W/Rap Sucks 2.0..............................Rap/HipHop Appreciation Thread.
Nov 20, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #2,806 of 3,914
  ^ Yeppp that was basically what happened to that piece of schiit built AKGs. That OP mofo was hyping them up like crazy, but once people reported that these for falling apart on them due to the cheap/ plastic built most jumped thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/636439/akg-k167-ti-sto-discussion-impression-review-appreciation-thread/1410#post_9034096

http://www.head-fi.org/t/636439/akg-k167-ti-sto-discussion-impression-review-appreciation-thread/1425#post_9034613

http://www.head-fi.org/t/636439/akg-k167-ti-sto-discussion-impression-review-appreciation-thread/1425#post_9034669

Then that @ss hat tried to hype those muddy garbage Sonys. LMAO

http://www.head-fi.org/t/645121/sony-xb800-appreciation-thread

That mofo truly had no class meng.

^ Weakkk, i meant congrats???
tongue_smile.gif
Was hoping i can get my dirty lil' hands on those sweet gears you got once you start your fire sale and calling it quits on this hobby.
tongue.gif

Those AKG Sextitties you have seems like they sound crazy nice, and i am sure WAYNE will jump in here to spazz about them real soon. haha

Hey that reminds me you never shared the "mod" you did to your Beyers DT-250s meng. C'mon don't be holding out on us!!!

How long has you been into this hobby anyways cuz you're only in 9th grade!!!
eek.gif

You seem like you have A LOT of experience with modding and such.

Do we have a genius modster here with us!!!
triportsad.gif

oh yeah I forgot about that, anyways it is quite easy, but I'll have to warn you, it will marginally decrease Isolation (you could compensate for that and add some acoustic foam, silverstone is good) and it is hard to undo. The benefits on the other hand, is somewhat better sound stage depth (I'd say 5-12.5 percent) and slight amounts of extra detail here and there (3-10 percent), also I know of another mod that could add a bit of boom to the bass if your feeling that is what you are looking for. One last thing to say is if you like your headphones and how they are now, then you shouldn't force yourself to do it blah blah blah (I supposedly have to say that to prevent anybody who is stupid from trying the mod and then telling me that they don'r like it now). I'll tell you the mods through pm or in a new thread. 

Anyways, I do have quite a bit of modding experience from my other hobbies and I've only been in this one for about a year or two, most the modding is trial and error, so once you get to grips with it you can quickly mod any can to a good (an example would be my prized HD439's that have been modded to sound about 90% like a HD650, but better in alot of ways).

I would have probably not sold all my gear as I kind of formed this bond with them (especially my sextitties
size]
) 

Nov 20, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #2,807 of 3,914
  oh yeah I forgot about that, anyways it is quite easy, but I'll have to warn you, it will marginally decrease Isolation (you could compensate for that and add some acoustic foam, silverstone is good) and it is hard to undo. The benefits on the other hand, is somewhat better sound stage depth (I'd say 5-12.5 percent) and slight amounts of extra detail here and there (3-10 percent), also I know of another mod that could add a bit of boom to the bass if your feeling that is what you are looking for. One last thing to say is if you like your headphones and how they are now, then you shouldn't force yourself to do it blah blah blah (I supposedly have to say that to prevent anybody who is stupid from trying the mod and then telling me that they don'r like it now). I'll tell you the mods through pm or in a new thread. 

Anyways, I do have quite a bit of modding experience from my other hobbies and I've only been in this one for about a year or two, most the modding is trial and error, so once you get to grips with it you can quickly mod any can to a good (an example would be my prized HD439's that have been modded to sound about 90% like a HD650, but better in alot of ways).

I would have probably not sold all my gear as I kind of formed this bond with them (especially my sextitties
size]
) 

^ Welp i am pretty happy with how they sound stock so..... yeah probably don't wanna mod them. haha

BUT it would be great to see what you did to them with a step by step instructions/ pics of your mods in a modding thread or something.

Yeppp VERY much interested in what you did to those lowly DH439s as well. Meng you already heard the HD650s and is so certain that your modded HD439s bests them D'YAM!!! Mod genius right herrr!!!
beerchug.gif

NICK YOU GOT SOME SERIOUS COMPETITION HERE!!!
triportsad.gif

There is nothing like them AKG Sextitties, NOTHING welp at least that's what WAYNE tells me anyways. haha
tongue.gif

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #2,808 of 3,914
welp Sf there is always the AKG 141's,,, and Mr W hasn't heard the 240Monitor versions yet even especially with new pads and foams on them.  Sf you have the 439..you've been holding out...  anyhow off topic so back to the wrap

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #2,809 of 3,914

There is nothing like them AKG Sextitties, NOTHING welp at least that's what WAYNE tells me anyways. haha
tongue.gif

Ug. Sextitties good.

Nov 24, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #2,812 of 3,914
Hello. Looking for recommendations on musicians or groups who play hip hop, electronic, jazz, or related/reminiscent music incorporating live instruments. I've heard of artists who play with bands just during live performances, but I'm looking for a little more than that. One-off albums which feature live music could also work (for example Shing02's album Waikyoku features live musicians). Here's a few examples of people who do or have done this to give you an idea what I'm talking about plus tell you what I already know:

The Roots (an extremely obvious example)
The Procussions
Robert Glasper / Robert Glasper Experiment
Chris Dave / Chris Dave & the Drumhedz
Daru Jones / The Ruff Pack
Medeski Martin & Wood
Break Science
Jojo Mayer / Nerve
Shigeto (sort of)
Lushlife (at least one time)
Zach Danziger / Mister Barrington / Domingo Dimanche / Stix Beiderbecke
Mark Guiliana / Beat Music / Mehliana
Darryl Reeves
Will Sessions

That's already a somewhat long list actually...haha. Anyone got anything else?

Nov 24, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #2,813 of 3,914
  Hello. Looking for recommendations on musicians or groups who play hip hop, electronic, jazz, or related/reminiscent music incorporating live instruments. I've heard of artists who play with bands just during live performances, but I'm looking for a little more than that. One-off albums which feature live music could also work (for example Shing02's album Waikyoku features live musicians). Here's a few examples of people who do or have done this to give you an idea what I'm talking about plus tell you what I already know:

The Procussions
Medeski Martin & Wood
Break Science
Jojo Mayer / Nerve
Shigeto (sort of)
Darryl Reeves
Will Sessions

GURU Jazzmatazz Volumes, I am pretty sure they were recorded with proper jazz musicians. 
K-OS(he has a complete band with him)
K-Naan(I think he records his music live)

Many rappers or producers don't have live bands for the reasons such as lack of access of education as well as lack of funding. Which is why rappers rap in the first place, you don't need any equipment to create music, just your rhythm and delivery of words. That's pretty much the beauty of rap. I am speaking mostly of while rappers were growing up. GURU was actually well off (he had the oppurtunity to graduate university much like his brother who is a prof not) which is why I suppose he can venture off in to making jazz-themed albums. Other than chop and sampled bits of live recorded music, there isn't much rappers doing live instrument recording or care about the nuances of music. Although some do care about nuances but still wouldn't care much for doing live instruments ex: MF DOOM, RZA.

I checked your list sans roots. I am not even sure if they can be considered hip-hop. They seem to be more proper musicians than anything. Its better to be finding musicians in their genre that incorporates hip-hop, not the other way around.

Nov 24, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #2,814 of 3,914

GURU Jazzmatazz Volumes, I am pretty sure they were recorded with proper jazz musicians. 
K-OS(he has a complete band with him)
K-Naan(I think he records his music live)

Many rappers or producers don't have live bands for the reasons such as lack of access of education as well as lack of funding. Which is why rappers rap in the first place, you don't need any equipment to create music, just your rhythm and delivery of words. That's pretty much the beauty of rap. I am speaking mostly of while rappers were growing up. GURU was actually well off (he had the oppurtunity to graduate university much like his brother who is a prof not) which is why I suppose he can venture off in to making jazz-themed albums. Other than chop and sampled bits of live recorded music, there isn't much rappers doing live instrument recording or care about the nuances of music. Although some do care about nuances but still wouldn't care much for doing live instruments ex: MF DOOM, RZA.

I checked your list sans roots. I am not even sure if they can be considered hip-hop. They seem to be more proper musicians than anything. Its better to be finding musicians in their genre that incorporates hip-hop, not the other way around.

Thanks.

Yeah, maybe that's a better way of phrasing it because that's pretty much what I am looking for more of. I'm a drummer myself so while I also enjoy more straight ahead rap/hip hop, it is especially interesting to me when musicians incorporate various types of genres/feels that aren't always played by musicians.

Nov 24, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #2,815 of 3,914
  only in KPOP can ratchetness turn cute

^ No twerking no love!!! </3

LMAO i like how they have those token Brack doods just to sell it as more "legit" cuz they are doing some rap 'ish. And what the hell are they doing slamming those flat cardboards on the floor for??? Is that some hipster new game or something???
blink.gif
Oh how it pains me and my peoples seeing them getting disrespected and abused like that. T_T

IT HURTS IT HURTS SO MUCH!!!

The Procussions
Medeski Martin & Wood
Break Science
Jojo Mayer / Nerve
Shigeto (sort of)
Darryl Reeves
Will Sessions

^ Man live bands in a regular hip hip group is soooooo hard to sustain cuz of the size and lack of market in the pop music industry esp. if they only focus on jazz stuff. Though if you are asking for jazzy hip hip artists and producers there are a ton of them it seems but none have the capital is have their own live jazz band fo' sure.

Not really THAT into jazz hip hop myself cuz it's too laid back for me and can get boring cuz a lot of them ending sounding the same. I am more of an uptempo type cuz i need them bangerz for my Bball. :) 

BUT this site has crazy amount of indie jazz/hip-hop albums if you wanna check it out and is feeling adventurous with it.

http://hiphoprapjazz.blogspot.com/

Also if you want to try some really good Asian hip hop artists/ producers that use a lot of jazz elements in their beats, Soriheda 소리헤다, Mild Beats, or even Loptimist though he is more latin/ swingsy/ jazzy in style is a good place to start.

ShinSight Trio with a Jpnese producer Shin-ski and an American hip hop duo is pretty good with their jazzy sound.

One of my all time favorite jazz hip hop albums, though i haven't listened to many is Taiwanese hip hop artist Soft Lipa's collaboration album with real Jpnese band Jabberloop.  Still need to check Jabberloops albums out cuz have put it on the back burners. haha 

Like i said not really THAT into this jazzy hip hop stuff so i am sure others, like Twinkies and kooky nick that are MUCH more well versed/ acquainted with this sub genre can chip in.

Nov 24, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #2,816 of 3,914

Yeah, I really like jazzy hip hop myself. Thanks for all the links.

As far as I can tell it also seems like musicians who are interested in experimenting with similar styles are not very common, or at least not readily found. Around where I live it seems like almost everybody only plays rock. I guess it's a relatively new thing. Pretty much all of the stuff I mentioned and am aware of so far only started coming out or into some form of prominence in the last few years, or the last decade at most.

Nov 24, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #2,817 of 3,914

Yeah, I really like jazzy hip hop myself. Thanks for all the links.

As far as I can tell it also seems like musicians who are interested in experimenting with similar styles are not very common, or at least not readily found. Around where I live it seems like almost everybody only plays rock. I guess it's a relatively new thing. Pretty much all of the stuff I mentioned and am aware of so far only started coming out or into some form of prominence in the last few years, or the last decade at most.

Hmmm maybe Trip-hop might be something you are interested in??? Stateless is a band that uses live instruments and fuses a lot of electronica elements into their sound. I love both of their albums cuz it's really well mastered and is unique sounding. All the rage these days seems to be dubstep/ eletronica fused hip hop or trap beats cuz Southern Hip Hop/ beats has that mass appeal right now.

Despite Twinkies thinks Simo is meh, i think his album with mood schula is pretty damn amazing and has international appeal. You don't even have to understand the language to appreciate the funky, groovy, trippy and glitchy beats. There are a couple of English features as well, so..... just love this album.

http://www.hiphopplaya.com/album/view.html?pid=&aid=60951&num=62458

There are just soooo many sub-genres of hip hop/rap that it gets confusing at times BUT it is hard to find great sounding acts that does it REALLY well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hip_hop_genres

Nov 24, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #2,818 of 3,914
hip-hop is not supposed to have sub-genres as it already takes in different genres within itself. 

Nov 24, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #2,820 of 3,914
nice wisdom, you deserve ice cream

...maybe not

Users who are viewing this thread

Back