Well, I promised my self I wouldn't ask about amps yet, but...
Nov 11, 2002 at 6:49 AM Post #31 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
I have never heard one, but based on the comments of those who have, and Dr. Meier's reputation......no, it's a good investment.

.....then you'll be shipping it off to KurtW for his Blue mod. We are truly sorry about your wallet.
very_evil_smiley.gif

*sniff* and now I truley feel a member, with this post I cross the 100 post mile-stone and acknowledge my first "sorry for your wallet" greeting. I guess there is no turning back now, I just hope I come through on the other side with some good audio eqipment and enough sence left to save up for a real car... Maybe it's just that I'm ill and it's past my bed time and i took a dose and a half of Nyquil, but right now, i really love all you guys!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2002 at 7:06 AM Post #32 of 61
Decisions, decisions, decisions: decent car vs. decent sound!! Well, at least you'll know which way we'll push from this end!!
biggrin.gif
A car is merely the means to take you to the store to buy more audio gear.....a job is merely the means to provide money to spend on more audio gear.....and the house is the place to store it!!!!

Did you happen to see Hirsch's byline? Something to the effect of " I made to 1800 posts without buying a META!" I got quite the chuckle out of that one!

Nov 11, 2002 at 2:27 PM Post #33 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkWolf
But does the little meta 42 really go toe to toe with headroom's offerings up to $800? If it does I just lost a lot of respect for headroom, but I suspect it's not quite that bad.

Yeah, I wouldn't be so quick to accept everybody elses sonic judgements. You might have different tastes from theirs.

Nov 11, 2002 at 2:53 PM Post #34 of 61
Quote:

...does the little meta 42 really go toe to toe with headroom's offerings up to $800? If it does I just lost a lot of respect for headroom, but I suspect it's not quite that bad.

One thing you have to realize, the Meta42 is a DIY amp. If you get one built by one of the guys here you have to remember that they are doing it out of their home as a sideline. Headroom is an established company with overhead, bills, employees, etc.. to pay each month. Not to mention the support that Tyll and the gang give to the the community. The World of Headphones tour is a good example of this. I would expect any DIY amp built by one of the guys here to go head to head with any commercially available amp at least twice it's cost, it's just simple economics.

kelly once explained this much more eloquently and in better detail than I just did so do a search if you still have any questions.

Nov 11, 2002 at 3:03 PM Post #35 of 61
Thanks for the info. I see the logic to the ecconomics now. I'll search for more info on the Corda Blue.

Nov 11, 2002 at 3:04 PM Post #36 of 61
Quote:

I think that's the best use of your cash. Get an amp later when you have material and a source that will benefit from one.

Markl., I appreciate your opinion, but you have this generally annoying habit of generalizing. MP3's can definitely benefit from an amp. Perhaps not to the degree of a Cd player, but nonetheless there is a great benefit, depending on the source of the MP3's. I amp my Mp3's using a Nomad Jukebox 3 with fantastic results.

Darkwolf I have both a Meta 42 and a Cosmic. And I agree, both have their advantages. The big variable here is what parts the Meta is equpped with. Having said that I can say I do enjoy my Cosmic just as much, if not more as for me there is a richness in the music, specifically in the midrange, with my setup that my Meta doesn't have, not to mention crossfeed. But inmy mind depending on the parts, the Meta does goe toe to toe with the Cosmic.

Nov 11, 2002 at 3:30 PM Post #37 of 61
HEY BILL How are you. Nice to see your post. Bill you said the Meta does goes toe to toe with the Cosmic. BILL that ant a Max Out META42 is it? If not look at this even a not Max Out META42 competes with a cosmic. LOL. HAPPY VETS day BILL.
BILL when we meet I have a few toys for you to try. the ATH-A100ti can, A mini 1-9 volt batt amp, A Max Out META42, and a ATH-EM7 earphone. BILL I think that with your er-4p the mini amp will really impress you. It is so small just the way you like your portable stuff.

Nov 11, 2002 at 3:53 PM Post #38 of 61
Thanks for the input william, i sort of suspected as much. I'm having a hell of a time finding info on the corda blue, google just isn't providing today. I'd like to know more about the upgrade paths for the HA-1...

Edit* never mind... I just read kelly's review of the corda and corda blue. I sould have done that before going to google. Looks good, I think this amp might be right for me. Kelly says he thinks the Corda Blue is the best totable amp out there and that sounds good for me. I was a little disapointed to find out that it has mini jacks instead of 1/4" though. I wonder if there is a way to put 1/4" jacks on it? That would be nice.

Nov 11, 2002 at 6:47 PM Post #39 of 61
Hi, Guys, Thanks for the kind words.

That's my experience with the two anyway. Don't forget though, I do see the value of both. The Cosmic to me again adds a certain richness and musical benevolece to the sound that I don't find in the Meta, but the Meta is right there with it as far as sonics and the ability to drive phones. Both to me ae definitely worthy of the prices they sell for. Face it there is no getting past the build quality of the Cosmic, nor the support or versatility.. As for the Meta, the fact that you could have it "tailored" to your setup can be invaluable.

Nov 11, 2002 at 9:03 PM Post #40 of 61
From all that I have seen and read, DarkWolf would be best served by something he can tailor to his sonic tastes!! If he buys something that is fixed and he doesn't like the sound he might not be able to afford selling it at a loss and buying something else to replace it with. The ability to upgrade/swap components is a huge plus in this industry, especially for those who are monetarily challenged. (ME included) For just a few dollars he could replace some op amps and tweak the sound to his hearts desire. There is plenty of info here on this site about the different op amps available and what their sonic characteristics are. Plus, if he can get a blue upgrade at some point in the future when he can afford it, he also has that option. To me options win over a fixed rig.

My .02 worth.

Lord Bless

Nov 11, 2002 at 10:46 PM Post #41 of 61
Exelent, it seems I'm pretty well in line with what expereinced people would do in my situation. Give or take a few people named mark, but a devile's advocate is a good thing. (Not that I'm suggesting that mark is league with the devile, of course.
evil_smiley.gif
) His points are valid and the moment I get my headphone system up and running I'm sure I'm gonna be crying (figuratively) for a better source, but at least I'll know that when I get it, I won't feel gipped for my effort. Well, we can hope anyway, but I trust the people here not to spend so much money on absolutely nothing!
smily_headphones1.gif

Now I think the hard part is waiting a few weeks to get things in order before I buy more new toys. Perhaps the last question I'll ask for the time being is weather or not there is a good (at least reasonably scientific) way of figuring out what any given headphone jack is capable of. Would simply finding a way to measure power output give me a good idea of how badly I'll need an amp or not? I know my current headphones are crappy compair to a real set that would be recomended here, and they are surely measnt for portables since i got them at radio shack, but I can't seem to tell any difference at all between the output on my sound card, DMX 6-Fire, and my speakers, Klipsch PM 4.1. (Don't laugh too hard at me, for the money (and with the new cables) they sound pretty darn good in my small room for their price point, as far as speakers go, which is one reason I'm looking to get into headphones.) Perhaps the sound card is ever so slightly cleaner since there is less between it and the headphones. I also suspect that my speakers have a better jack than what you normaly find on computer speakers. (Not saying to much, I know.) Thanks again everyone.

Nov 11, 2002 at 11:08 PM Post #42 of 61
DarkWolf,

Another thing to consider is that if you buy a good headphone amp, when you upgrade to a better source, your sound will just improve right along with it.

Most headphone output ratings are given in the owner's manual. If you have no owners manual and you need to get an idea of true power output is in your system, you must have at least two of the following figures: P=IE Power is equal to current times voltage. Also, I=E/R current is equal to voltage divided by resistance. To figure out the current output in your rig just take the voltage reading from either the left or right channel, while at max volume, of the headphone jack to the ground of the jack, then take that voltage figure and divide it by the resistance of your particular headphones. Then take that new figue of current and multiply it by the original voltage reading you took and voila, you have measured the power output of your headphone jack with your headphones. All it takes is a multi meter and a few minutes to do!!

And OBTW, whatever cans and stuff you can afford to get is what sounds best to you!! There may be other things that sound better, but that path never ends until you either hit an Orpheus or Stax's ultra expensive stuff. There will always be better stuff out there, the question is: can you live with what you have?? Many people who drive a beat up VW bug dream of getting that new Lexus LS430, but they don't compare their Bug to it!! Do they?? They know there is better stuff out there, but they also know it is futile lusting after it. Make the best, informed decision you can, with as much input as you can, to spend the money you have available to spend!! If you come across more money in the future and want to upgrade something, repeat the above step.

Lord Bless

Nov 11, 2002 at 11:50 PM Post #43 of 61
Hey thanks a lot! I'll try to get m hands on a multi-meter and try it out.

Nov 12, 2002 at 1:20 AM Post #44 of 61
Quote:

Hey thanks a lot! I'll try to get m hands on a multi-meter and try it out.

just be careful not to touch the two leads of the multi meter together once you touch one of them to the power side of the headphone output!! When in doubt get another set of hands in there for help. If you short those two leads together at the wrong time it could ruin the headphone out of your unit.

Another tip is to try using either paper clips to connect the leads to what you are trying to do by wrapping them around each lead. This provides you with the ability to bend the paper clips and keep the leads away from each other. (Small pieces of wire that is covered all the way down to the last small segment where you strip it back can also help.)

Have fun DarkWolf!!

Lord Bless

Nov 12, 2002 at 2:09 AM Post #45 of 61
Oh wow. well i don't run the risk of killing anything. maybe i'll just wait till i get my phones and see how they sound... Thanks for the warning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back