VSONIC GR07 Classic Color 2014 Edition: Unboxing and first impressions
Sep 9, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #182 of 310
Thanks man.

Might aswell link the full resolution images if they might be useful however.

http://i.imgur.com/Fth7P1p.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2sFV7Ho.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1Df2c8O.jpg 

http://i.imgur.com/Ja4toLU.jpg 

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #183 of 310
Had my GR07CE for nearly two weeks now, which means they've outlasted the VSD1S (right driver actually died, not a cable issue) that I had prior. Not impressed with VSonic quality at all, clearly I'm a slow learner to have bought another pair.

The VSD1S had more bass quantity while matching the GR07 for tightness in my opinion. I assumed being happy with the quantity on the VSD1S that I'd be happy with the CE instead of BE, but in hindsight I should have probably grabbed the BE. I'm using hybrid-copy tips which seem to work better than the stock items.

The good news is that the sibilance died down within 24h or so of usage, leaving an accurate treble and midrange. Electric guitars sound amazing. Separation is pretty good and the sound signature is fairly neutral. Soundstage has very good width for an IEM as most reviews state. I have EQ'd in more bass but it's a fine line between quantity and accuracy/muddiness when doing that, seems to work well for some albums and not for others.

Hopefully the GR drivers will last longer than the VS.

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #184 of 310
Had my GR07CE for nearly two weeks now, which means they've outlasted the VSD1S (right driver actually died, not a cable issue) that I had prior. Not impressed with VSonic quality at all, clearly I'm a slow learner to have bought another pair.

The VSD1S had more bass quantity while matching the GR07 for tightness in my opinion. I assumed being happy with the quantity on the VSD1S that I'd be happy with the CE instead of BE, but in hindsight I should have probably grabbed the BE. I'm using hybrid-copy tips which seem to work better than the stock items.

The good news is that the sibilance died down within 24h or so of usage, leaving an accurate treble and midrange. Electric guitars sound amazing. Separation is pretty good and the sound signature is fairly neutral. Soundstage has very good width for an IEM as most reviews state. I have EQ'd in more bass but it's a fine line between quantity and accuracy/muddiness when doing that, seems to work well for some albums and not for others.

Hopefully the GR drivers will last longer than the VS.

Right driver went out on your VSD1's? Interesting. On my pair of GR07CE that recently just happened to, and I sent them out for repair. Though you are the second occurrence I have seen, or heared, with a driver outtage. Hopefully just a coincidence.

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #185 of 310
Right driver went out on your VSD1's? Interesting. On my pair of GR07CE that recently just happened to, and I sent them out for repair. Though you are the second occurrence I have seen, or heared, with a driver outtage. Hopefully just a coincidence.

That really sucks to hear. I think this problem is more common than is made public, although the GR07 seems to fare better than the VS lineup for some reason. I was told by LMUE that plenty of VSD3 have already been returned for driver failures, along with the previous D1 series. They said that the GRs were better, but who knows what that means.

How long did you use your CEs? If mine drop a driver without lasting at least 4-6 months, they will be the last VSonic item I purchase. If they last over 6 months I suppose I can deal with replacing at that interval.

I did notice that both the VS and GR items don't use a strain dissipation in form of a knot tied in the cables inside the housing before being soldered. They rely on the glue bond between the cable and rubber grommet to transfer loading. I'm not sure if that could possibly be a contributor to failure, but it basically means that after any glue melts (body heat etc), the cables can actually pull on the back of the driver.

I'd be interested in opinions on whether this could be the cause of premature driver failure. I have seen a few pictures where the driver has separated.

Sep 19, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #187 of 310
I think the GR07s feel quite solid. They do lack a good strain relief on both the earphone and plug end, the cable goes into hard plastic essentially. The plug is angled though so it's generally easy to not have ot pointing into pockets or such.

And I use the included earguides when wearing them, which means that any tension in the cable is generally dissipated by the earguide over your ear, it never feels like the cable is tugging on the actual driver or housing.

Sep 19, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #188 of 310
  I think the GR07s feel quite solid. They do lack a good strain relief on both the earphone and plug end, the cable goes into hard plastic essentially. The plug is angled though so it's generally easy to not have ot pointing into pockets or such.

And I use the included earguides when wearing them, which means that any tension in the cable is generally dissipated by the earguide over your ear, it never feels like the cable is tugging on the actual driver or housing.

Thank you! Very useful.

Sep 19, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #189 of 310

That really sucks to hear. I think this problem is more common than is made public, although the GR07 seems to fare better than the VS lineup for some reason. I was told by LMUE that plenty of VSD3 have already been returned for driver failures, along with the previous D1 series. They said that the GRs were better, but who knows what that means.

How long did you use your CEs? If mine drop a driver without lasting at least 4-6 months, they will be the last VSonic item I purchase. If they last over 6 months I suppose I can deal with replacing at that interval.

I did notice that both the VS and GR items don't use a strain dissipation in form of a knot tied in the cables inside the housing before being soldered. They rely on the glue bond between the cable and rubber grommet to transfer loading. I'm not sure if that could possibly be a contributor to failure, but it basically means that after any glue melts (body heat etc), the cables can actually pull on the back of the driver.

I'd be interested in opinions on whether this could be the cause of premature driver failure. I have seen a few pictures where the driver has separated.

It was just shy of 6 months when it failed.

Sep 24, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #191 of 310
  I read the whole thread and others, I find the GR07 CE very interesting, but can't risk any durability issues... Have they improved or is it a higher than the norm risk?

Higher than normal for sure, I wouldn't let anyone fool you on this. Most people I have asked have reported failures within 6-8 months. The lowest number I have heard is 5 months so far, so they're substantially better than the VS series. If you are happy with ~6 months then buy them, and be thankful if they last 12 - but I wouldn't buy them with expectations of a long lifespan.

You can get them warrantied if you buy from somewhere like LMUE and they fail within a year, but having to return them is a pain.

Quote:

The VSD1S had more bass quantity while matching the GR07 for tightness in my opinion. I assumed being happy with the quantity on the VSD1S that I'd be happy with the CE instead of BE, but in hindsight I should have probably grabbed the BE.

Thought I should update, after a week of break-in, the bass opened right up and is as good if not better than the VSD1S - tight and accurate. I've had to change my EQ setting from when I first got them from aggressive bass to just a moderate increase. Seems like the CE was indeed the right choice, no desire for the BE now.

It's a shame about the longevity issues as these are quite fantastic for the price.

Sep 24, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #192 of 310

Thought I should update, after a week of break-in, the bass opened right up and is as good if not better than the VSD1S - tight and accurate. I've had to change my EQ setting from when I first got them from aggressive bass to just a moderate increase. Seems like the CE was indeed the right choice, no desire for the BE now.

It's a shame about the longevity issues as these are quite fantastic for the price.

Thanks, yes it's a shame, returning them for the warranty would be a huge hassle for me.

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #193 of 310

Thanks, yes it's a shame, returning them for the warranty would be a huge hassle for me.

The warranty was quite easy. The wait no so bad. Took me less than a month to ship out and receive it back from LMURE's.

Oct 1, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #194 of 310
Got my Classics from LMUREs. Very very impressed thus far. Infact so impressed its making question why if I should sell my Beoplay H6, they sound muddy when compared to the GR07. 
Great headphones.. going to do some listening on both to make sure I don't waste money with the H6.

Oct 6, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #195 of 310
My VSONIC GR07 just arrived from LMUE - via Ebay. It was shipped from Chicago (free shipping option) and the total time was 5 working days - sent by 1st class - USPS. I tried them for a few minutes and sound great and the stock tips appear to fit, but time will tell. No directions in English but none really needed.

I'm not concerned about durability. If they fail within the first year I get a fresh set and hopefully production issues resolved. If after 12 months they break that's OK. For $100 not a big deal. It will be an excuse to get something new and better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back