Well, I promised my self I wouldn't ask about amps yet, but...
Nov 12, 2002 at 4:13 AM Post #46 of 61
No problem. At least these headphone outputs aren't lethal. While in the Navy I met a guy who was in electronics school and had a bad lead on his oscilloscope. While reading the output power of a radar system it arced thru the crack in the lead into his hand and threw him about 6 feet across the room! Needless to say he was never the same after that, he was a little "off" when you talked to him.

Lord Bless

Nov 12, 2002 at 4:42 AM Post #47 of 61
DarkWolf,
After you buy your amp, why not do yourself a favor and buy 4 or 5 of your favorite mp3's in CD form (separate albums) that have been re-mastered after '98??

Play these back in your new system and let us all know how you think they compare to the mp3 versions (with or without your new amp)? I think this would be an illuminating test. What do you say?

Mark

Nov 12, 2002 at 4:50 AM Post #48 of 61
Hey Markl, no need to pick on someone because they don't see your side of things.

Or is it because of your profile, or number of posts that you can do this?

If you could find a mirror big enough to encompass your head, why don't you go admire yourself with it?

Go troll someone elses' thread, Big boy.
biggrin.gif

And Yes I saw the "Kelly's offspring" remark before you removed it.

Nov 12, 2002 at 5:13 AM Post #49 of 61
williamgoody,
I don't think it's a completely outrageous position to suggest to DW that he consider upgrading his source material over his headamp. I still think he'll get more bang for his buck by upgrading his source material of his favorite MP3's to their recently re-mastered CD versions over a $300 headamp.

That's my honest opinion, and I think a reasonable one..

As for DW's apparent resemblance to kelly-- fine, yes, I originally posted a comment to that effect but removed it. Yes, I thought better of it, because I'm tired of fighting with kelly. I have no reason to want to piss him off, even if I bear him no ill-will.

Yeah, I removed kelly's picture. I'm out. See ya!!

Nov 12, 2002 at 5:33 AM Post #50 of 61
Well I'll be damned, this guy COULD be my dad. Actually, I don't know who my dad is, so this really is quite ammusing..
Anyway, I belive that I stated that I saw where Mark was comming from and agreed with him but also pointed out that I was sort of in the "mode" for buying equipment. But yes, I will begin buying CDs soon after I have my rig in place. As it stands now, CDs don't give enough boost over good MP3s (don't get me sarted on bad MP3, I know how bad it gets) to warrent the cost given my budget up untill a few weeks ago when I began working. I certanly will be buying CDs before going for a Corda Blue upgrade, assuming I end up with a corda, which seems likely at this point.

BTW, what happened in '98 that I should look for it as a date of when hings were mastered?

And once again, I'm glad peolpe take such a keen interest in helping us newbies make good buys, it makes me feel kinda warm inside. (Thouh it might just be the Nyquil, I haven't quite gotten over this cold yet.)

Nov 12, 2002 at 5:39 AM Post #51 of 61
A agree that we will not all agree on every subject, but we should watch out for becoming emotionally attached to our posts and opinions!! It deteriorates things into name calling and such, and is beneath the dignity of the users and other readers of this forum that has been so helpful to so many!! State your peace, back your belief, and then let it go. Our job is not to convince but to inform!! It's nothing personal when someone doesn't listen to us or take our advice.

I am not referring to anyone in particular by saying this, just letting you know what I have learned in the years of being alive. As soon as personal feelings or emotional attachment comes into the picture I just drop the subject or stop it at that point. You can argue about facts, but emotions don't have any logic to them.

Again, just my .02 worth.
biggrin.gif

Lord Bless

Nov 12, 2002 at 5:41 AM Post #52 of 61
*whew* Thanks DW for being a sport. Again, I didn't mean anything and ultimately decided to say nothing, but I was "caught".
rolleyes.gif

As for the magic number of '98, that's just my arbitrary year for re-mastered CDs that sound demonstrably better than original issues. In some cases, CDs as old as '95 can sound much, much better than the original issues. 1998 is just a relatively "safe" cut-off.

Mark

Nov 12, 2002 at 12:53 PM Post #53 of 61
Markl, Like I said earlier, I apreciate your opinions just like anyone else, we all could learn a lot from each other. But I saw your post with the Kelly comment, which gave it a totally new flavor, hence my response. I'm sure you can understand that.

Nov 12, 2002 at 1:10 PM Post #54 of 61
Quote:

Well I'll be damned, this guy COULD be my dad.

Oooh, kelly. That's got to hurt! Feel old yet?

biggrin.gif

Nov 12, 2002 at 11:32 PM Post #55 of 61
No problem mark, I'm pretty hard to piss off. Is there anything in particular I should look for on a CD to tell if it's well mastered, or is it just luck of the draw and post '98 CDs tend to be good. Since you have a fairly specific arbitrary year, I'm assuming something changed...?

Quote:

Originally posted by markl
*whew* Thanks DW for being a sport. Again, I didn't mean anything and ultimately decided to say nothing, but I was "caught".
rolleyes.gif

As for the magic number of '98, that's just my arbitrary year for re-mastered CDs that sound demonstrably better than original issues. In some cases, CDs as old as '95 can sound much, much better than the original issues. 1998 is just a relatively "safe" cut-off.

Mark

Nov 13, 2002 at 12:11 AM Post #56 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkWolf
No problem mark, I'm pretty hard to piss off. Is there anything in particular I should look for on a CD to tell if it's well mastered, or is it just luck of the draw and post '98 CDs tend to be good. Since you have a fairly specific arbitrary year, I'm assuming something changed...?

DarkWolf,

I think the key is to find music released before '98, with a re-matering done '98 or later! Re-read MarkL's post and you'll see he stated re-mastered after '98. Easy to miss. I tried to seel a guy some cables because I thought he was looking for the ones I owned, but was totally wrong!!! Boy did I feel dumb!!
eek.gif

Nov 13, 2002 at 12:51 AM Post #58 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
DW, they'll say "re-mastered" on the front and on the back of the cd.
wink.gif
just like dvd's.
biggrin.gif

INtended for DW, but thanks anyway WalliJohn!! I was wondering how to tell myself as I didn't know how to tell the difference.

Nov 13, 2002 at 2:09 AM Post #59 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
DW, they'll say "re-mastered" on the front and on the back of the cd.
wink.gif
just like dvd's.
biggrin.gif

I guess that makes sence, if they were re-mastered it must have meant they thought they could make an imnprovement. Thanks for the info.

Another thing I meant to ask is what's SACD? I read a post where someone mentioned it, but I'm not sure what it is.

Nov 13, 2002 at 2:25 AM Post #60 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkWolf
Another thing I meant to ask is what's SACD? I read a post where someone mentioned it, but I'm not sure what it is.

DarkWolf, regarding SACD, check the following link for some introductory info.

Sony - Super Audio CD:
http://interprod5.imgusa.com/son-403/format.asp

TravelLite

Users who are viewing this thread

Back