Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics!
Aug 22, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #1,546 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A watch that tells time.

I don't know why you have to pay thousands of dollars for a watch that will work.

My $85 Invicta is very accurate, tells time and is water proof. It does not say Rolex or Omega on it and may not have as nice of a movement, but it works as advertised.

Yes, it works as advertised, and if it doesn't you can count on the manufacturer to make it right. It doesn't pretend to be anything other than an Invicta. It's styling may resemble something else, but it still says Invicta on the dial, and that's a good thing. There's nothing wrong with Invicta. I've got a few of them myself. They make some really cool looking watches.

The point I'm trying to make has nothing to do with cost itself. It has to do with value. When you buy a watch that says Invicta, that's what you're getting and Invicta stands behind it. they don't try to misrepresent what they're selling. When you buy a knock off, what have you got? Not necessarily a watch that tells time, and if it doesn't, you're stuck with it. Who's going to fix it?

Aug 22, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #1,547 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog5145 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have read from people who have bought the watches from the dealer that the movement is legit. A once over by a local watchsmith can determine its water resistance (and can also fix it if there is none). And after saving $4000, who needs a warranty?

I see your point, but at the end of the day, you still don't have a Panni. You have a knock off. It's not worth anywhere near the $4k that a real Panni is. That doesn't necessarily mean than it's not a good watch, but you just don't know until you leap and then you're stuck with the results. At BEST, you end up with a watch that runs and resembles a Panni, but it's not one.

If you're buying it because YOU like the style, that's great, but if you're buying it to impress someone else, the only people that would be impressed would be other watch nuts and they would spot the knock off from 10 feet away, so what have you accomplished?

I have nothing against a reputable company making a watch that copies the styling of another popular watch, as long as they don't misrepresent it to the public. Sell it for what it is and stand behind it like any good company should.

I bought those Chinese made watches because I liked their styling. I don't have the money to buy every high zoot watch that strikes my fancy, the the AdeeKaye's are good for a cheap watch fix.
wink.gif
They're guaranteed and the manufacturer/importer stands behind them.

Aug 22, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #1,548 of 14,288
Hey guys im looking for a new watch. Ive never had one before, but ive always wanted something nice and classy. The http://djwatchmaker.com/adk-auto.htm watches look great (esp the last 2) but I dont have the money to buy those. I admit i didnt read all 70 pages ^_^

Any recommendations? I don't even know what to ask, or to look for. I would guess, i would rather have something thats not digital, but waterproof? Looks good, feels great, doesn't break easy and has a warrenty.

Thanks!

Edit: Anywhere between 50-80$

Aug 22, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #1,549 of 14,288
I am also against fakes (with horrible details and bad movements which break within days) but honestly... are some of these panerai's worth $5k+? They make great watches but the prices just keep going up...

Hell, Doxa just raised prices 30% like a month ago...

Aug 22, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #1,550 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasp3r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys im looking for a new watch. Ive never had one before, but ive always wanted something nice and classy. The http://djwatchmaker.com/adk-auto.htm watches look great (esp the last 2) but I dont have the money to buy those. I admit i didnt read all 70 pages ^_^

Any recommendations? I don't even know what to ask, or to look for. I would guess, i would rather have something thats not digital, but waterproof? Looks good, feels great, doesn't break easy and has a warrenty.

Thanks!

watches under 60 bux
Watches 60 to 100 bux

In that price range, analog quartz is going to be the most satisfactory for you. In the links above, there are about 600 watches to choose from. Does anything there strike your fancy? For the <$60.00 watches, Casio will probably be a good bet, then of course Invicta, Citizen, Seiko, Timex, Bulova, Pulsar, Nike, ESQ, etc.

There are even a few automatics in that bunch for under a 100 bux. The Casio Waveceptors are remarkably good watches for the money and you never have to set them!

Aug 22, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #1,551 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasp3r /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks!

Your best bet, if you want to go mechanical, is a Seiko 5.

These retail in stores for 80 on up, but on ebay you can get them from singaporean sellers for between $30 and $100.

There are a LOT of attractive watches in that range, most of them with display backs, and all of them with a fairly reliable Seiko automatic movement.

Buying a watch from Some Guy In Singapore may sound shady, but it's not. Seiko has a very large factory in Singapore that uses the exact same machine tools as their Japan factory, and the build quality is every bit as good. Most Seiko 5 watches are assembled entirely by machine and have never been touched by human hands on the inside.

Notably, ebay sellers "premierworld" and "pokemonyu" have outstanding reputations. Other sellers in singapore with high feedback ratings are most likely a safe bet as well.

If you don't like ebay, try Reto Castellazi -
http://www.pmwf.com/Watches/Watch%20Sales%20Table.htm

He's a very oldschool gentleman watch addict who just happens to live in the far east. His shipping times are slightly better than singapore sellers because he ships out of Hong Kong. His prices are also a bit higher.

Aug 24, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #1,552 of 14,288
Hi Everyone,

I am currently waiting for the Seamaster 2254.50 to have the co-axial escapement; I know the Bond version already got it, but I was wondering when the black one will.

22545000.gif

Aug 24, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #1,553 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Everyone,

I am currently waiting for the Seamaster 2254.50 to have the co-axial escapement; I know the Bond version already got it, but I was wondering when the black one will.

22545000.gif

My favorite watch.....

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Aug 24, 2007 at 8:19 AM Post #1,554 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two more beautiful watches there, both of which, I believe, are also based upon the Unitas 6497.

The last Mouskateer, pictured, however, is beyond me.

Sharp eye kw....

One is a 6497 and the other is a 6498.

USG

Aug 24, 2007 at 9:07 AM Post #1,555 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There isn't a single thing uniquely good about a Rolex movement.

They're just conservatively designed, very traditional movements. They're not particularly good or bad, and they're not even finished very well.

They're reliable, but no more or less than a good ETA movement.

But then i'd never wear a rolex anyway. If i had the money, I'd get something else entirely. Possibly two or three something elses.

Frankly, Rolex is all about marketing, customer service, and price fixing.

They have outstanding marketing that probably won't get toppled any time soon. They're the most recognized luxury watch name and that probably won't change.

They give excellent service to their customers - as well they should after charging thousands of dollars for a watch that any other maker would only charge about $800 for.

It's the way they control the sales that bugs me.

A rolex salesman will tell you that the watch always appreciates in value - and this is somewhat true, because rolex will arbitrarily increase the price every year by a margin much wider than inflation.

And then to add insult to injury, they fill the face of the watch with ad copy.

i just passed up a brand new sea dweller at $5000 from a real AD localy out the door with Chicago tax..
it was the best of the best in price i would ever find local on a brand new sea deweller after tax. i am not sorry one bit cause i know two stores who have pre owned 06/07 sd's at $4100.00 and i seen a few on the used market from good sellers at $3600. regular price on a new sd with tax is around $5900.00

Rolex has most of their dealers by the balls and i admire their business sense.

why i dont have one on my wrist now?
the date window is stamped and not beveled..sorry but even at $3600 it should have a beveled date..
just like the lug holes in the older sub/sd's..lug hole in a luxury watch to me is not rite. my tissot prc does not even have lug holes..eew

but knowing me one day i will have one on the wrist..it depends on my mood. last month i been looking lots but not in the mood to throw away another $3500+ on a watch..please dont call it smarts, that would be unfound in my buying habits..hahaha

(no spell check used..late night post...going to bed and dreaming about a 10,000 ft deep titanuim lemon of a Breitling seawolf..good night)

Aug 24, 2007 at 10:38 AM Post #1,556 of 14,288
is there a way to tell just by looking at a bracelet if it has omega style multi piece pins or cheap split pins? it is a zenith.

i cannot push out omega pins myself so i was wondering.

thanks,
music_man

Aug 24, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #1,557 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there a way to tell just by looking at a bracelet if it has omega style multi piece pins or cheap split pins? it is a zenith.

i cannot push out omega pins myself so i was wondering.

thanks,
music_man

Yes, you should be able to see the screw head if it's not a split pin. Often even split pins may be held in with locktite, and the recommended way of removing them if they won't go with a gentle tap, is to heat the bracelet gently with a heat gun (not too hot!) first, then extraction is much easier.

Aug 24, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #1,558 of 14,288
it is a pin not a screw. it seems to be a solid pin though. on the split pins you can see that the pin is split at the end.

the better bracelets that do not use screws like the omega, use a solid pin. with two or three bushings around the pin. it all slides in together and requires a special tool. a regular pin pusher usually will not remove those and certainly won't put them back in. i'd think the zenith uses something like that. if it is just a split pin that is a pretty cheap bracelet on a rather pricey watch
frown.gif

i'll just bring it to a store. i was going to put a shark/stingray band on it. i don't really like metal for watches i actually wear.

music_man

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #1,559 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by Petyot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My new toy... Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine Diver in 43.7mm.

DSC_39371.jpg

DSC_39391.jpg

DSC_39341.jpg

very nice!! i'm a sucker for a great, unique diving watch.

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #1,560 of 14,288
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it is a pin not a screw. it seems to be a solid pin though. on the split pins you can see that the pin is split at the end.

the better bracelets that do not use screws like the omega, use a solid pin. with two or three bushings around the pin. it all slides in together and requires a special tool. a regular pin pusher usually will not remove those and certainly won't put them back in. i'd think the zenith uses something like that. if it is just a split pin that is a pretty cheap bracelet on a rather pricey watch
frown.gif

i'll just bring it to a store. i was going to put a shark/stingray band on it. i don't really like metal for watches i actually wear.

music_man

AFIK, the best bands use links held together by screws. A solid pin, unless I'm mistaken, would be held in by some sort of mild adhesive such as locktite. The way my jeweler friend described to me, if I understood him correctly, is to warm up the band with a heat gun, then the pins can be extracted safely. I have several tools to remove and re-insert pins, and all friction fit pins with one exception were split pins. The one exception is with the Tissot T-Touch watches I have. They have a solid pin that is, indeed held in place with something like locktite. I changed the bands on two of them and used an invisibly small drop of krazy glue to keep the pin in place.

On all my watches that use screws between the links, (Omega, Breitling, Ernst Benz, Ball,) they're so small in diameter, you might not even realize they're screws until you look at the ends with a loop. I have to use a very, very, very small screwdriver to fit in the slot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back