Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
May 18, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #7,757 of 14,295

Have you guys used (or are using) Watch Winders for your automatic watches?

I have this auto winder but since I currently own only one automatic watch it doesn't get used often. My EDC watch is a Fossil ME3021.

So at the moment I have two watches staying in the case are more of a display than anything else. But when I don't wear the watch for more than a day I'll pop it in the winder and turn it on just so it's ready to go the next time I need it.

Uhhhh what is that watch? I want it.

edit: Found it, http://www.amazon.com/Fossil-ME3021-Ansel-Automatic-Stainless/dp/B007LNN2Y0

The price seems way too cheap, I'll have to see it in a store or something to feel its weight and build.

May 18, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #7,759 of 14,295

edit: Found it, http://www.amazon.com/Fossil-ME3021-Ansel-Automatic-Stainless/dp/B007LNN2Y0

The price seems way too cheap, I'll have to see it in a store or something to feel its weight and build.

It is a good looking design. The price? I don't know if it really is too cheap. The quality of watch you can get for that kind of money these days is pretty decent. It won't be a hefty heirloom-quality product, but it should look and feel nice, I'd guess.

I love browsing Amazon for watches, as the sheer number and variety of designs is amazing.

May 18, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #7,761 of 14,295

It can be found for under $200 pretty often. The wife purchased it for me as a birthday present last year. The band is showing a bit of wear since I have it with me daily. I've also lost enough weight to need to shrink the band twice in that time, so I'm sure a chunk of the wear is from when it wasn't fitted properly. It's decent at keeping accurate time but not flawless. It's loses a few minutes over a month so about every 4-5 weeks I'm correcting the time. I've seen far worse before.

It was a surprise for me. She knew I love skeleton displays and that I needed a new mechanical watch. She picked out a nice one. :wink:

May 19, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #7,762 of 14,295
Ooo I'm okay with not 100% accurate times. My main concern with a lot of watches under 200 is that they don't weigh well and the metal feels extremely plasticky. I don't want something that weights a ton but some cheaper watches use more plastic so they just don't weigh like they're a watch. I know it's a silly point for a non-$1000+ watch but I'm adverse to wearing a watch with plastic imitating as metal. What are your thoughts?

May 19, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #7,763 of 14,295
My thoughts are that Seiko makes some amazing automatics with in house movements and solid stainless steel bracelets and housings. Truly amazing watches for the price. If you want an inexpensive auto it's tough to beat Seiko.

May 19, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #7,766 of 14,295
My thoughts are that Seiko makes some amazing automatics with in house movements and solid stainless steel bracelets and housings. Truly amazing watches for the price. If you want an inexpensive auto it's tough to beat Seiko.

I agree.  Seiko offers impressive value not just in their entry level pieces.  Grand Seiko and Credor, in their respective price classes, are though to beat too!

May 20, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #7,767 of 14,295

Seiko offers impressive value not just in their entry level pieces.  Grand Seiko and Credor, in their respective price classes, are though to beat too!

-Agreed. Additionally, Seiko earns lots of bonus points in my book for being extremely vertically integrated - they basically make EVERYTHING in-house, or at least they did until recently. They even made their own lubricants, rather than purchasing from Moebius as everybody else does.

In a day and age where everything is outsourced (my employer even outsourced the outsourcing department!), I really appreciate firms who actually stick to doing everything themselves.

May 21, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #7,768 of 14,295

My Work Watch...Omega Seamaster London Olympic Edition 1948. Bought this watch during the 2008 Olympics. Love it to bits.  

The Seamasters are one of my favorite lines of watches.
I have two: 1954 bumper, and the first Bond type (not sure if there was more than one...).
But the Chronographs have always caught my eye. Great styling, and this one is just lovely.

Congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back