Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Mar 30, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #9,272 of 14,276
Anyone here have any experience with the new Omega Seamaster 300 Master? I am reasonably close to pulling the trigger on one. It's between that or a 42mm Planet Ocean. There are two things holding me back right now though. I like the Planet Ocean because it has a date window, but there are none with black bezels. All have a faded out looking grey bezel now, besides more expensive limited edition ones. And I love the Seamaster 300 Master, but it has no date window.

I'm also trying to decide if it is worth an extra $2k to buy directly from Omega and have a warranty or save the money and buy grey market from somewhere like Joma. I guess there are worse problems to have, but I'm pretty conflicted right now.

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #9,273 of 14,276
  Anyone here have any experience with the new Omega Seamaster 300 Master? I am reasonably close to pulling the trigger on one. It's between that or a 42mm Planet Ocean. There are two things holding me back right now though. I like the Planet Ocean because it has a date window, but there are none with black bezels. All have a faded out looking grey bezel now, besides more expensive limited edition ones. And I love the Seamaster 300 Master, but it has no date window.

I'm also trying to decide if it is worth an extra $2k to buy directly from Omega and have a warranty or save the money and buy grey market from somewhere like Joma. I guess there are worse problems to have, but I'm pretty conflicted right now.

Hmmm...  Well there is a Seamaster 300 that has a back bezel and date window that is still current production:

Click here to go to Omega's site.

PS. I don't care for the grey bezel either.  I don't really care for the whole retro fad right not to be frank.  Cream coloured lume?  Unless it's legitimate patina, no thank you.

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #9,274 of 14,276
Thanks for the response Paulie. I'm honestly not a fan of the current "normal" Seamasters like you posted above. I was honestly on the fence too about the retro Master 300, but I was able to try one on in person yesterday and and the lume color is more subtle than it appears and it's not as obvious in person.

I'm really leaning toward the Master 300 right now because this is a wedding present from my wife that will be an heirloom item, something that I will likely keep forever and wear on special occasions and important meetings. Eventually I can get a "cheaper" (relative) used normal Seamaster on a rubber strap for more informal everyday wear. Anything is a step up from the 6ish year old Orient Mako I wear pretty much every day, which is a great watch but starting to get somewhat beat up.

Mar 30, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #9,275 of 14,276
  Thanks for the response Paulie. I'm honestly not a fan of the current "normal" Seamasters like you posted above. I was honestly on the fence too about the retro Master 300, but I was able to try one on in person yesterday and and the lume color is more subtle than it appears and it's not as obvious in person.

I'm really leaning toward the Master 300 right now because this is a wedding present from my wife that will be an heirloom item, something that I will likely keep forever and wear on special occasions and important meetings. Eventually I can get a "cheaper" (relative) used normal Seamaster on a rubber strap for more informal everyday wear. Anything is a step up from the 6ish year old Orient Mako I wear pretty much every day, which is a great watch but starting to get somewhat beat up.

Ah, sorry, I was having one of 'those moments'...  I thought you were asking about the 'normal' Seamaster.  My bad.  There is the blue/Ti version which I think is pretty sharp; it's a modern spin on a classic design.  As for the faded bezel, I completely understand...  I again refer to the fake patina that bugs me.  The grey bezel is the same "pre-aged" faux finish.  It is already a classic throw back design, Omega did not need to lay it on so think (IMHO).

As for the $2k price difference, there something very nice about buying from a dealer or a boutique, but it is a lot of money.  To be honest, the warranty probably isn't worth it.  The watch is so well built that any issues are so unlikely.  Not to mention that IF there is an issue, $2000 buys you a lot of repairs.  

Just a final thought on the date window.  You mentioned that you would only wear it on special occasion, etc.  If that is the case, would the date be as important (ie, I don't care about the date when I'm on a date).

All I can really add is that the Master 300 is really nicely built and feels great on the wrist and in hand.  Omega has really stepped up their game in the last 10 years or so and this watch is certainly a testament to that.  The original version (if you ever get see one is person) is (to me at least) nothing special (aside the historical significance).  But that is the case with many vintage pieces.  Anyway, my point is, it is nice that these re-makes are en vogue right now.  This is a trend I can get behind and it won't be here forever.

-Paul

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #9,276 of 14,276
Me stopped collecting G Shock...reason being whenever me wear them...rashes pop out in in the shape of the plastic resin band which is strange cuz this only started 2 years..fyi have been wearing G Shock since they first came out....the strange thing is no such rashes with Seiko Diver silicone band...:cry: sad

That happened to me with bananas. Ate them all my younger life and then one day, when I was 22, I felt really ill after eating one, Felt like i had a rash inside my throat and stomach,
Forgot all about it and then felt the same way after drinking a banana daiquiri ,

Weird how that works. No more Kiwis either (the fruit, not the people 
tongue.gif
). Doctor said they have the same black seed.

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #9,277 of 14,276
Hi everyone! Just found this thread. I'm Shem on Omega Forums, WUS, and TRF if any of you guys know me there. Figured I'd introduce myself and post some pictures from my current collection. :)

Omega Speedmaster Professional (311.30.42.30.01.005, the new 3570.50)

Omega Speedmaster Perpetual (Perpetual Calendar Chronograph), BA 175.0037

Omega Speedmaster Professional Apollo-Soyuz 35th Anniversary LE

Omega "Skyfall" Aqua Terra 

Frédérique Constant Slimline Moonphase

Omega Speedmaster Professional Aventurine Moonphase

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #9,278 of 14,276
Welcome, Shembot - very elegant collection you have! I am sure that the regular posting members will give those watches some love! :bigsmile_face:

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #9,279 of 14,276
That happened to me with bananas. Ate them all my younger life and then one day, when I was 22, I felt really ill after eating one, Felt like i had a rash inside my throat and stomach,
Forgot all about it and then felt the same way after drinking a banana daiquiri ,

Weird how that works. No more Kiwis either (the fruit, not the people :p ). Doctor said they have the same black seed.

Yup ....funny how they just suddenly become a problem....at one time had about almost 20 G-Shock and now left with two Casio ( Protrek Titanuim Band and orange King G-shock GX-56 which is a resin band )

No black seed fruit for you and Casio resin band for me ....you got a better deal than me imho ..haha :rolleyes:

Edited ....btw still loving G-Shock ....especially moedawg140 collection

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #9,280 of 14,276
Yup ....funny how they just suddenly become a problem....at one time had about almost 20 G-Shock and now left with two Casio ( Protrek Titanuim Band and orange King G-shock GX-56 which is a resin band )

No black seed fruit for you and Casio resin band for me ....you got a better deal than me imho ..haha
rolleyes.gif

Edited ....btw still loving G-Shock ....especially @moedawg140 collection

Thanks my man!  At least Casio/G-Shock makes enough steel and titanium banded watches to create another type of watch collection! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Just wondering, what's your favorite G-Shock that I own?

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #9,281 of 14,276
Thanks my man!  At least Casio/G-Shock makes enough steel and titanium banded watches to create another type of watch collection!  :bigsmile_face:

Just wondering, what's your favorite G-Shock that I own?

Forgot the model number .......but so far me fav is the recent one you posted ....marble like texture and also the bling bling gold models ....used to have me glass cabinet with all me G-Shock proudly displayed .....they have " SWAG" :D

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #9,282 of 14,276
Quote:
Forgot the model number .......but so far me fav is the recent one you posted ....marble like texture and also the bling bling gold models ....used to have me glass cabinet with all me G-Shock proudly displayed .....they have " SWAG"
biggrin.gif

Oh, thanks!  The gold ones (especially the rose gold one) gets a lot of rotation every week it seems.  [u][color=rgb(5, 99, 193)]@immtbiker[/color][/u] at CanJam yesterday had an awesome all-black G-Shock aviator's watch on.  His watch is an end-game G-Shock, no doubt about that.  Try on the newer MT-G series if you can:

Mar 31, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #9,284 of 14,276
@moedawg140......thanks for the headsup ....actually saw that model ...bit pricey for me though ..haha
biggrin.gif

I totally understand!  I was thinking that maybe I could get one from fleabay as a present to myself once I obtain my Master's or have friends/family pitch in where I say they don't have to buy me anything for a few years, just contribute to the moedawg140 MT-G fund!
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back