Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Aug 24, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #1,561 of 14,288
I have this incoming to celebrate the completion of my chemotherapy and being cancer-free! It should be here tomorrow or Monday...can't wait!

P1010094.JPG

Aug 24, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #1,562 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have this incoming to celebrate the completion of my chemotherapy and being cancer-free! It should be here tomorrow or Monday...can't wait!

P1010094.JPG

Congratulations on all counts!

Aug 24, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #1,564 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AFIK, the best bands use links held together by screws. A solid pin, unless I'm mistaken, would be held in by some sort of mild adhesive such as locktite. The way my jeweler friend described to me, if I understood him correctly, is to warm up the band with a heat gun, then the pins can be extracted safely. I have several tools to remove and re-insert pins, and all friction fit pins with one exception were split pins. The one exception is with the Tissot T-Touch watches I have. They have a solid pin that is, indeed held in place with something like locktite. I changed the bands on two of them and used an invisibly small drop of krazy glue to keep the pin in place.

On all my watches that use screws between the links, (Omega, Breitling, Ernst Benz, Ball,) they're so small in diameter, you might not even realize they're screws until you look at the ends with a loop. I have to use a very, very, very small screwdriver to fit in the slot.

Hi kw

Where are the screws located? My Omega has solid push pins in the band for adjustment, but I don't see any screws??? Are they visible?

USG

Edit for quick and dirty pic of bands.....

orig.jpg

Aug 24, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #1,565 of 14,288
Quote:

P1010094.JPG

Congrats on all accounts!

USG

Aug 24, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #1,566 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi kw

Where are the screws located? My Omega has solid push pins in the band for adjustment, but I don't see any screws??? Are they visible?

USG

Edit for quick and dirty pic of bands.....

orig.jpg

I see the screw heads in the Rolex band but the screws on my Omegas are just as small as what looks like pins in your picture. Look at it under a magnifier to see if there's a fine slot for screw driver. If it's a solid pin, then you may need to gently heat the band before extracting them. Often the secrws are locktited as well.

Aug 24, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #1,567 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Omega bracelets don't use screws but rather pins.
Here is a good tutorial on how to adjust the bracelet on Omegas...
http://mywatchmaker.net/epages/sizingbracelets.htm

Aug 24, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #1,568 of 14,288
as it turns out the zenith has the same exact type of pins as the omega.

i always thought that if a band was considered high quality it must have screws. this must not be true. since zenith and omega are some of the best watches available(imho).

the thing is they are not split pins like on a $100 watch though. there must be a reason they use the pins. i am sure these companies could have used screws if they wanted to. some other companies use pins like this too. even an old iwc i have(maybe 25 years old).

music_man

Aug 25, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #1,569 of 14,288
Quote:

P1010094.JPG

Very happy for you, and best of luck.

Aug 25, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #1,570 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Omega bracelets don't use screws but rather pins.
Here is a good tutorial on how to adjust the bracelet on Omegas...
http://mywatchmaker.net/epages/sizingbracelets.htm

You are correct, I stand corrected. I was confusing the Planet Ocean bracelet with the Ball Skylab Commemorative bracelet.

Aug 25, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #1,571 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as it turns out the zenith has the same exact type of pins as the omega.

i always thought that if a band was considered high quality it must have screws. this must not be true. since zenith and omega are some of the best watches available(imho).

the thing is they are not split pins like on a $100 watch though. there must be a reason they use the pins. i am sure these companies could have used screws if they wanted to. some other companies use pins like this too. even an old iwc i have(maybe 25 years old).

music_man

My watchmaker straightened me out on this one. The Omega pins have a "detent" inscribed in the pin. The barrel that it rides in has a detent as well and it is the detent in the barrel that captures the detent on the pin.

Aug 28, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #1,572 of 14,288
Quote:

P1010094.JPG

Congrats!

Aug 28, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #1,573 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcn3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very nice!! i'm a sucker for a great, unique diving watch.

I like diving watch too... Here are some of my other watches :

DSC_2141.jpg

DSC_2426.jpg

And two others I unfortunately had to sell a few month ago to buy another one...

26480077.jpg

Here is one last picture with my wife's divers watch :

f9515d64.jpg

Aug 28, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #1,574 of 14,288
Quote:

For what you must have went through, you deserve a lot more than a nice watch. Please stay healthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back