VSonic GR07: Exquisitely Balanced
Jun 13, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #33 of 43
The idea of one product being better gets a bit foolish at this audio level.  On a low end level there are always blatant flaws or limitations, things that absolutely one product better than another.  Once you start getting into the $150 plus range, it starts to really become an issue of better fit to a particular individual rather than absolutely better.

Jun 13, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #34 of 43

Quote:
The idea of one product being better gets a bit foolish at this audio level.  On a low end level there are always blatant flaws or limitations, things that absolutely one product better than another.  Once you start getting into the $150 plus range, it starts to really become an issue of better fit to a particular individual rather than absolutely better.

While I agree with your post to some extent, I don't quite see things the way you do.

Case in point: the SF5 v2 was $165 when I purchased my set 2.5 years ago. Now they're $82 and it's not a sale price. Basically, UE have decided to lower their prices drastically in the last couple of years, most likely due to the fierce competition from pretty good IEMs coming from Asia. 

I'm absolutely positive that if Shure had released their new SE215 one or two years ago, they'd have been at least $200, specially considering their very good build-quality & accessories - they'd called it something other than SE215 to make consumers think it was a more fancy product, not just a newer version of the SE210. They've priced the SE215 very aggressively because of the competition in that price range. In fact, the SE215 is a completely new IEM, and not just a 'revamped' SE210, the former being a DD IEM while the latter is a BA IEM.

Only a few years ago the TF10 cost over $350, and it was widely accepted that no $150 IEM could match the sonic qualities of the TF10. These days - never mind the $95 Xmas deal - the TF10 can easily be had for $150. There seems to be a new $80 IEM, the Spider Realvoice, which seems to compete pretty well with much more expensive IEMs. More reviews are still needed to see if that really is the case, but they look promising. The Hippo VB at $79 seems to be another IEM that costs less than $100 that seems to compete pretty well with much more expensive IEMs.

So, where do you draw the line when you say "low end level", $30, $50, $70, $100, $120, $140? Are we talking $150 in the US only? The new Sony EX600 costs $200 in the US, $327 in the UK and $288 in the rest of the European Union. The Sennheiser IE8 in the US is much more expensive than it is in Europe.

Jun 13, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #35 of 43
Great first review esanthosh.

music_4321: Don't get too distracted from the topic. :)

Jun 13, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #36 of 43
Esanthosh! Much thanks for the awesome write-up. I have one question for you: I listen predominantly to metal - a lot of progressive, death, etc - nothing really uber sparkly like Dragonforce. My only point of reference for now is the Radius DDM and I know that they're very much considered to be a fun, warm and easy-listening 'phone. How do the GR07 compare? Will I find them comparatively sibilant or lacking in bass to a jarring extent?

Thanks, mang.

Jun 13, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #37 of 43
@Currawong,

Thanks

@mickcenary,

I hope you mean the DDM-1. Since I no longer have it, I'll have to go by my few listening impressions I wrote back in the day.

I think the difference in bass quantity would be easily noticeable - certainly to a jarring extent in this case. Another aspect you would lose would be the sound stage width. I found DDM-1 to have more of an "open" sound stage, whereas GR07, while good may not have as much width (or even depth?). With treble, GR07 should be a lot more forward and would carry more sparkle. DDM-1 had an unique blended presentation, which required a bit of adjustment, but GR07's presentation is more normal.

Coming to sibilance, it would be noticeable, but not alarming (like Hippo VB). For casual listening sessions, it should not be that much of an issue (unless you listen at louder volumes). As I have mentioned a couple of times in the review, GR07 does not do anything 'special' to divert your attention. CK10 is a little more transparent and 'rough' if you will, at times. But, I get easily lost in it's presentation, the way it does treble, the placement etc., With GR07, it's more of an annoyance, because it is the only thing that sticks out a little and makes me think "If only this has been completely tamed, it would be perfect". Overall, a minor annoyance, which would be noticeable with sibilant recordings, but not enough to make GR07 a lesser IEM than it deserves to be.

Jun 14, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #38 of 43
Quote:
@Currawong,

Thanks

@mickcenary,

I hope you mean the DDM-1. Since I no longer have it, I'll have to go by my few listening impressions I wrote back in the day.

I think the difference in bass quantity would be easily noticeable - certainly to a jarring extent in this case. Another aspect you would lose would be the sound stage width. I found DDM-1 to have more of an "open" sound stage, whereas GR07, while good may not have as much width (or even depth?). With treble, GR07 should be a lot more forward and would carry more sparkle. DDM-1 had an unique blended presentation, which required a bit of adjustment, but GR07's presentation is more normal.

Coming to sibilance, it would be noticeable, but not alarming (like Hippo VB). For casual listening sessions, it should not be that much of an issue (unless you listen at louder volumes). As I have mentioned a couple of times in the review, GR07 does not do anything 'special' to divert your attention. CK10 is a little more transparent and 'rough' if you will, at times. But, I get easily lost in it's presentation, the way it does treble, the placement etc., With GR07, it's more of an annoyance, because it is the only thing that sticks out a little and makes me think "If only this has been completely tamed, it would be perfect". Overall, a minor annoyance, which would be noticeable with sibilant recordings, but not enough to make GR07 a lesser IEM than it deserves to be.

Thanks for the speedy reply, esanthosh. And yes, I am talking about the DDM 1; the TWF-11K, to be exact. 

Hmm. I've been hearing excellent things about the GR07's soundstage, but if you say that the Radius' is better, then that's certainly interesting. I love the sound signature of the Radius. I have a feeling that I may just revert to them if I detect sibilance in the GR07, which is a shame, but probably the honest truth regarding my aural preference, as I do enjoy an easy-going sound. My brother has a set of Ortofon EQ-7 and I find them a bit too bright for my liking. Any word on how they compare to the GR07?

That being said, do you have any recommendations for a superior subtitute to the Radius, i.e. technically more competent, but in the same vein in terms of sound signature? I'm guessing you'll say the DDM 2... Haha.

Thanks, dude.

Jun 14, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #39 of 43
GR07's sound stage is excellent in it's own right, but it is not the most spacious sounding IEM. It does have good width, but not as much depth or height.

I have not heard the e-Q7, but I think e-Q5 is somewhat similar. I think only a few have heard both e-Q7 and GR07 (clieOS, Joker - the usual suspects, may be a few others). But, if e-Q7 feels brighter to you, I think you are better off with something that places slightly less emphasis on treble. GR07 fits that description well. But I cannot really judge what you'll feel about that small bump in the spectrum. You may never mind it as much as I do
smile.gif

Musical, engaging, technically better than DDM-1? I am tempted to say FX700, currently my favorite dynamic. But, it lacks isolation and is more U or V-shaped, so not exactly similar. It is a slight bit more aggressive when it comes to highs, so may not be your cup of tea. As for DDM2, I have a "want/ don't want" dilemma. Technically, it sure seems like a better tuned version of DDM-1, but I just don't feel like spending $250 for it. For all I know, it may not impress me as much as FX700.

What about Monster MDT? I myself have not heard it, but based on comparisons to FX700, it might be something worth considering. Edit: On second thoughts, may not be as good for you - http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/558156/my-take-on-the-radius-twf21-complete

Sep 8, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #41 of 43
I must admit, this is quite possibly one of the best write-ups I've read to date. Kudos to you esanthosh, for an excellent read my friend! 
beerchug.gif

Sep 8, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #43 of 43
^^Just read, a great review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back