all of the threads, I didn't see the info.. but,

Are you saying it's not worth it to purchase the ES2's with the new 3 coming out? I understand the ES2s offer better isolation, but if the SQ is near or better, what would be the point in purchasing the customs? Also, does this mean the ES2s are going to be phased out? The ES3s would be the other alternative, but from what I read they're not geared towards everyday listening. (?)

Sounds like you're heading in the same direction I'm going. I've been planning on getting ES2s for a while now. It has already been mentioned that there will be a full custom version of the new 3 after the release of the universal version. I'm going to hold off and wait for more reports of the new 3 to trickle in before pulling the trigger on full customs. The new phones sound like it could be a whole new direction, and worth the wait.

-Jeff

Jan 23, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #212 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like you're heading in the same direction I'm going. I've been planning on getting ES2s for a while now. It has already been mentioned that there will be a full custom version of the new 3 after the release of the universal version. I'm going to hold off and wait for more reports of the new 3 to trickle in before pulling the trigger on full customs. The new phones sound like it could be a whole new direction, and worth the wait.
-Jeff

reports are interesting but since it's your ears that count perhaps you might want to purchase the 3s and see how you like them. if they float your boat and you still want a custom version i'm sure you'll have no problem selling them here. in fact if you do end up doing that contact me just in case i don't already have a set!
icon10.gif

Jan 23, 2007 at 8:56 AM Post #213 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was my pleasure to meet all of you too. I'm hoping to get to the National Meet as well. Your feedback on the "3" in invaluable and we thank you all for your honest feedback on the sound quality. We are still finalizing accessories and colors so I will be passing this along to the team.

p0wderh0und, how about bringing some of these along to the upcoming ny meet. [ http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=213821 ] and don't forget the biflanges.
cool.gif

Jan 23, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #214 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
reports are interesting but since it's your ears that count perhpas you might want to purchase the 3s and see how you like them. if they float your boat and you still want a custom version i'm sure you'll have no problem selling them here. in fact if you do end up doing that contact me just in case i don't already have a set!
icon10.gif

That's exactly what I'm doing. I was close to pulling the trigger on the ES-2's and then heard about the 3's and ordered a pair. If I really like them, I'll sell them and order the customs. Someone will get a basically brand new pair of 3's at a pretty good price if they're as good as I think they'll be...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 23, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #215 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the 3's designed to compete against UE-10's? Just wondering what it will compare too sound sig wise in the UE line?

I did a brief comparison to my ue10 and preferred the Westone 3. They were just about on the same level but the Westone suited my taste as a Grado fan. They had clearer mids than the ue10 and seemed to perform better on rock music. The ue10 is more neutral and might of had a little bit more detail in the bass but lacked the bass punch of the Westone that makes rock music rock.

As I said before, the Westone 3 was much closer in sound to the ue10 than ue's own triple-fi 10 pro. That was definitely a step below in overall sound quality sounded a bit thin and slightly cold sounding compared to the ue10 and Westone 3.

In the end, even though I slightly preferred the Westone 3, the ue10 more than serves my needs and the Westone 3 wasn't a big enough difference to give up the custom fit or more of my money. For people currently with other universal iems, at least they can sell them to help cover the cost.

Jan 23, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #216 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trying to weed through all of the threads, I didn't see the info.. but,

Are you saying it's not worth it to purchase the ES2's with the new 3 coming out? I understand the ES2s offer better isolation, but if the SQ is near or better, what would be the point in purchasing the customs? Also, does this mean the ES2s are going to be phased out? The ES3s would be the other alternative, but from what I read they're not geared towards everyday listening. (?)

The ES are not going to be phased out. They are going to stick with the emphesis on the pro-music market. The ES's offer FAR batter comfort and isloation. The 3 will be the current offering. We are all talking about a custom for the 3, but we are not there yet. I would say summer IF we decide to release one. That is not a final date, just an idea. As for the SQ, the 3 has better highs than the ES2, the ES2 has better lows (due to isolation). They are both good, it comes down to what sound do you like. That should dictate what you get.

Jan 23, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #218 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamoneagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did a brief comparison to my ue10 and preferred the Westone 3. They were just about on the same level but the Westone suited my taste as a Grado fan. They had clearer mids than the ue10 and seemed to perform better on rock music. The ue10 is more neutral and might of had a little bit more detail in the bass but lacked the bass punch of the Westone that makes rock music rock.

damn if the Westone 3 are going to be good for rock i might have to wait ;P
i'm still undecided between the triple fi.(which are my least favorite from what i've seen of them as they stick out of the ear ,though i do like the color ^^) and a Shure E500 which is currently my favorite in terms of looks and with the PTH is really a useful combo . i got to know which one has the best sound ,especially for rock , if i'm going to spend more on headphones than on an mp3 player ,it better be damn perfect :p (not to mention i'll be using it at home as well so it'll be my main and only headphones)

Jan 24, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #220 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Flashy colors don't say "quality" to me.

Or more importantly, flashy colors say "steal me" :p

If anyone does audition them, can you take a pic of yourself w/ the headphones in? I'm trying to get an idea of:
1) how much they stick out compared to the Shure E500 (the Triple.fi sticks out way too much IMHO)
2) how well it isolates you from external noises for those of us that use these on public transportation and airplanes as ear plugs w/ music :)

Jan 24, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #221 of 2,524
1) how much they stick out compared to the Shure E500 (the Triple.fi sticks out way too much IMHO) I only tried e500 once but the Westone 3 prototype did not really stick out, it had a flat surface to be somewhat flush with the ear. It sticks out more than my ue10 but it was nothing like the triple-fi's or etys that just jets out like you have a pencil in your ear.
2) how well it isolates you from external noises for those of us that use these on public transportation and airplanes as ear plugs w/ music :)They had the little yellow spongy tips like the shure uses and seemed to isolate fairly well. I thought the triple-fi was the worse. I used a rubber tip and the barrel just seemed too big.

Jan 25, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #222 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ES are not going to be phased out. They are going to stick with the emphesis on the pro-music market. The ES's offer FAR batter comfort and isloation. The 3 will be the current offering. We are all talking about a custom for the 3, but we are not there yet. I would say summer IF we decide to release one. That is not a final date, just an idea. As for the SQ, the 3 has better highs than the ES2, the ES2 has better lows (due to isolation). They are both good, it comes down to what sound do you like. That should dictate what you get.

Could you compare the high, mid, and low of ES3 and the custom of the Westone 3? Thanks.

Jan 25, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #223 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyabc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you compare the high, mid, and low of ES3 and the custom of the Westone 3? Thanks.

I'd love to, but we have not made one yet. :) Yeah I know, crazy huh ?

Once we make one and I can give it an honest listen I'll be more than happy to give that impression. Now based upon the way we built the 3 it will have a much smoother over all sound. The ES3 will have a 2-4dB bump in the 3-5k range. So if you like a very mid-range heavy sound, then the ES3 might be a good match for your tastes.

Jan 26, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #224 of 2,524
another vote for clears on the Weston 3's!!!

My UM2's kinda just "broke"...the right side is significantly softer than the left, I know it's not my mp3 player or a connection issue...i tried using the wax-loop cleaner to no avail :S so i emailed westone@westone.com and i'll see what my options are....*sobs*

Jan 26, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #225 of 2,524
The ES3 sound like a massive success already
wink.gif
Based on descriptions of the sound, it looks to be the sound signature I'm after + low profile... Gosh. Can't wait for it come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back