VSONIC GR07 Classic Color 2014 Edition: Unboxing and first impressions
Oct 6, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #196 of 310
Congrats. I've owned them for going on 7 or so months now, and they still put a smile of disbelief on my face every time I come back to them after a short while away, or having used other earphones inbetween.

Oct 7, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #197 of 310
  Congrats. I've owned them for going on 7 or so months now, and they still put a smile of disbelief on my face every time I come back to them after a short while away, or having used other earphones inbetween.

Thanks! I got to do some critical listening last night - just on my LG G3 and the sound is amazing! Very pleased with these IEM's. 

I'm not crazy about the case. It is a leatherette pouch with a metal closing mechanism. To tuck the IEM in there the cord has to be wound fairly tightly. I wonder if this causes damage over the long term?  I'll use an old  MEElectronics case instead.

Oct 7, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #198 of 310
True, I never use the case myself. I've got a couple of cheap square small plastic containers with lids I use for storage. Also I never wind the cable tighter than it naturally wants to go, and never bend it at hard edges, so it's always wound in a fairly loose circle. I believe it's the outer shell that wants to resist the bending and not the internals, but it still feels a bit wrong to bend it.

What's your favored genre of music by the way?

Oct 8, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #199 of 310
  True, I never use the case myself. I've got a couple of cheap square small plastic containers with lids I use for storage. Also I never wind the cable tighter than it naturally wants to go, and never bend it at hard edges, so it's always wound in a fairly loose circle. I believe it's the outer shell that wants to resist the bending and not the internals, but it still feels a bit wrong to bend it.

What's your favored genre of music by the way?

At the moment I'm gravitating toward crunchy, electronic, synthesizer kind of sound that is difficult to describe but I know it when I hear it. Examples,  Eno, Clark, Arp, the new Aphex Twin, etc. But I listen to a broad range of genres - indie, psychedelic, country (but not "new" country). The only truly popular band off the top of my head that I listen to is Radiohead / Thom Yorke. I also listen to new classical.

I'm really loving the GR07. But I'm looking for some alternate tips. Haven't tried the included foam but those are a pain to insert in the ear - compressing just right...

Oct 8, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #200 of 310
For me as far as sound goes I get the best results from the Sony hybrids that were included on my first pair of Classics (when they were still including all the tips included with the MKII edition with the Classic aswell). Depending on the tips you can shift the frequency of the treble peaks slightly.

I believe this table might give you somewhat of an idea:

http://rinchoi.blogspot.se/2012/10/the-effect-of-ear-sleeves-vsonic-gr07.html

Personally I've found that with some, wider bore tips the treble sounds slightly airier, however it can also feel slightly less filled in between the 6 and 10k peaks, so you might loose some treble texture and presence and even-ness.

Oct 8, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #201 of 310
  For me as far as sound goes I get the best results from the Sony hybrids that were included on my first pair of Classics (when they were still including all the tips included with the MKII edition with the Classic aswell). Depending on the tips you can shift the frequency of the treble peaks slightly.

I believe this table might give you somewhat of an idea:

http://rinchoi.blogspot.se/2012/10/the-effect-of-ear-sleeves-vsonic-gr07.html

Personally I've found that with some, wider bore tips the treble sounds slightly airier, however it can also feel slightly less filled in between the 6 and 10k peaks, so you might loose some treble texture and presence and even-ness.

Very useful information. Thanks!

Oct 8, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #202 of 310
I like the stock mediums, bi-flanges, and MH1 tips. You might try these too. http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Original_Eartips_for_M6_M6P_Earphone_p/tipset4-m6bk-mee.htm 

There's also a thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/579151/gr07-tips-thread

Oct 23, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #203 of 310
Wow! Ive read a lot of great reviews concerning the Gr07s but for whatever reason never tried them. Im glad i finally did. These are amazing for the price. The clarity of the lows and highs, the smooth mids, the spacious sounstage. I really like what i hear. The foam tips that came with them work great for me. Isolation is outstanding. Love these!

Oct 31, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #204 of 310
Nice thread here.  There was a nice deal on the web and I decided to go for it,  GR07 Classic it will be.  Looking forward to enjoy these in a few weeks!

For now, my top iem is the Ostry KC06A.

Oct 31, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #205 of 310
Ok I caved in and bought this. $80 on sale! I hope they're better than my iM50's

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #206 of 310
I've been using the GR07 CE for 3+ weeks now. Overall I'm very satisfied!

Two outstanding issues:
-The stock tips didn't fit my ears, so switched to Meelctronic tips. Much better but not perfect. This is likely an issue with my ear canals and not the Gr07. I have foam core Sony Hybrids on the way from Japan via Amazon - as mentioned in the Gr07 tip thread, Crossing my fingers that will help. I haven't tried the included foam tip. I hate the idea of using a consumable tip.
-The over ear cable guide always flops out. It's annoying but I can't say it interferes much once they are inserted. But still, they get in the way.

Unfortunately the GR07 isn't my go to IEM for the subway or when walking outdoors. I definitely wouldn't use in the gym or running outdoors.

Are there good over ear cable guides (ear guards) that work with the GR07 CE - better than the stock?

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #207 of 310
  I'm not concerned about durability. If they fail within the first year I get a fresh set and hopefully production issues resolved. If after 12 months they break that's OK. For $100 not a big deal. It will be an excuse to get something new and better.

If they break, we need to try to repair them. I had repaired my Sony EX300LP iem many many times, and listened it between 2008 to 2012

Nov 2, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #208 of 310
If they break, we need to try to repair them. I had repaired my Sony EX300LP iem many many times, and listened it between 2008 to 2012

yeah its not a rocket science either fixing them....the challenge is opening the shells but not that big tho and most of the headphone's drivers can be accessed unscrewing the screws....soldering the broken or new cables (recabling) needs little patience for the new hobbyists and once everything is complete,its back to life.....Unless its dead drivers. :D

Nov 2, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #209 of 310
My CE ordered and ready for pickup by carrier......hope it wont disappoint me....if its a straight buy it wld'nt bother me but having 3S & LE already,will it outclass both?....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back