weird XCD-88 modding experience
Nov 10, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #46 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
Im confused... are you argueing bang-for-the-buck or best ever?

Covered in post above.

Nov 10, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #47 of 70
I’ll take the headphone challenge:

Under $375 I prefer:

K340
K501
MS2
MS2i
W100
W11JPN
DT990-600
DT880
HF-1
RS-2
HD595
HD600
HD650
SR-303
SR-404

To answer the thread owner’s issue:

I found the OPA627 to tame the sound of the XCD-88 and the treble to sound more refined. The midrange is slightly more vivid and smoother while the bass is a bit tighter. Of course a better comparison would involve my modded unit versus a stock one but perhaps this can be resolved one day…

Nov 10, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #48 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
Yes, data doesn't tell you the story of sound quality. I do not argue that notion, but I am detesting the notion that the SA5000s are NEUTRAL. They are NOT NEUTRAL, as you can see from the huge ass spike @ 10K.

Actually the spike at 10 K is more consistent with the rest of the SA5000 curve than the suck-out at 10 K in the HD650.

Much rahter thave a spike at 10 K, like the SA5000, than a huge dip at 10 K like the HD650.

Think that is why the SA5000 sounds so much better with good equipment?

Now if you have a harsh CD player or harsh amp you would want a dip at 10 K like the HD650 shows. That would mask your problem components. Think that is why people with problem components like the HD650?

Nov 10, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #49 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
I own both the HD650 and SA5000 and don't like the muddled midrange of complex congested passages of the HD650 compared to the SA5000.

Ok that part of your statement is perfectly fine as that is your opinion and you are certainly entitled to ne

Quote:

Can't imagine anyone who would.

However here you go again, we already know you like your system the best and as a I said before that's great you seem to have found the perfect sound for you. But again we all have different tastes and hear differently. No one is contesting that you think your system is the best for you. We are contesting it that you think it is the best system for everyone else. You don't have anyone elses ears or brain so how can you know whats best for them? Thats right you can't so stop with the blanket comments and move on.

Nov 10, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #50 of 70
Quote:

Art: Yes, the topic was changed by Kamaleon to best in class. Surprised you didn't notice this. Are you reading the posts at all before replying?

Don't you go trying to pin anything regarding the equipment debate that's also going on in this thread on me. The only reason I mentioned "best in class" was because you seem to have a fixation on it. I didn't mention what class I was talking about, because I was just referring to the rather ambitious $2000 headphones/$3000 CDP budget you threw out there at the beginning of this thread and have been trying to get out of ever since.

You using this to change your "challenges" is nothing to do with me, I'm not here to make any remarks on any of the equipment as I am quite willing to admit I haven't heard anything that's been mentioned so far in this thread apart from the HD650.

As I've stressed numerous times, and you've ignored numerous times, I'm here for no reason apart from your attitude.

Nov 10, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #51 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart

Under $375 I prefer:

K340
K501
MS2
MS2i
W100
W11JPN
DT990-600
DT880
HF-1
RS-2
HD595
HD600
HD650
SR-303
SR-404

To answer the thread owner’s issue:

I found the OPA627 to tame the sound of the XCD-88 and the treble to sound more refined. The midrange is slightly more vivid and smoother while the bass is a bit tighter. Of course a better comparison would involve my modded unit versus a stock one but perhaps this can be resolved one day…

Sounds like you think most anything is better than the SA5000.

Nov 10, 2005 at 4:18 AM Post #52 of 70
Quote:

Does that make him wrong? Or that he hasn't listened to the right gear?

Or maybe Leeav just doesn't know what natural voices or insturment timbre is.

rolleyes.gif

Best,

-Jason

Nov 10, 2005 at 4:18 AM Post #53 of 70
Quote:

The Esteemed Doctor In "Not everyone agrees with me" Shocker!

Nov 10, 2005 at 4:23 AM Post #54 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameleon
Don't you go trying to pin anything regarding the equipment debate that's also going on in this thread on me. The only reason I mentioned "best in class" was because you seem to have a fixation on it. I didn't mention what class I was talking about, because I was just referring to the rather ambitious $2000 headphones/$3000 CDP budget you threw out there at the beginning of this thread and have been trying to get out of ever since.

You using this to change your "challenges" is nothing to do with me, I'm not here to make any remarks on any of the equipment as I am quite willing to admit I haven't heard anything that's been mentioned so far in this thread apart from the HD650.

As I've stressed numerous times, and you've ignored numerous times, I'm here for no reason apart from your attitude.

Art: What class where you referring to? Your post:

Originally Posted by Kameleon
Whatever "experience" you're talking about is all well and good, I'm sure, but it might make a little more of an impact if it was experience with the products that we're actually talking about here. You call all of your equipment "best in class" but you've not heard all their competitors? That's not assurance, that's blind ignorance.

My reply:
Art: Yes, my equipment is the best in its price class. I pride myself for getting the best bang for the buck, in buying anything.

Now what class are you talking about?

Is this the $7500 USD class of a CD player, headphone and a headphone amp? If so I wouldn't recommend anythig else but the E5 CDP, SA5000, and Bada PH12 for only $1500.

What would you recommend?

Nov 10, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #55 of 70
Quote:

Actually the spike at 10 K is more consistent with the rest of the SA5000 curve than the suck-out at 10 K in the HD650.

Much rahter thave a spike at 10 K, like the SA5000, than a huge dip at 10 K like the HD650.

Think that is why the SA5000 sounds so much better with good equipment?

Now if you have a harsh CD player or harsh amp you would want a dip at 10 K like the HD650 shows. That would mask your problem components. Think that is why people with problem components like the HD650?

Wow, you really are a dumbass. What you just said regarding the HD650s can be inverted to insult the SA5000s, do you not see that? There's an equal spike in the SA5000 to the dip in the HD650. They are both COLORED cans. So you think your system is neutral? Then your Bada is equalizing the SA5000s for you (meaning the Bada is BAD, only good for SPIKED headphones). No, you think the Bada is neutral? Then the SA5000s are colored, or your ears are at fault (which wouldn't surprise me). Take your pick.

You trounce in here saying the SA5000s are the best and most neutral headphones under $2000; I guess you're taking that all back now? Fact of the matter is, the SA5000 is not neutral, and it is a SH!TTY headphone in comparision to other offerings under $2000. I guess you must be the 'chosen one' on Head-Fi, because if you ask anyone else if they would trade in their SA5000 for any headphone under $2000, they would do it in a flash. The SA5000 is a good headphone in the $375 range, but you must be senile to think it's the best under $2000.

Don't cry over spilt milk, old man.

Nov 10, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #56 of 70
Quote:

What would you recommend?

If you'd actually read any of my posts, you'd know I'm not going to answer this question.

I have already answered all the other questions you raised, in my previous post. Maybe go back and reread that one first?

Nov 10, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #57 of 70
Originally Posted by NeilPeart

Under $375 I prefer:

K340
K501
MS2
MS2i
W100
W11JPN
DT990-600
DT880
HF-1
RS-2
HD595
HD600
HD650
SR-303
SR-404

Art: Sounds like you think most anything is better than the SA5000.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Does that make him wrong? Or that he hasn't listened to the right gear?

Or maybe Leeav just doesn't know what natural voices or insturment timbre is.

rolleyes.gif

Best,

-Jason

Art: Sounds like you agree with him.

Nov 10, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #58 of 70
Quote:

That's quite a comeback you got there, champ. Does this mean that as soon as you can identify someone as not being an SA5000-lover, they can be safely ignored as a lower form of life? You've got to come to terms with the fact that not everyone agrees with you sometime, why not now?

Nov 10, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #59 of 70
Quote:

No, actually, I thought about it and I prefer my SA5k over my (some formerly) owned HD650, HD600, W100, W10VTG and over the SR-325i, CD3000 and other sub $400 cans I've heard. So I think I agree with you that for me the SA5k is my favorite at that price point. Just I don't think they're any more natural or less coloured than any other can out there.

Don't forget, I'm actually a huge, and the very first, fan of the SA5k on this board. I've helped over a dozen people buy them before they were released in the States and regularly loan mine out to other head-fier's because I think they are fantastic. I bought my second pair after I got my Qualia 010 because I missed owning one (I had sold my original to a good home after getting the Qualia).

I just don't go around insisting that I'm right. And I also don't think they're any more neutral or accurate than any other can. Actually, I think they're pretty artificial sounding, but that's part of what gives them character.

Best regards,

-Jason

Postscript: Ah memories...

First Purchaser of the SA5000

Unabashed fanboy saying farewell to pair #1

Things I prefer about the SA5k over Qualia 010... but why the Qualia 010 is better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back