VSonic GR07: Exquisitely Balanced
Jun 12, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #17 of 43
Am I really the only one who thought these were a tad bit bright? I'll have to burn them in more I guess. Even though I already did 150 hours.

Jun 12, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #18 of 43
@AustinMorrow

I really won't use 'bright' to describe GR07

Let's eliminate other factors:

1. Straight out of the box or 230 hours later, GR07 was never bright. So, I doubt if it's the burn-in
  2. I thought your HisoundAudio Studio-V could be an issue. But, mark2410 has done the review using it as one of the sources. I am sure between all the GR07 reviews, a good variety of sources have already been tried.
  3. It's not the tips either - as I also used the stock tips for this review.

which makes me think - you may be using the wrong term to describe what you are hearing. Did you compare GR07 to your other IEMs? That's always a very good way to figure out IEM's sound signature.

@jant71, mukulymn

Thanks

Jun 12, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #19 of 43

Quote:
@AustinMorrow

I really won't use 'bright' to describe GR07

Let's eliminate other factors:

1. Straight out of the box or 230 hours later, GR07 was never bright. So, I doubt if it's the burn-in
  2. I thought your HisoundAudio Studio-V could be an issue. But, mark2410 has done the review using it as one of the sources. I am sure between all the GR07 reviews, a good variety of sources have already been tried.
  3. It's not the tips either - as I also used the stock tips for this review.

which makes me think - you may be using the wrong term to describe what you are hearing. Did you compare GR07 to your other IEMs? That's always a very good way to figure out IEM's sound signature.

@jant71, mukulymn

Thanks

I actually think I have found the problem as pointed out by another Head Fi member.

•The HiSound Audio Studio-V was putting out a lot of power and was pretty loud even at half volume.
•Also, the only treble songs I really listened to where DragonForce and some other treble heavy ones, which the song itself is bright.

I am going to listen to some other less treble heavy songs and update on my review. Just bad auditioning on my part probably.

Jun 12, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #20 of 43
I found the problem. It's what I described above. I'll audition for a few more hours with less volume and less higher velocity songs. :) Sounds good so far. 

Jun 12, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #21 of 43
esanthosh, great review. It was a very informative read. If you could though, would you mind briefly comparing the gr07 to your PFE? I'm especially interested in how the gr07's dynamic range compares, as the PFE has the best dynamics I've yet heard in an IEM.

Jun 12, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #22 of 43
@AustinMorrow,

I think you need to start paying attention to the SPL levels. As much as I love this hobby, preserving hearing comes first.

@JxK,

I would love to. But, my Phonak PFE is on loan and it's unlikely to come back anytime soon. I will update this thread once it comes back. As for dynamic range, I'd think both would turn out just fine.

Jun 12, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #23 of 43
I like the Gr07 so much, I might get rid of my Ck10s but not sure yet.
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 13, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #24 of 43
Excellent review.  Having used everything but the SM3, I feel you're pretty spot on with everything and included to highlight a little of the little details that make each product unique and different from others.

Jun 13, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #25 of 43
Very comprehensive and well written review, I appreciate all the hard work you've put into it. I especially like the "who should buy it?" section, as it anticipates a lot of questions from prospective buyers and thus is exceptionally helpful.
smile_phones.gif

Jun 13, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #26 of 43
Great stuff, very comprehensive. Having heard all the IEMs compared,  I also tend to agree to most of the comparisons. 

Jun 13, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #27 of 43

Quote:
I like the Gr07 so much, I might get rid of my Ck10s but not sure yet.
ksc75smile.gif

The CK10 is HF's sacred cow and as such I'd be very careful about making any comments that might upset members of our community. If you decide to sell your pair, please do NOT make it public, or at least not in the way you have. 

FYI, to sell your CK10s you'll need to get written authorisation from |joker|. You must contact him and give detailed reasons for your decision. I suggest you don't mention there may be a better IEM out there, but stick to more mature and humane reasons such as "My twins are starting college soon and I desperately need all the money I can get", "My doctor has just broken the news that I'm allergic to IEMs" "My dog's just died and I can't afford the funeral costs", "My wife's just left me, has taken the kids with her as well as the car, the dog and everything else she could find. All I was left with was my CK10s and plenty of cold beer in the fridge", etc.

---------------------------

esanthosh,

A very nice & useful review, quite engaging and well written. Although I'm not particularly fond of the SM3 & CK10, we can, of course, agree to disagree.

Jun 13, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #28 of 43
First off, thanks to mvw2, james444, Inks & music_4321. It's encouraging to get comments from experienced head-fiers.

It would not be out of place to mention that mvw2's comprehensive posts have helped me a lot in expanding my knowledge, some of which was highly useful for writing this review as well.

Quote:
 I especially like the "who should buy it?" section, as it anticipates a lot of questions from prospective buyers and thus is exceptionally helpful.
smile_phones.gif

Hope to include that section in all my future reviews as well.

Quote:

A very nice & useful review, quite engaging and well written. Although I'm not particularly fond of the SM3 & CK10, we can, of course, agree to disagree.

Thanks. About CK10 and SM3 - agreed!
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #29 of 43
Quote:
The CK10 is HF's sacred cow and as such I'd be very careful about making any comments that might upset members of our community. If you decide to sell your pair, please do NOT make it public, or at least not in the way you have. 

FYI, to sell your CK10s you'll need to get written authorisation from |joker|. You must contact him and give detailed reasons for your decision. I suggest you don't mention there may be a better IEM out there, but stick to more mature and humane reasons such as "My twins are starting college soon and I desperately need all the money I can get", "My doctor has just broken the news that I'm allergic to IEMs" "My dog's just died and I can't afford the funeral costs", "My wife's just left me, has taken the kids with her as well as the car, the dog and everything else she could find. All I was left with was my CK10s and plenty of cold beer in the fridge", etc.

---------------------------

esanthosh,

Of course this raises the obvious question: If there was only the SM3 & CK10 and someone put a gun to your head, which one would you choose?
ksc75smile.gif

(sorry for OT, couldn't resist)

Jun 13, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #30 of 43
^ Well, in that case I'd beg for mercy and insist I'm given a pair of Apple earbuds or Skullcandies. If still forced to only choose between the SM3s & CK10s, with a gun to my head, I'd choose the gun.  :wink:

On a slightly more serious note, in order of preference I'd take the $170 CKM99, the now reduced (£50) SF5 v2, (and even the $100 SE215 & EX500) over the SM3 & CK10. The truth is I've never heard any Skullcandies and I've always had fit issues with canal-phones, but when I actually pushed the iBuds & specially the MDRE888s against my ears and kept holding them with my hands, the SQ I got from them was, in my view, more balanced, satisfying and, ultimately, more convincing than what I got from the SM3s & CK10s.

Now, back to the GR-07s...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back