Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Mar 31, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #9,301 of 14,272
  Indeed, this one in either the leather or metal bands are very nice looking pieces, unfortunately as I've stated earlier putting two through college soon has ended/OK delayed my Omega dreams for a few more years. But I aspire to have a nice collection like Shem's
normal_smile%20.gif

Nothing wrong with priorities.  Especially when those priorities are your children.  I really respect that decision on your part to put your children first - Good on you, Sir.

Mar 31, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #9,302 of 14,272

Nothing wrong with priorities.  Especially when those priorities are your children.  I really respect that decision on your part to put your children first - Good on you, Sir.

THX, it's a balancing act for sure. Funny how we go from 100% disposable to I think I allow 15/20% for myself now and the rest to them. It is a far better cause than trinkets/toys for pops, of course all my stuff will be handed down one day. Guess that will be passing the bug on eh
rolleyes.gif

While I have you and I know you stay up on watches and horology what can you say about this company? https://www.torgoen.com/watches/mens-collections/orion/t08302.html 

Mar 31, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #9,303 of 14,272
  THX, it's a balancing act for sure. Funny how we go from 100% disposable to I think I allow 15/20% for myself now and the rest to them. It is a far better cause than trinkets/toys for pops, of course all my stuff will be handed down one day. Guess that will be passing the bug on eh
rolleyes.gif

While I have you and I know you stay up on watches and horology what can you say about this company? https://www.torgoen.com/watches/mens-collections/orion/t08302.html 

Such is life, you know!  
wink_face.gif

As for Torgoen, I will be totally honest, I have never heard of them until now so it is hard to comment.  Even more so without seeing them in person.  That particular one looks pretty neat and is very unique in function.  It is 3 smaller quartz movements (read, change three batteries) put in one HUGE 45mm case.  What are your thoughts?

Mar 31, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #9,305 of 14,272

Such is life, you know!  
wink_face.gif

As for Torgoen, I will be totally honest, I have never heard of them until now so it is hard to comment.  Even more so without seeing them in person.  That particular one looks pretty neat and is very unique in function.  It is 3 smaller quartz movements (read, change three batteries) put in one HUGE 45mm case.  What are your thoughts?

Large, cumbersome and with three batt's I might be crazy in the belfry with this one! I was originally drawn to this one https://www.torgoen.com/watches/limited-edition/t81-limited-edition.html but thought the Orion Triple Time zone was interesting.

This is my personal fave of those
tongue_smile.gif

t08303_b.jpg

Mar 31, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #9,307 of 14,272
  Large, cumbersome and with three batt's I might be crazy in the belfry with this one! I was originally drawn to this one https://www.torgoen.com/watches/limited-edition/t81-limited-edition.html but thought the Orion Triple Time zone was interesting.

This is my personal fave of those
tongue_smile.gif

Hey, you're drawn to what you are drawn too.  If it makes you smile, then it is a good watch in my eyes.  

I actually really like the T81 - the Mile Marker hands with the red accents are pretty sharp.  It is still big (but that's me, and I generally don't go above 40mm) but I really like the look.  At $950 is it little expensive for a watch with so little finishing on an ETA 2824 but not too bad with the way the market as a whole has been going with fashion brands.  You can get a Stowa Flieger TO2 with a chronometer grade 2824 for about $1300 but it is a far simpler design on the outside.

The Orion Triple Time Zone is neat.  A bit more calmed down with the 'carbon fiber' dial and faux patina hands and indices.  I'm not sure about the burgundy accents though...  It is a mostly blacked out watch (case, dial, band) and red is typically used to make it all pop and come together - give it visual interest.  This, for me, lacks that luster and just falls a little flat.  I know they were trying to give it a vintage theme with a seemingly aged red accents, but IMHO, it didn't work here.

I personally prefer the version in the first link you sent me and if I were designing it, I would have done so differently.  But I'm not wearing it 
wink_face.gif

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #9,308 of 14,272
THX Paulie, alwYs appreciate your take. I think I'll give Torgoen more time and see how they pan out. I really expect a very well built watch when they approach 1G range, so many nice watches at thus price point out there.

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #9,309 of 14,272

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #9,310 of 14,272
THX Paulie, alwYs appreciate your take. I think I'll give Torgoen more time and see how they pan out. I really expect a very well built watch when they approach 1G range, so many nice watches at thus price point out there.

Anytime.  They should be well built given the price and their dell direct business model.  Other brands that have taken that approach (eliminating the middle man) tend to be very high value.

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #9,311 of 14,272
Apr 1, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #9,312 of 14,272
Good eye there on the Porsche. 
L3000.gif

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #9,313 of 14,272
That is an awesome looking watch, I love the vintage Speedmasters.

Just enough of those "fried egg" headlights are visible to make that an obvious spot.

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #9,314 of 14,272
  That is an awesome looking watch, I love the vintage Speedmasters.

Just enough of those "fried egg" headlights are visible to make that an obvious spot.

Yes, and those Porsche alloys sealed it
rolleyes.gif

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #9,315 of 14,272
  Good eye there on the Porsche. 
L3000.gif

Best friend had these babies on his screaming yellow 2006 Cayman, had a chance to buy it from him for $26K in 2010 but the wife said daddy had to have a 4 door
frown.gif

porsche-alloy-wheels.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back